LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hood shock/strut fix (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 02:50 PM
davenet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, I need some too. He doesn't have any available right now or at least not any auctions listed. How did these turn out for anyone that has installed them?

David
Old 04-12-06, 06:28 PM
davenet
Driver School Candidate

Ya, I found those too. I emailed the other guy to see if he has any not listed on Ebay. These are more, but still the pair is almost half the price of a single one at the dealer, from what I hear.

David
Old 04-12-06, 11:47 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed the mighty lift struts and the hood was hard to close and still takes a little force now. My hood has not bowed and I absolutely love them. I am not a small guy, and it takes a bit of effort for me to close. I think it iks because these struts are meant for a hatch on the back of a car/truck and would normally have the extra weight of the door to aid in the closing, a hood just doesn't compare. So for all the small framed guys that go the mighty lift route, the stgrut is not defective, it is just a mighty powerful strut itself to compress.
Old 04-19-06, 03:50 PM
patcom
Driver School Candidate

I bought a pair of mighty lift shocks from Auto-zone.I have not tried to install them yet,but compared them to the origionals and they look about 1/2 inch shorter and about half of the diameter.Does anyone know if these differences cause problems when installed? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-06, 04:33 PM
davenet
Driver School Candidate

I was looking at buying some from Ebay. Hoping to find some that are drop-in replacement and don't require fiddling with 'adjusting' them in any way.

David

Last edited by RA40; 10-23-18 at 11:10 PM. Reason: dead link removed
Old 04-19-06, 05:38 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davenet
I was looking at buying some from Ebay. Hoping to find some that are drop-in replacement and don't require fiddling with 'adjusting' them in any way.

David
i bought mine 2 months ago from that ebay member, and it was a direct replacement & no adjustments were needed.

Last edited by RA40; 10-23-18 at 11:11 PM. Reason: dead link removed
Old 04-19-06, 07:03 PM
jz4203
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uncle_el
i bought mine 2 months ago from that ebay member, and it was a direct replacement & no adjustments were needed.
I just made a purchase from this ebay member for my 96 LS400 based on your success. Can't wait to be able to stop using my daughter's old field hockey stick to hold the hood up.
Thanks Uncle El.
Old 04-19-06, 09:41 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by patcom
I bought a pair of mighty lift shocks from Auto-zone.I have not tried to install them yet,but compared them to the origionals and they look about 1/2 inch shorter and about half of the diameter.Does anyone know if these differences cause problems when installed? Thanks in advance.
There are many threads on this, will just speak briefly. Make sure you have the corfrect replacements from Autozone (MIghtylift C95029). Will nolt show in their comp as being correct but this is what other fellow members as well as myself are using. From your description, it sound like you dont have the correct ones. Positives for install,, (a)works flawlessly, (b) 1 strut can actually support the entire hood (c) easily replaced if ever in need again. Negatives for install,,, (a) strut is super strong, requires alot of effort to close hood once installed until strut is broken in and even then, still requires alot of effort to close. (b) ball end of old strut must be reused with new strut and you will either have to grind out, cut out, or drill out opening so that you can get old ball end out of old strut. (c) some members complain of hood bending from this strut. personally I haven't had any problems but check the threads and make your own decision.
Easiest route is to either go to dealer (sorry but expensive), or find direct replacements on
EBAY (hurry because in reading some of the threads here, supply is running scarce).
Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-06, 09:31 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trukn1
(b) ball end of old strut must be reused with new strut and you will either have to grind out, cut out, or drill out opening so that you can get old ball end out of old strut.
a big reason to try and find the ones on ebay is that you do not have to do this step. rather, you replace both the strut and the ball end, as it comes together. with the ones from auto zone, you need to get out a dremel and go to work!
Old 04-21-06, 10:31 AM
Rice
Pole Position

I bought mine from eBay a few weeks ago:
They are much harder to compress then stock, but it does not bother me. I actually love to see how my hood raises up by itself once I give it a light upwords shove. I highly recommend these shocks and this seller. He shipped 30 minutes after I paid! That's service.

Last edited by RA40; 10-24-18 at 01:47 AM. Reason: dead link removed
Old 01-09-07, 08:01 PM
omarkamal
Driver

I got the ebay struts they installed easy, direct replacement - but they are hard to close and are bowing my hood just a bit, do you have any tips on resolving the bowing of the hood, some said remove one stut? will the bowing damage the hood - I also see the hood vibrate just a little with the new struts - I don't want them to break the latch and the hood to fly open when driving.
Old 01-09-07, 10:02 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got the Mighty Lifts installed, the only problem I ran into was one of the ball joints wasn't machine properly (meaning it wouldn't fit into the strut clamp).

I used my grinder (on an air compressor) to "machine" that baby down. The hood pops up slightly when I pull the hood release latch, and needs slight force to push it down, but no complaints as I was sick of using a metal rod to prop up the hood.

I paid $25 for each at Autozone locally, I think they charged me for shipping or something.

-avalon42
Old 01-11-07, 07:02 PM
Lzam
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Mightylift

I bought mine from autozone took a crowbar hooked the ball joints they poped right out put in the mightylift, Hood closed tight and strong no problem at all!
Old 01-11-07, 10:11 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rice
I bought mine from eBay a few weeks ago:
They are much harder to compress then stock, but it does not bother me. I actually love to see how my hood raises up by itself once I give it a light upwords shove. I highly recommend these shocks and this seller. He shipped 30 minutes after I paid! That's service.
Yeah, I got them too, but I hold my hand over the top of the hood when I open it. The time I didn't, it let the hood fly open way too fast. I didn't notice any bowing of the hood to speak of, however.

Last edited by RA40; 10-24-18 at 01:48 AM. Reason: dead link removed
Old 04-14-07, 09:25 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

i just got two Stabilus struts off ebay for about $66. even i could put them on easily. they work well and are not so strong that they threaten to bend the hood.

Quick Reply: Hood shock/strut fix (The Mother thread)