LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Muffler Delete mod and stock parts pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 05:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Some have run it like this though invariably it leads to other exhaust mods to get it out the back. I don't recollect any comments about exhaust in the cabin but obviously with carbon monoxide, it is a better move to do it complete.
Old 10-16-11, 05:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol corrosive? maybe if you're running leaded fuel. you don't usually see exhaust pipe rust out on cars in the southwest since there's no salt/rain so if the pipes are fine...
Old 10-17-11, 02:53 AM
RavenTai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corrosion in the cold part of the exhaust system
Internal corrosion
Context
In the cold part of the exhaust system, combustion gases such as SOx, NOx… combined with air
humidity provoke condensation of an aqueous acid solution on the internal side of the shell (mix
of sulfuric acid, nitric acid…). Consequently, this condensate could cause severe corrosion
damages,
mostly in the muffler where the evacuation of this acid solution is not facilitated. In
particular, the most critical zones are the confined areas between shell and baffles, where crevice
corrosion could develop and in extreme case, lead to perforation of the muffler.
http://www.arcelormittal.com/stainle...lsinki2008.pdf

Last edited by RavenTai; 10-17-11 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-17-11, 11:28 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The galvanized pipes on many stock systems are pretty durable. Have aftermarket exhaust done on those stock pipes and the re-welding ruins the coating in that area. That leads to it rusting over time. As well, various environmental factors can also have a say. Stainless is stain/corrosion resistant and even my days in the machine shop, these steels can rust under the circumstances that allow it, quiet easily at times. Once it starts, it will often grow larger and larger.

Some of the very old cars, getting the slip fit pipes off is a pain. Even mine, the rear mufflers are stuck pretty good. I got one side off but when the other didn't want to budge, I said "forget it".
Old 11-29-14, 09:32 PM
SocalBobby
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the two mufflers on my vehicle and it sounds great! I ended up cutting the pipes at the actual muffler which will require minimal piping to be welded on to exit just under the bumper like the stock pipes did with the mufflers attached.

The muffler delete gives a nice deep sound at idle and under load taking off at a dead stop. At highway speeds you can't hear the sound at all. Under WOT, the sound is pretty loud! I also did the air intake mod which now you can hear the deep sound of the air getting sucked into the engine!
Old 12-07-14, 02:56 PM
Kozy
Driver School Candidate

I removed the rear muffs and while there is more sound, it's not quite loud enough for me. I'm thinking about tinkering with resonator removal without having to buy new parts at all. What combination of mufflers and resonators will yield a sound with more volume than the muffler delete without being obnoxiously loud and/or sound like crap?

Last edited by Kozy; 12-07-14 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Re-worded my question in a simpler way
Old 12-08-14, 02:33 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Kozy
I removed the rear muffs and while there is more sound, it's not quite loud enough for me. I'm thinking about tinkering with resonator removal without having to buy new parts at all. What combination of mufflers and resonators will yield a sound with more volume than the muffler delete without being obnoxiously loud and/or sound like crap?
removing the resonators will yield more sound. it all depends on your tolerance and preference of the sound. altering the stock exhaust has its limits. remember sound at idle differs from sound at WOT and even at hwy cruising. removing the resonators will make all three much louder!

best combo in my opinion is 2.25" piping from cat back, through an x-pipe, then to two mufflers out back (no resonators). youtube some videos to hear different setups.
Old 12-08-14, 03:13 PM
Kozy
Driver School Candidate

I think I've watched almost literally every YouTube video of LS400 exhausts at this point....multiple times. My wife hates me.

I don't have the $$$ right now to spend on an x-pipe and all the other exhaust work that would go along with it. That's why I'm looking at some combination of resonator removal that is cheap but will get me more sound than I get currently.

What's louder......standard muffler delete? Or x-pipe coupled with stock rear mufflers?
Old 12-08-14, 03:46 PM
timmy0tool

i have not heard nor seen a resonator delete while keeping the stock mufflers yet. i would like to try this setup soon. keep in mind we have three resonsators, one in the middle and two after the y-pipe split. my resonator delete is for the two after the y-pipe alone. this should be louder than muffler delete alone, but not by much. reference the baffle outlines.

i think putting aftermarket mufflers on our rear bumpers look disproportionate unless it's tucked or if you have an aftermarket bumper that has a longer skirt and cutouts. that's just me of course.
Old 12-08-14, 03:55 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalBobby
I removed the two mufflers on my vehicle and it sounds great! I ended up cutting the pipes at the actual muffler which will require minimal piping to be welded on to exit just under the bumper like the stock pipes did with the mufflers attached.

The muffler delete gives a nice deep sound at idle and under load taking off at a dead stop. At highway speeds you can't hear the sound at all. Under WOT, the sound is pretty loud! I also did the air intake mod which now you can hear the deep sound of the air getting sucked into the engine!
do you find that at around 2000 rpm or so there is a bit of a drone that then disappears at slightly higher speeds? i too replaced my mufflers with pipes welded in place and i love it, having the pipes seems to make the exhaust louder than if the mufflers were simply removed without doing anything else
Old 12-08-14, 05:43 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stroock639
do you find that at around 2000 rpm or so there is a bit of a drone that then disappears at slightly higher speeds? i too replaced my mufflers with pipes welded in place and i love it, having the pipes seems to make the exhaust louder than if the mufflers were simply removed without doing anything else
Yup notice the drone too at around 1800-2000 rpm. I'm planning to add weight to the back pipe to see if it tame it.
Old 12-09-14, 07:23 AM
Kozy
Driver School Candidate

i too replaced my mufflers with pipes welded in place and i love it, having the pipes seems to make the exhaust louder than if the mufflers were simply removed without doing anything else
Really? I didn't cut my mufflers off, rather chose to unbolt them from the exhaust at the union near the rear axle. It's still a bit too quiet for me but this comment of yours makes me wonder if extending the exhaust pipes out to the rear bumper will make it louder.

I can't trust videos on YouTube, there are videos of some cars with the muffler delete that are insanely louder than others.
Old 12-09-14, 01:09 PM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by Kozy
I can't trust videos on YouTube, there are videos of some cars with the muffler delete that are insanely louder than others.
that's bc not all cameras and ambient environment are created equal. some videos the camera is placed so close to the exhaust the sound recording gets distorted.

i'm curious too about the sound getting louder as you add pipe to the deleted muffler section.
Old 12-09-14, 03:52 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i think more than anything extending the exhaust all the way to the back just helps the sound get out from beneath the car better. if there is a scientific explanation for this i'd be curious to know why (JBrady where you at?). extending the exhaust does however create a lower pitch (think of extending the slide on a trombone). i haven't taken any physics courses in awhile but the old equation f = v/ƛ comes to mind, where f is the frequency, v is the phase velocity, and ƛ is the wavelength. if v remains unchanged, increasing ƛ will lead to a lower frequency, which means a deeper pitch. i'm sure its not that simple but it seems like a good place to start... i get home from school later this week, give me a few days and i'll have that exhaust clip up, and it will be conclusive!
Old 12-09-14, 10:45 PM
Kozy
Driver School Candidate

give me a few days and i'll have that exhaust clip up, and it will be conclusive!
For the love of all that is holy, please don't put the microphone too close to the pipes when you record the video.

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete mod and stock parts pics