LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

telescoping steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 11:47 AM
Browne24M
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question telescoping steering wheel

The steering wheel on my 1999 LS400 telescopes up when i remove the ignition key. However, when I insert the ignition key, the wheel comes down but does not move into my memory set position (I have to adjust the wheel down and towards me). What would be the cause of the steering wheel not returning to the memory set position? Also, when I pull the button on the column to get the wheel to move towards me, I ususally have to give the wheel a pull to get it to move ... and there is a squeeking sound in the column. Any idea what the problem could be?
Old 08-21-03, 01:26 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Welcome to the club.

Some questions first,
How long have you had the car?
How many miles do you have?
Do you regularly take you car to the Lexus Dealer for service?

I ask these because this is a warranty issue. now if you out of warranty then you could be in trouble, BUT if you regularly get you car maintained by the dealer they should cover this under there "Good Will" warranty. This is a very rare problem on our cars but it does happen. I think more times than not the dealer have fixed them at no charge.

Answer the first questions and then we will go from there.

Jerry
Old 08-21-03, 01:52 PM
Browne24M
Driver School Candidate

I bought the car a few weeks ago on ebay from a reputable internet dealer. Car only had one owner based on the title and other documentation I received. The car has 67K miles and appears to have been well maintained. I live in the St. Louis area and the car originally came from a San Antonio Lexus Dealer.
Old 08-21-03, 02:37 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Ok Great know all of that what I recommend is stop by you Local Lexus dealer to meat you service manager. I would go at a slow time. Usually during the day some time after lunch if not then late in the day say 6:30 or so. He may forward you to one of his service guys but at least you got to know him. Basically you want them to pull a service history on the car and see what's been done. Then book you first service. If the 60k service has not been done then this is the right time to schedule that for some time the following week. I would probably not mention the steering wheel problem at that point. See what service need to be done and see how willing they are to work with you.

One the day of the service when you bring it in ask them to check into the steering mechanism and that you don't think it working properly. Because you are now a paying customer they will wish to keep you happy and coming back. Honestly I would expect the service advisor to say "Well we will check it out but, since you out of warranty there may be some fees" Depending on the condition of the rest of the car, if its perfect you may be able to ask them to help you out since it "The only thing" wrong with the car. If they are a good dealer and wish to start a good reputation with you the may cover it.

Anyways so you leave the car and hours later they call and will either say were fixing it under warranty or they may give you a estimate. If they do give you an estimate then hey you already know the Service manager call him back and see what he tells you. If has good he will try again to cover it under warranty. Either way you have nothing to loose and you are getting you car serviced.

If you car needs the 60k service then it will be pricey but you are starting a good reputation with the dealer that will only benefit you in the long run. After you have the car for a while you can go thru with a fine tooth comb and have any little things fixed under their "Good Will warranty" if you a good regular service customer.

This is just my suggestion since you just bought you car. Honestly this has work out for me ten fold. My Dealer JM Lexus absolutely spoils me rotten. I can not say enough good things about them.

Good Luck
Jerry
Old 08-22-03, 08:28 AM
Browne24M
Driver School Candidate

Jerry-

I appreciate your input and your suggestions are good. One of my problems is that the nearest Lexus dealer for me is located almost an hour away. I will likely take your advice and see what happens.

I would like to know if anyone else out there has had a problem with their steering wheel, particularly with having difficulty in adjusting the wheel forward and back. And, if so, if they ever found out the cause and/or how much it cost to have it repaired.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-22-03, 09:43 AM
500amg
Driver

Our '95 LS400 does the same thing as yours, except that telescoping is not a problem. Whenever the key is inserted the wheel comes down only a little. You have to press the memory button numerous times to get the wheel into the proper memory position. The car has probably done this since 1997, I'm surprised if in fact it was a fixable issue, Lexus did not fix it for MY99.
Old 08-22-03, 11:57 PM
BobDana400
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I had my problem with the telescopic steering in April, my 1999 was two months out of warranty. I too asked the club what I should do. I was advised to call the corporate Lexus 800#. I spoke to a rep and told them my problem as well as my local dealer's response, which was, "sorry you're out of warranty." I went back to the dealership and told them who they could contact at the corporate office if they needed assistance regarding my problem. The dealership treated me well and they have given me excellent service since then. They replaced the telescopic motor for no charge. Lexus should do you right because they want you to be a customer for life.
Old 08-25-03, 06:47 AM
Browne24M
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input ... looks like the advice you and Jerry have given me is the way to go ... work with the local Lexus dealer. I need to have them do my 60K service so that's when I'll see what they'll do for me regarding the steering column.

A question for you since you also have a 1999 LS400 .... do you ever hear a thump in the right front wheel area when you're making a slow speed turn and hit a bump? When I make a left hand turn into my driveway, going about 5-10 MPH, and I hit the curb, I hear a loud thump in the right wheel area ... didn't know if that was common or not.
Old 08-25-03, 07:30 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

I never herd that in my LS but yes I had that in my RX. It was somthing to do with the struts. The bushings or somthing. Sorry I cant give you more details. Again this was somthing that was fixed on my RX OUT of warrenty.

Jerry
Old 08-25-03, 09:22 PM
BobDana400
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Fortunately I haven't heard any thumps (loud or soft) while going over a bump fast or slow or turning into a driveway. My 99 LS400 has been a dream. Good luck and let us know how it goes!