LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-04, 11:45 AM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring spacers

When I installed the set of used springs and shocks, I did not take the units apart. I simply swapped
my old units for the used ones I bought. The springs were not taken off of the shocks. A Lexus dealer
in town sent me a picture with the correct height measurements indicated on it. It shows the proper
places on the car frame to take the measurements from, and the car is just not "up" to the proper
height all around. I guess the springs just get weaker as they get older. I also have aftermarket wheels
on the car and they cause the tires to be a little further out of the wheel well then the stock wheels. This
gives the appearance that the car is riding a little closer to the tires than would be the case with stock
wheels. But, when I take the measurements, the car is still not as high as it should be. So, I am look-
ing for the least expensive way to get the car up about two inches. When I was told about the spacers,
I figured someone out there would know about them. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-12-04, 03:57 PM
1LS400Lexus1
Driver School Candidate

Default Are spacers avail for 98+ LS400?

I was thinking of getting a 98+ LS400 and having the lower springs but wanted to know if it does not look the way I want can I add spacers to get back to close to stock rideheight?
Old 09-15-04, 04:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

vinegroom-

You should not need any type of spacer if the suspension is in stock trim. The cause is probably coming from worn/compressed spring insulators. It may also be wear on other rubber suspension components compounding ride height. OEM type struts are reasonable and I'd pursue replacement of these components before having a spacer installed.

What size wheel and tire?

1LS400

Do not cut coils off the stock springs, buy a set of lowering springs and install those. A set of the Eibach Pro Kit and H&R have been seen as low as $50 + shipping on that auction site.
Old 09-23-04, 05:38 PM
1LS400Lexus1
Driver School Candidate

Default Bridgestone Potenze RE92 225/60/16

I am using Bridgestone Potenze RE 92 225/60/16. I like the wheels and tires, but was thinking of redo-ing the springs+struts, but if I went to much of a drop I wanted to go back to semi-stock look.
Old 09-24-04, 12:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The Eibach and H&R lowering springs are about a 1" to 1 1/2" drop. If you don't like them, remove the lowering springs and re-install the stock ones. Unless you are doing something drastic, the ride height and qualities will be fine.
Old 09-24-04, 02:28 PM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Default spacers to lift LS400

This is to Mike. I have 225/60/16 tires on BBS aftermarket 35 offset sport wheels. When I put on the
used shocks and springs, I did not seperate the springs from the shocks-I put them on as complete
units. I didn't even know that there was a rubber insulator at the top of the spring that could be com-
pressed. The car measures about 2 inches low at the four places where the A-frames( or Lexus' substitute for them) connect to the frame. They are supposed to be 10" in the rear and 10.5" in the
front. This is almost all a cosmetic thing with me. There is no problem at all except that I have seen
other cars that sit up higher, and I like that look. And my BBS wheels look really nice on a car that sits higher.
Old 09-25-04, 01:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

From the top of the tire to wheel well, typical gap is about 3" and in back about 2.5". Ground to frame measurments can change with tire pressure, wheel/tire size and any other items now adding weight to the car. So these are general guidelines.

After 11 years, rubber parts like motor mounts and spring insulators will compress/crush so replacing them is common. Many of us prefer a reduced tire to fender well gap and pay to get that. If you want that additional ground clearance or gap in the wheel wells you'll have to replace worn suspension parts to bring it back.

First replace the struts and spring insulators. Metalurgy is very good these days and spring sag is not as common as with older leaf springs. It does occur so you may also need new springs if the struts and insulators do not raise it up.
Old 09-25-04, 10:38 PM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Default car a little too low

I'll have to say that this whole thing about raising the car came about after I saw a beige car like mine
on eBay with very similiar wheels that just looked terrific. That car was a '92 with 15" wheels and it
also had air suspension. I saw the car personally and the suspension was still working. I have since
wondered if the car was in the raised position when the pictures were taken. I might consider changing
to a 215/55/16 tire when the time comes to see what that might look like. That car just looked great with
that additional clearance in the wheel wells. My aftermarket wheels bring the tires one inch further out
in the wheel wells, and that also adds to the lack of clearance. Nothing to there except replace them,
but they are a very dressy wheel for a beige car. Thanks for your expertise.
Old 04-05-05, 11:22 PM
junfei
Driver School Candidate

Default 1995 LS400 shocks with H&R OEM sport springs?

I am installing H&R OEM Sport springs on my LS400 and would like to know which shocks I should use in conjunction for the least amount of sacrifice in ride quality.... the options I have are OEM shocks, Bilstein, and KYB GR-2. Suprisingly, the OEM shocks seem to be the least expensive of the 3. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-06-05, 02:21 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

When I put the Eibach's in mine coupled with the Blisteins, ride comfort to me went from 10 (stock) to maybe a 9. I've driven many clients and most didn't realize the car was lowered until they took the time to look at it. With the 18's, there is an obvious drop in ride quality to stock feel.

As for using the stock OEM/Toyota...I wouldn't recco it. It is not valved/dampened to perform with sport springs, strut life may and likely will be much shorter. The KYB-GR2 are similar to OEM but a touch firmer. Obviously I'll recco the Bilstein's as I am pleased.

Lexkost has the same set-up.
Old 04-07-05, 02:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

If you are considering Bilstein, this package deal is a steal.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156891

Esentially you buy two struts and get two free along with some lowering springs!!!
Old 04-07-05, 04:21 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

that indeed is a killer deal, wish i knew about it a while ago when I got mine. Plus they are adjustable in height.
Old 04-09-05, 12:35 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
If you are considering Bilstein, this package deal is a steal.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156891

Esentially you buy two struts and get two free along with some lowering springs!!!
Thanks!

I wasn't planning on buying those now, but at $189, it would be stupid not to. I'm not getting rims now, so I'm curious, anyone know how a lowered 98 LS400 looks with the stock rims?

EDIT: Any idea if this is something I can do myself? If not, how much should I expect to pay to get it done? I assume these aren't one piece.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by Brian S; 04-09-05 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-09-05, 03:25 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S
Thanks!

I wasn't planning on buying those now, but at $189, it would be stupid not to. I'm not getting rims now, so I'm curious, anyone know how a lowered 98 LS400 looks with the stock rims?

EDIT: Any idea if this is something I can do myself? If not, how much should I expect to pay to get it done? I assume these aren't one piece.

Thanks,

Brian

It looks pretty good. Look a few pages back at Jenso's thread. It has pics of his 99 lowered.

Installation isn’t very easy, I was told by a reputable source that the rear seat has to come out for the rears to be installed. I got some scary quotes from the guys around here, but I’m going to have my friend work on it. At any rate, it wont be more then just installing springs. Im guessing 100-400 bucs depending on where you go.

Good luck.
Old 04-09-05, 10:07 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
It looks pretty good. Look a few pages back at Jenso's thread. It has pics of his 99 lowered.

Installation isn’t very easy, I was told by a reputable source that the rear seat has to come out for the rears to be installed. I got some scary quotes from the guys around here, but I’m going to have my friend work on it. At any rate, it wont be more then just installing springs. Im guessing 100-400 bucs depending on where you go.
Okay, this Jenso guy doesn't exist. I spent about an hour searching the forum for the post and couldn't find it and Jenso is not in the memberlist. Just curious what it looks like lowered with stock wheels.

Do I need to buy anything else, like mounts, or does this kit come with everything needed to install? Also, is the height adjustable once installed, or can it only be done before installing them?

Thanks,

Brian

Quick Reply: Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)