LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-03, 06:56 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth

Has anyone who has purchased a 2004 LS430 tried to connect a Bluetooth compatible phone? I'm trying to decide if it is worth purchasing a separate cell phone and having a second phone number (and monthly bill) just for the convenience of being able to speak through the audio system and dial numbers through the navigation screen. Lexus has a very small list of "certified" cell phones that have been approved. I hear the list is going to grow, but for now there are limited options for taking advantage of this feature in the car.

If anyone has experience in making this work, I would appreciate you sharing your experience with it.

The car is a dream to drive. My first Lexus too!
Old 10-01-03, 08:41 PM
TestnDoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exBimmer,

I bought a bluetooth Nokia 6310i...it works well with the navigation system, and is very cool and easy to use...basically u can have the phone in your pocket, and when a calls comes in it will be displayed on the nav screen and audio is muted....is it worth it??? hmmm...i would say probably so...but once the novelty wears off I might feel differently...by the way...does your car have an ashtray? i didnt want an ashtray in my car, hopefully i can get a "smokeless" kit..lol
Old 10-02-03, 09:55 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

Interesting. Do you hear the caller in stereo through all of the speakers? How good is the sound quality for the other party when you are talking through the built in microphone?

I do have an ashtray in my car. I was not aware there was any option on this. What else would they do with the space?
Old 10-02-03, 04:42 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

There is a replacement ashtray compartment. I wrote about it for another LS430 owner after replacing my own. See message here..

Does the navigation system display caller ID when incoming call comes over bluetooth? I'd also be intereested to know if the callers voice comes out of all speakers or just rear left, too. What happens on navigation screen when making outgoing call and while on phone?

Last edited by LS007; 10-02-03 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 05:57 PM
TestnDoc
Driver School Candidate

ex bimmer>>>The audio from the caller comes out of the drivers side front door speaker(I think)...you hear the phone ring through the audio system, and the ring is the same you ring have programmed in your handheld (cool)...the audio quality is decent...not sure about sound quality for those receiving my calls, havent asked...

videonavi>>>caller ID IS displayed on the nav screen for incoming calls..pretty cool....nav screen reverts to incoming call screen while call comes in, then switches back to nav...thanks for the ashtray info..i ordered the kit today!!!

The only negative is that u cant dial from your phone log on the nav screen when the car is moving, only when stopped ( thanks to the lawyers!!)
Old 10-02-03, 08:08 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

I have a friend who owns a 2003 LS430 who was given a code that could be entered when the navigation system first comes on to bypass the features that disables most of the navigation system while the car is in motion. I asked my dealer to get me the info and they refused, but I know the possibility exists. If anyone has a friend who works at a Lexus service department, maybe they could share the secret with us.
Old 10-03-03, 09:53 AM
Jennifer G

Default Phones for Bluetoogh

I currently have an LS430 on order. Does anyone have a list of the phones that work with the bluetooth feature? I have a Motorola with Nextel.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-03, 04:33 AM
L Boogie
Driver School Candidate

Silly question(s)....

Are there any aditional fees associated with the bluetooth feature?
And does it matter what phone company you use?
Old 10-04-03, 07:35 AM
MikeDC
Driver School Candidate

Another silly question. If you can't use the phone directory thru the nav while driving, can you make a call orally thru the nav?
Old 10-04-03, 10:58 AM
TestnDoc
Driver School Candidate

There are 3 or 4 phones that work with the lexus nav unit. I am using a Nokia 6310i, and AT&T wireless is my provider. There is an Erricson phone, and another phone that will work as well..(your dealer should know).
There are no additional fees for using a bluetooth phone, however, in order to use a bluetooth phone your cell phone service provider must be able to accomadate a bluetooth phone. This requires that the phone carrier use GMS frequencies, rather than CDMA or TDMA at this time. I have been told that bluetooth may work with CDMA or TDMA in the future, but not at this time. In my area, only AT&T wireless and Tmobile are GMS.
You can use your bluetooth phone through the nav system while driving, but alot of the functions are disabled, such as dialing from your phone log, etc.

All in all I think the bluetooth technology is really cool.