LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Heater not working

Old 10-03-03, 03:42 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heater not working

on a 1992 LS400. Blows absolutely luke warm air, then turns cold if fan is left on. If fan is shut for a few mins, it blows luke warm air for a minute and then becomes frigid cold. IS there a way to bypass a valve or something and make it blow full HOT, which I can control by either increasing or decreasing the fan speed? All help is appreciated. Simple DIY solutions preferred. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-03, 04:40 PM
RODDMOD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the flow control valve coming from and installed in the heater core hose, it has a control cable going to it.
Old 10-03-03, 05:33 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply, but where is this located? In the cabin, passenger or driver side, or under the hood, and what is the location. Also since I moved, the nearest Lexus dealership is 3 hours away.
Also is this something I can rig up, or has to be replaced? Please help, kids are freezing
Thanks again.

Originally posted by RODDMOD
Replace the flow control valve coming from and installed in the heater core hose, it has a control cable going to it.
Old 10-03-03, 06:37 PM
bokomba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is in the fire wall under the hood on the passenger side and also sometimes when this valve goes bad, it leaks coolant in the passenger foot well. It should be easy to spot, it will have the hoses going in and out and the cable used to open and close. I would also make sure the thermostat is good.

Last edited by bokomba; 10-03-03 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-04-03, 05:16 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

I shall try these suggestions. Thank you very much for them.

Originally posted by bokomba
It is in the fire wall under the hood on the passenger side and also sometimes when this valve goes bad, it leaks coolant in the passenger foot well. It should be easy to spot, it will have the hoses going in and out and the cable used to open and close. I would also make sure the thermostat is good.
Old 10-07-03, 12:56 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Originally posted by bokomba
Bingo that was it!!!! A bit of coolant had leaked and corroded the valve. I scrubbed the rust and accumulation off and sprayed it with WD40, and manually moved it up and down until it was moving freely. The control motor is broken, so then I left the valve in the UP position, and bang, nothing but nice warm air. I have the temp in the MAX position, and I can control the heat by choosing fan speed, and the recirculation button.

Bokomba, Sir I thank you for your tip. The damn mecahic here in West Virginia wanted $1200 to fix the LCD screen, to get the codes, to figure what was wrong, and then God know how much to fix it. SOB charged me 50 bucks just to tell me I needed to get a new screen.

Now no more dressing up in 3 layers of pants, 2 shirts+ 1 sweater + 1 jacket, 1 cap + ski mask, 2 pairs of socks + winter shoes, and a scarf. Yes, that's what was needed when going on my weekly 500 mile trips!!!

Yippeeee! Thanks again Bokomba!!!