LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 LS400 planning tuneup, need help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 12:30 PM
njamal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1993 LS400 planning tuneup, need help?

1993 LS400 with 125,000 miles. After failing to get any detailed work from mechanics, I am thinking about doing a full tune up with OEM parts from Steve Carson Toyota:

Plugs - Are these easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed?
Wires - Are these easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed?
Distributor Rotor/Cap - Is this easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed.
PCV Valve - Is this easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed.

What all do I need to adjust/reset after installing these parts?

Any Comments/Help/Diagrams will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-23-03, 03:55 PM
Slexus
Driver School Candidate

1-Plugs - Are these easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed?

Not too difficult. Need spark Plug Socket and About 4" Extension. 10mm Socket, wrench to remove 2 Covers that cover Spark Plug. You also need to remove the big Air hose connecting between Air filter housing and ... I forgot the name...Sometime you need electrical tape to tape the Socket and Extension.
Buy Original Spark Plug for your Lexus...

2-Wires - Are these easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed?

Not too difficult too. All Number are labeled (Original Equipment) around $198.00 Including tax.

3-Distributor Rotor/Cap - Is this easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed.
Also, not too difficult too. You will see it when you remove the 2 spark plug cover plates (2 rotors, 2 caps one in each end). Mark the positions of the rotors (not sure this is need but it's safer).

4-PCV Valve - Is this easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed.

PVC Vale also easy to replace.

What all do I need to adjust/reset after installing these parts? I do not think there is any adjustment requires beside double check Spark Plug gap on my 94 LS400 it's .44

Any Comments/Help/Diagrams will be greatly appreciated

I do not have any diagram but here is some suggestion:
-WD40 to the hoses contacts for ease to remove.
-WD40 to all screws before and after removal.
-Buy Correct Spark Plug to prevent misfire and 2nd trip to work on.
-Remove one spark plug at a time (don't mix them) and take a deep look to see any unusual sign compare with others.
-Total job is less than 2 hours. Take your time and do it right!!!

Let's know your results.

Last edited by Slexus; 05-23-03 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 08:06 AM
njamal
Driver School Candidate

Slexus, Thanks. Good details. Will post results when available.
Old 05-25-03, 03:31 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Other things to consider...

Replacing the 2 engine mounts and the tranny mount for that extra smooth ride a fuel injection treatment,full throttle body cleaning and the classic tranny flush.It made a great difference in my 90 LS400 i bought 5 months ago even though it was well maintained by the original owner.
Old 05-25-03, 04:50 PM
Slexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Other things to consider...

Originally posted by Bradster
Replacing the 2 engine mounts and the tranny mount for that extra smooth ride a fuel injection treatment,full throttle body cleaning and the classic tranny flush.It made a great difference in my 90 LS400 i bought 5 months ago even though it was well maintained by the original owner.
All of the above are good except Fuel Injection Treatment. I open Air housing hose at 125K on my 94 LS400, at that time, I replaced spark plugs. It was very clean no deposit build up. I put 2 bottles of Chevron Fuel Injection cleaner on my fuel tank at 125K, at 127K, I have chance to take out the Air Hose again. OMG there is tan color like corrosion build up right at the throttle. Well, the only think I can think of is the Fuel Injector Cleanup might caused it, because why for 125K I did not have but at 127K. I can not think of any thing else because that was the only thing that I add to my fuel.

For my car I think I would never use it a gain. Except there is problem with my fuel injector then I might but for sure not Chevron brand.

Anyone used Chevron Fuel Injection Cleaner saw this symptoms????

Last edited by Slexus; 05-25-03 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 08:13 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sorry if i didn't make myself clear

I meant the 89.00 fuel injection treatment my local Lexus dealer performed.I'm not too clear on the details (anyone feel free to jump in) they spray at high pressure a caustic cleaning chemical (BG?) through the injectors that washes away most of the deposits that have built up over the years through thousands of gallons of gasoline.I've had it done to all my cars with fuel injection and i always notice the difference as soon as my foot hits the accelerator driving away from the shop.Highly recommended!
Old 05-27-03, 08:35 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1993 LS400 planning tuneup, need help?

Originally posted by njamal
1993 LS400 with 125,000 miles. After failing to get any detailed work from mechanics, I am thinking about doing a full tune up with OEM parts from Steve Carson Toyota:

Plugs - Are these easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed?
Wires - Are these easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed?
Distributor Rotor/Cap - Is this easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed.
PCV Valve - Is this easy to access and change? How long? Any special tool needed.

What all do I need to adjust/reset after installing these parts?

Any Comments/Help/Diagrams will be greatly appreciated.
Do a search on the SC400 section. I have written up the procedures on this topic a few years back. Becareful when taking out the passenger side cover. Its a little tricky and you might break it. On my green SC the the cover was broken by the last owner mechanic . When putting back the cap/rotor cover you may have to play around with putting the rubber seal/gasket back if it slip out. You may have to take the belt off to gain access to this cover but it not difficult at all.
Old 10-22-03, 07:25 AM
njamal
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Tune up done. Car drives smooth, not best yet.

OK. Got my OEM parts from Carson Toyota. Done with replacing:

Spark plugs (found oil on #5, #7) (That's probably what was causing stutter & hesitation, now gone).
Wires
Rotors
Caps
PCV Valve
Made an effort to clean Throttle body. I don't think I was 100% successful. But, did what I could.

Car is running better (not best like it used to, yet.). It has vibration. I can feel it in steering wheel, shift lever, etc. Will continue to troubleshoot. Not sure where it will lead me to.

Overall experience for doing it myself.

1. OEM parts. I think that saved me good amount of hassle on the Wires, spark plugs Gap, etc.

2. Rotors/Caps are a pain since you have to work with Coolant hose, Coolant leaks, clean up, etc. The 3rd screw that other people have mentioned. Yes, that is a pain to get to. But, I did it so others can do it too. All I am saying is that Rotors/Caps added extra 4-5 hours + coolant mess.

Thanks to everyone who responded and participated in this thread.

All the best to others who want to do similar change themselves.