LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2nd Gen LS Strut Bar Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 03:57 PM
BrianV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen LS Strut Bar Installs (the lower strut bars)

These are the strut bars that connect the lower suspension to the front of the car/frame.

I was originally going to just give it to a mechanic to do, but now my g/f is working all weekend and I have nothing better to do then attempt this.

The side with the two bolts is trivial. Obviously take the two big nuts off and remove the piece. However, I haven't looked at what it takes to get the side with the bushing off of whatever it is on.

Any advice, tips, or general steps on this?

Thanks

Last edited by BrianV; 06-26-03 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-27-03, 10:21 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Default Strut bar install

I haven't odne it myself, but watched my mechanik do it for me. As you suspected, the back was pretty easy. He did have some trouble with the front left side. He had to remove some brackets in order to get to the nut with the bushing. After the install, the original problem remained! Apparantly he did something wrong (probably didn't tighten the front nut enough). After tightening the front nut, the problem dissappeared.
Make sure that you have all the necessary tools before starting. It would be much easier if you have an impact wrench (air or electric) - those nuts are a bithch to unscrew.
Good luck.

P.S.
Nice web site.
Old 06-27-03, 03:12 PM
BrianV
Driver

Default Re: Strut bar install

Originally posted by Rice
I haven't odne it myself, but watched my mechanik do it for me. As you suspected, the back was pretty easy. He did have some trouble with the front left side. He had to remove some brackets in order to get to the nut with the bushing. After the install, the original problem remained! Apparantly he did something wrong (probably didn't tighten the front nut enough). After tightening the front nut, the problem dissappeared.
Make sure that you have all the necessary tools before starting. It would be much easier if you have an impact wrench (air or electric) - those nuts are a bithch to unscrew.
Good luck.

P.S.
Nice web site.
Hmm I don't have power tools, just good manual tools. I'm also going to be doing this while lying on my back under the car (jack + jack stands). I was afraid they'd be on there really strong (by looking at the size of the bolts).

I think I may just pay the $60 or so and have a mechanic do it, more piece of mind, plus I get really pissed when I get frustrated over stuff like getting bolts off, etc.

Thanks for the advice, I think I convinced myself just to have a mechanic do it. I used to do all car work myself but I'd get so frustrated and angry that I promised myself I'd only do real trivial stuff from now on.