LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-05, 12:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys are there two varities of L-sportline suspension for the LS? I'm getting mine installed late this week / early next week and want to head off any problems if I can.

I don't recall ordering the adjustible variety, are/where there two different options?

What I ordered from Steve was

L-sportline suspension kit,Bilsteins and springs-$189.00
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&page=2&pp=40

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-19-05 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-19-05, 01:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys are there two varities of L-sportline suspension for the LS? I'm getting mine installed late this week / early next week and want to head off any problems if I can.

I don't recall ordering the adjustible variety, are/where there two different options?

What I ordered from Steve was

L-sportline suspension kit,Bilsteins and springs-$189.00
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&page=2&pp=40
There is only ONE for the LS. The shock has 3 or 4 different perches for you to set it at to hold the springs, so in essence, they are adjustable, but not Coil-overs type of adjustable. You can only choose the height at the time of installation, after they are installed, you have to take them otu completely to change the setting again.
Old 05-19-05, 01:33 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Lexkost
Yes to both questions, I forgot what size I.D. hose but get a good quality hose .

Too bad your not in SoCal, I can remove rear struts and the springs in less than an hour !

Good Luck
I used to live in in La Jolla before I moved to Tampa, does that count for something

Thanks for the answers, I will surely buy the best hose I can find, let me know if your remember what size it was.
Old 05-19-05, 01:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
There is only ONE for the LS. The shock has 3 or 4 different perches for you to set it at to hold the springs, so in essence, they are adjustable, but not Coil-overs type of adjustable. You can only choose the height at the time of installation, after they are installed, you have to take them otu completely to change the setting again.
Do you think which perch it's set at impacts the rattling? Which setting did you guys do that had the problem (I assume the lowest setting but warrants asking.

edit - have you got some pics at the setting your at to help figure out how low I should go? I'll do some searches if you've already posted them.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-19-05 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-19-05, 02:39 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Dazz today to ask them about this. I figured I'd try the source first, and a guy named Mike has been helpful so far. We've been trying to rule out us (me and Grand LS4) getting a wrong set, but my outer box said it's for the 98-00 LS and the Eibach spring box inside said it is for the 98-00 as well. He's checking the stock number for the Bilstein's to make sure they are right, and I figure they are.

Guessing, he figured they sold maybe 50 sets or so of these for the LS and never had reports of rattles. Though, he's been helpful in trying to figure what the cause of this is. He said the boss guy had tested these on a 2000 LS and it did not rattle.

FYI, regarding the height adjustment, he said it shouldn't rattle at all, no matter what setting you chose.

I wonder if Lexkost is one to something about the top portion of the spring rattling against itself. Mike specifically asked if there were some rubber covering on the stock springs, because the top portion could be bunched up and need that rubber stuff. The stock ones don't have a bunch of springs compressed at the top. However, I was just outside looking at the Eibachs and they do appear very compressed at the top.

How hard would it be to removed these springs/shocks ourselves? I stopped by Napa today to ask if they had a spring compressor, and the lady said no. Auto value near me has one, but suggested not buying because they can be very dangerous, and instead suggested I take the springs/shocks to a shop to compress them for me. Is that compressor the main special tool we would need? I would much rather experiment myself then wait till next Thursday only to find out the hose or whatever I would didn't work.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-19-05, 07:40 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Do you think which perch it's set at impacts the rattling? Which setting did you guys do that had the problem (I assume the lowest setting but warrants asking.

edit - have you got some pics at the setting your at to help figure out how low I should go? I'll do some searches if you've already posted them.

Hey Dave, I left it at the Default setting, which I believe was in the middle. It was delivered to me that way. I got lots of drop, and in fear of it being very stiff, so I left it as default to see how I like it first. I’m guessing that the lower you set it, the more it will rattle since the spring will be compressed even more. In all cases though, the rattling is unbearable in any setting.

And sorry, I don’t have a pic of the setting, as I said, i just left it to what it was set to from the factory. I hope that I got all your questioned answered so you don’t have to deal with this. If you have anymore specific ones, feel free to PM/email, or just post here.

At first, I thought it was just MY car, so I didn’t post anything about it, glad Brian shared his experience as though.
Old 05-19-05, 07:55 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Brian S
I called Dazz today to ask them about this. I figured I'd try the source first, and a guy named Mike has been helpful so far. We've been trying to rule out us (me and Grand LS4) getting a wrong set, but my outer box said it's for the 98-00 LS and the Eibach spring box inside said it is for the 98-00 as well. He's checking the stock number for the Bilstein's to make sure they are right, and I figure they are.
I'm glad they were helpful to you, because when I called, the lady put me on hold, then told me to call the guy/dealer who sold it to me. Then I explained to her that exact guy was the one who asked me to call you guys because he didn’t know. So she basically told me there’s nothing they can do because they don’t have nay proof of purchase, I asked her if she wanted me to fax her my invoice, and she declined again.

Guessing, he figured they sold maybe 50 sets or so of these for the LS and never had reports of rattles. Though, he's been helpful in trying to figure what the cause of this is. He said the boss guy had tested these on a 2000 LS and it did not rattle.

FYI, regarding the height adjustment, he said it shouldn't rattle at all, no matter what setting you chose.
I really hope they help us out here, I paid a wholeeeee lot more then $189 for these, and a cool $230 to have them installed (along with out tie rods, and ball joints).

I wonder if Lexkost is one to something about the top portion of the spring rattling against itself. Mike specifically asked if there were some rubber covering on the stock springs, because the top portion could be bunched up and need that rubber stuff. The stock ones don't have a bunch of springs compressed at the top. However, I was just outside looking at the Eibachs and they do appear very compressed at the top.
Your exactly right. I also noticed the top two are highly compressed.

How hard would it be to removed these springs/shocks ourselves? I stopped by Napa today to ask if they had a spring compressor, and the lady said no. Auto value near me has one, but suggested not buying because they can be very dangerous, and instead suggested I take the springs/shocks to a shop to compress them for me. Is that compressor the main special tool we would need? I would much rather experiment myself then wait till next Thursday only to find out the hose or whatever I would didn't work.
Let me just say, that it isnt easy at alllllllll, especially that lower bolt that holds the shock. Plus you need a spring compressor to take them out as it seems Because the wheel wont extend out enough to clear the sway bar, so It seems that you need a compressor. My friend (he just swapped an engines and tranny into his ride) and I tried, but didn’t make it successfully with the tools we had.

It wouldn’t be as bad if it was just for the rattling, but I didn’t align the car yet after replacing all those suspension parts because I don’t want to align it twice. So now I cant really drive the car, nor can install my rear seats until I'm done with this drama. Brian, please keep us posted regarding your contact with Mike, I'll call and tell him my story/ proof of purchase if its needed. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-19-05, 10:20 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

All the parts parts appeared to be correct. Basically, our conclusion is that it may be loose at the strut cap area because it wasn't tightened properly, or that the springs are rattling against each other as Lexkost suggests. My next action is to simply try putting some host around the top, and also at the bottom right near the perch. We'll see what this does.

BTW, I got an informative reply from Todd at TM Engineering:
Most likely not the spring being too short, as you will probably never have
the suspension at full extension (unless you were laying in a ditch or
something!)

On noise, it usually comes from one of two things, the spring/seat areas or
the upper mount. As long as the upper mounts were assembled correctly, you
shouldn't have a problem.

One thing to check that most shops don't have any idea about is to see if
the stock bump stops were retained, and if so, it is a good idea to trim off
one step from them. This will give you a little more travel, which will go a
long way in giving a much improved ride.

I don't recall if those come with new bump stops, but I am 99% sure they
don't. Sometimes people put the stock ones PLUS the ones included, which can
really cause a problem, but I don't think this is the case here.

Also, the spring seat usually won't rattle either, as it has the weight of
the car on it, and same with the springs being loose, you won't see that
situation unless the shock is at full extension.

Of course without the car here, I can't diagnose it very well, but there are
different types of noises that usually can point you pretty quickly to what
the problem is.

Rattling is usually something with the upper mount.

Clicking is usually something more with the spring, but sometimes the upper
mount.

Squeaking is usually something to do with the spring/mount touching
somewhere.

Also be sure that you had good rubber insulators, if those are not in good
condition it may not pad the spring from the mount at the top.

We do have some material to wrap the spring on the first few coils to stop
squeaking at the seat, it also will stop clicking noises from the coils
hitting each other if some of them are close together.

Let me know if you have more detailed info and hopefully I can help you out
with this.

Thanks

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering
Old 05-20-05, 06:42 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I tightened up and double checked every bolt. Is he suggesting that we cut off one round off the spring?

I went out to home Depot yesterday, and bought a hose that can go around first two coils.
Old 05-20-05, 08:06 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I tightened up and double checked every bolt. Is he suggesting that we cut off one round off the spring?
Definately no. There's a rubber stop somewhere that is hit before the springs completely bottom out. Not sure where it is, so I emailed him to ask. I guess cutting that down would give you a little more travel on bumps, instead of hitting the bump stop and getting a hard thump.

FYI, my ride is pretty harsh on the second to lowest setting. I couldn't imagine wanting to go lower. How has your ride been, minus the rattling?

I went out to home Depot yesterday, and bought a hose that can go around first two coils.
I think you can apply this without removing the springs. Just try jacking up the car. I did and it seems there's more than enough room to slide hose onto the spring. I may try to do it today while the car's at the shop getting a rebalance.

Brian
Old 05-20-05, 10:29 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With these springs on the rears you do not need a spring compressor to remove because they are not as long as the stock but it takes two people to remove the top mount and install..................If you can jack up your car and remove the tire, if the spring is loose on the strut then your lower perch setting is to low..........the spring must be under pressure even then suspension is hanging and if not raise the perch snap-ring (loose spring give noise over large bumps)..................Upper coils hitting each other gives noise over small bumps.....
Old 05-20-05, 05:42 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Hey Grand, hows your ride with the default setting? I'm thinking of moving them back to default. It looks cool, but the ride is killing my bum. Every bump is jarring.

Hopefully I'll be able to try the hose for the rattling tomorrow. BTW, I got some clear vinyl hose from my local hardware store. We'll see what that does.

On another note, is it common for our cars to have steering wheel vibration after it's been lowered? That what a couple tire guys say. I've had my tires balanced twice now (though second time was different place with a 45MPH balancer -- too slow??). The virbration is a little better after the second balancing, but the odd thing is the vibration seems to come and go. It'll usually happen right around 62MPH. The steering wheel will shake a lot, then it seems to go away. Almost makes me wonder if it's the road imperfections being transmitted due to the stiff suspension. My GS400 never had this problem. It was sitting on Bilsteins and H&R springs, though not as lowered as my LS currently is.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-21-05, 08:47 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

The hose worked! I actually got some clear vinyl hose from my local hardware store instead of garden hose. I split it down the center with a razor blade, jacked up the car, the installed it over the first couple coils at the top and put a little on the bottom where it looks like the first turn of the coil has rubbed against the very bottom coil.

I drove on a pretty nasty bumpy road and no clunks! I may have a bent rim and it could be out of alignment, but at least the clunking is gone. After the drive, I did a quick inspection of one side and for the most part, the hose stayed on. A bit of the end of the hose sort of frayed off of the coil. But I suspect all of the compression and weight will eventually cause the hose to sort of mold permanently to the coil and the rest should stick. It would have been best to take apart the struts and thread the hose onto the coil (versus spliting the hose and wrapping it over). But I may stick with the suspension at this height afterall and don't want to pay $100+ for installation just for some hose to cover the springs. At least the noise is solved. And if the hose falls off, I can devise something more permanent.

Thanks for all the help. Another reason this forum is awesome (and I've been a member since 99). I still have the vibration issues, but stopping the clunking makes me very happy!

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by Brian S; 05-21-05 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-21-05, 08:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Good to hear Brian! Do you recall what size hose you ended up going with?
Old 05-22-05, 08:08 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Good to hear Brian! Do you recall what size hose you ended up going with?
The hose says 5/8" OD, 1/2" ID. I assume OD and ID means outside diameter and inside diameter. It fits about right, but it's a little crinkly in places (due to it being split and wrapped on). It was kind of hard to get in there and keep it on the coils. I covered the top coils all in one piece of hose. You might want to clean the coils first and spray some water on the coils and tube to help it go on.

Brian

Quick Reply: Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)