LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Adaptive ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-01, 04:08 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey Jbrady or Loule, i was thinking you guys might throw a little knowlegde about this. i was in the SC forum and hellasboy was talking about an adaptive ECU. if you have upgrades should you reset your ECU so the ECU can adapt to the upgrades and your driving styles? and so can the ECU be reset by just diconnecting the battery?
Old 03-27-01, 06:39 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will reset but it will just more than likely set back to it's normal setting in a few days.
Therefore, you will only feel the actual rush just for several days.
I did it to my car when I put in a TC and air intake.
Got good acceleration for several days then things just start not to pickup as fast after that (ECU have finished adjusting, it usually takes several days for the ECU to adjust).
It is still faster than stock but it doesn't have the kick as while the ECU was adjusting.
I want a ECU upgrade but for $1200, I don't think so!
Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-01, 08:04 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Lightbulb

The ECU monitors the mass air flow meter (MAF), the oxygen sensors (O2), the knock sensor, the idle speed, and a host of other sensors. If you drive agressively and your fuel octane is low the ECU will "learn" a less agressive timing curve than the base factory setting. If you change the intake to allow more air flow the O2 sensors will signal a leaner condition again followed by the ECU adjusting. There are other conditions but suffice to say that these are all deviations from the "BASE" factory programming. Disconnecting power from the ECU erases these changes and returns to the factory settings. This may produce more power. As Lou stated the ECU will relearn over a few days of driving.
Old 03-27-01, 09:29 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stupid computer!

Thanks again Loule and Jbrady.

Stupid ECU!