LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-09, 01:22 PM
VIP_Rob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it is a good setup but for 300-400 more dollars you could get a set of fully adjustable coilovers thats what i would do
Old 11-15-09, 03:07 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what set of coilovers would I be looking at then and where do I buy? Keep in mind I really can't do too drastic of the drop; my driveway is kinda steep right when I pull in.

I thought coilovers had a really stiff ride and that's not what I'm looking for, is that true or am I crazy? My LS is pretty much stock which is why I was thinking coilovers would be overkill. I have stock rims here guys!

I was really hoping to not spend over a grand on this project, I need to buy a set up RCA bushings and pop those in too so that'll be another $70 or so.

Thanks for the input so far
Old 11-15-09, 03:47 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

there are a few vendors here on the site that will sell u megan coils for around $820-$840 shipped. there are also a few ksport vendors here that will sell u some ksports for around the same price.

as for the stiffness of coilovers thats where the the fully adjustable part comes in. you can make them as stiff/soft/low you want.
Old 11-15-09, 04:12 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm starting to think the Megan's are really the way to go. The only thing I'm worried about would be the whole winter thing...I'm in MN, this is my daily driver..are these going to hold up to MN winters? I certainly don't want to be replacing these. Is this the part # I would need for my 1991: MR-CDK-LL91? I was seeing some vendors saying that's for 95-00. Sorry for the dumb questions but I haven't been able to keep up with everything recently since I have 2 jobs, house, family, baby on the way
Old 11-15-09, 04:17 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the megans were designed on the ucf10 and marketed for the ucf20. any ucf10 strut setup will fit on the ucf20.

im gonna be keeping my megans on for the winter since its a pain to put my kyb/h&r combo back in.
Old 11-15-09, 04:26 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

im also keepin my megans on for the winter caz i threw out my blown stock sus haha
Old 11-15-09, 05:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

keep in mind that you wont be able to get quite up to stock height, but should be able to be within 2" of it.
Old 11-15-09, 07:34 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have stock rims here guys!
Um guys,, you all are VERY QUICK to push the mod button, and I normally would be as well, but take the time to read what he is saying. Mr LS himself is just looking for a lil something to take up the stock wheel gap from the stock rims and still be comfy for the daily. Coilovers WOULD be the way to go if you were looking to more mods down the line, bigger wheels for the warmer months, achieve the "slammed" look, etc. With your Minnesota winters, and I am QUITE familiar with them driving 18 wheelers thru your state in the wintertime occasionally, the H&R's with a 1" drop will do you just fine. This will allow you to minimize the wheel gap from stock, still be comfortable as a daily, as still egress your driveway(depending on how steep) with no scraping. H&R/KYB is my current setup, but I am on 18's. I run my setup all year, am in MD, and have had no problems at all. When I had my stockies on with the H&R, no rubbing issues. I did have a little rub at highway speeds, but that was attributed to me running a tire which was already a little larger than stock, so the drop allowed it to rub at highway. Here is my car, on 18's with the setup you are asking about so you can get a pretty good look at the wheel gap you will have, as well as gauge your ground clearance. Keep in mind that I am on 18's so your ground clearance may be a little lower than mine on stockies; but not much.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)-004.jpg   Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)-010.jpg  
Old 11-16-09, 02:12 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input and great pics trukn1.

Well, I decided to go the H&R/KYB route. Yeah it would be cool to have coilovers but I think it's overkill for my situation. I think this will be a huge improvement as it is. I've got everything ordered now so hopefully it will all get to me by friday.
Old 11-16-09, 08:58 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLS
Thanks for the input and great pics trukn1.

Well, I decided to go the H&R/KYB route. Yeah it would be cool to have coilovers but I think it's overkill for my situation. I think this will be a huge improvement as it is. I've got everything ordered now so hopefully it will all get to me by friday.
My pleasure. Just glad I could give back to one of the members whose site has helped me so much with my own LS; and continues to do so. THANK YOU for helping all of us keep the OG beasts alive.
Old 11-23-09, 04:48 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I got the rears in a few days ago but I still have a bad rattle when going over even small bumps. I didn't replace the shock mounts, could those cause a rattle? When I push down on the corner of the car that rattles it makes a click type of sound. Any ideas?

My RCA bushing is really worn out but it really don't think that's the cause of the rattle sound.
Old 11-23-09, 06:09 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

double check to see if all the connections/bolts are snug and tight.
Old 11-23-09, 11:08 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm gonna have my wife drive it while I sit in the back and narrow in on where the sound is coming from.
Old 11-23-09, 02:30 PM
SixEye
Driver School Candidate

While you're at it, take some pics. I am leaning towards the more conservative route as well. :-)
Old 11-25-09, 04:31 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

I always take pics .

Well, I was able to take a look at it yesterday and the rattle is coming from the sway bar link that I mangled when trying to remove it. I've got parts on order and decided to get the shock mounts too just in case. Now the question is how do I remove the rusted sway bar links? I'm thinking a saw might be in order.

Quick Reply: Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)