LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Where is the EGR value?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 05:04 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Where is the EGR value?

Hey guys, I don't have a shop manual and I'm no mechanic...

I was wondering where the EGR value is located in my 91? Can someone please circle it in photoshop or something. This may sound like a dumb question but is it possible to clean it? I read that residue can build up inside it. I just replaced my PCV value today, very easy, especially with the help of Lee's thread I found in a search. I couldn't find anything helpful on this topic though. I took this picture of my engine bay this afternoon. I am starting to clean it by the way .
Attached Thumbnails Where is the EGR value?-enginebay9-29-03.jpg  
Old 09-29-03, 05:53 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

An answer to this question would also really help me out to! What does the EGR valve do? Does it have to do with smog?
Old 09-29-03, 06:19 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the EGR valve/ or pipe?

I know the pipe is back here, had it replaced.. kinda big job
Old 09-29-03, 07:23 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jasoneo5
An answer to this question would also really help me out to! What does the EGR valve do? Does it have to do with smog?
Yes it is a smog equipment, it is actually called the Exhaust Gas Recirculating Valve. What it does I have no clue, probably something to keep the air clean
Old 09-29-03, 07:52 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Post some info I found on what it is...

EGR Valve

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve is used to send some of the exhaust gas back into the cylinders to reduce combustion temperature. Why would we want to do this?

Nitrous oxides (nasty pollutants) form when the combustion temperature gets above 2,500 degrees F. This happens, because at such temperatures, the nitrogen in the air mixes with the oxygen to create nitrous oxides. Did you ever have two friends that were fine by themselves but just awful when they got together? Well, our good friend, the sun, is just like that. When it's sunny, the nitrous oxides from the exhaust get together with the hydrocarbons in the air to form our not-so-good friend, smog. That's when the EGR valve comesin handy.

By recirculating some of the exhaust gas back through the intake manifold to the cylinders, we can lower the combustion temperature. Lowering the combustion temperature lowers the amount of nitrous oxide produced. Consequently, less of it comes out the tail pipe.

There are two types of EGR valves. One operates through the use of a vacuum, and the other operated through the use of pressure. Both types allow the exhaust gas in to lower the combustion temperature when it gets too high.
- http://www.partsamerica.com/Auto101exh.asp#EGRValve
So the EGR pipe is in the back. There must be a value too...somewhere. Anyone with a shop manual out there that could look this up please?

Thanks for all your responses so far guys
Old 09-29-03, 09:29 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

maybe you are talking about hte EGR modulator.. this I had replaced as well.. that is over here
Old 09-29-03, 09:40 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EGR! Oh Boy! You will know your EGR valve is bad when you hear an exhaust leak coming from the back of the engine just where the EGR is pointed out to you. If that's ever the case say goodbye to you car for at least a day or two depending on your mechanic. I was out for 3 days, felt stranded and helpless.
The exhaust system(from cat on back) has to be dropped and also the tranny just to get to that one little valve. Didn't believe it but yes its true.....Good Luck.
Old 09-29-03, 09:56 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

oz and myself are in the same boat...oz did his car b4 mine(but he REALLY needed to -sounded like a freight truck )but if your getting that replaced, i suggest you also change your starter... (same labor),and
is located in the same vicinity. my starter went bad, and i had my pipe changed as well.. the pipe is in the back of the engine(starter in front of it) and leads to the exhaust- you can see where it bolts in the back.
Old 09-29-03, 10:29 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

you can get away with EGR pipe labor without dropping the tranny.. the best way is to approach by removing the intake manifold and going from there.. and yes.. its good to change the starter there as well, you'll probably end up having to replace your fuel injector and all the other seals in the process but its worth it..

bettter than me, I paid labor for starter, then egr pipe went bad, probably because of the starter job
Old 09-30-03, 12:48 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had my EGR pipe replace TWICE!!! Both time were perform by Lexus dealer for $600+.
Old 09-30-03, 09:27 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

that sucks man, considering the pipe costs 150 + dollars for some piece of aluminum piping
Old 09-30-03, 11:53 AM
dunn378
Pole Position

correct me if im wrong but dont some people block the egr for a performance gain?? also to block the egr do you have to go threw the same labor as replacing the pipe??
Old 09-30-03, 01:50 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

blocking the egr pipe wouldnt let your car run... the pipe comes from the intake manifold to the exhaust manifolds which leads to the cat converters, so I dont see wheres teh performance gain..

if you are talking about the egr module/valve or whatever it is, i dont know bout that
Old 09-30-03, 06:52 PM
350z
Driver

Default $600+ X 2???

you'd think they would at least cut you a break the second time. Lexus dealers are way too $$$!
Old 09-30-03, 07:12 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Great discussion here, I'm learning a lot . I looked around in the back of the engine and found the aluminum EGR pipe....$600 to replace that, ouch!

I'm definitely not going to mess with this one, especially since it's not broken .

Quick Reply: Where is the EGR value?