LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 11:42 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so I forgot to register with sewell..... After signing up, the price went down to $144.81each. Thats a pretty decent discount but I still dont understand why a part like this is so much? It is the cheapest I've seen though
Old 08-26-13, 11:03 AM
j e f f
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am wondering if I have bad strut bar bushings.

My '97 LS has a slight clunking occasionally but my front tires are "feathering" on the outer 1.5 inch of tread.
Could bad strut bars cause this?

166,000 mikes on the car and tires have just 5000 on them.
Don't know if I didnt get a good alignment or I have bad strut bars OR BOTH!
Old 08-26-13, 11:24 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by j e f f
Well, I am wondering if I have bad strut bar bushings.

My '97 LS has a slight clunking occasionally but my front tires are "feathering" on the outer 1.5 inch of tread.
Could bad strut bars cause this?

166,000 mikes on the car and tires have just 5000 on them.
Don't know if I didnt get a good alignment or I have bad strut bars OR BOTH!
likely
Old 08-27-13, 06:21 AM
j e f f
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Cowboy, I am definitely hearing a light front end clunk over small bumps/rough surface parking lots at slow speed.
Mine is a 97 LS so that is a UCF20 model, correct?
Assuming that is correct, this would be the correct bushing I think... http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...867450051.html

Now, I don't understand car suspension geometry as much as I understand trucks so can someone esplain what the strut bar controls?
I've got approx. 5000 miles on the tires; mostly city driving in the last 5 months with maybe 1000 miles of that on highway.
So I'm guessing that it affects turning/city driving more than straight line driving...

I'm also looking at KYB Excel-Gs but from what I've read here I may need a new alignment AFTER new shocks go on(somewhere I read from Puredrifter)
Old 08-27-13, 08:00 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by j e f f
Thanks Cowboy, I am definitely hearing a light front end clunk over small bumps/rough surface parking lots at slow speed.
Mine is a 97 LS so that is a UCF20 model, correct?
Assuming that is correct, this would be the correct bushing I think... http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...867450051.html
No - the correct p/n is 48674-40051

your local machine shop will have to remove the old bushings and install the new ones, and you must provide the diagram to them to show them how it must be properly clocked (oriented in 360 degree plane) - search earlier in this thread for that diagram
Old 08-27-13, 02:35 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Cowboy, will I have to have a machine shop take off the bushings and install the new ones on my 93? I got the bushings from lexus over the weekend, and now just waiting on some time to work on it. My buddy at lexus said that he hasn't done them on an LS, but he thinks I should be able to get them off pretty easy, and the new ones just slide on?
Old 08-27-13, 03:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by usoff89
Cowboy, will I have to have a machine shop take off the bushings and install the new ones on my 93? I got the bushings from lexus over the weekend, and now just waiting on some time to work on it. My buddy at lexus said that he hasn't done them on an LS, but he thinks I should be able to get them off pretty easy, and the new ones just slide on?
no, 1st gen cars are totally different, and the strut rod bushings bolt in-out of the chassis.
Old 08-27-13, 04:35 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks PD! I noticed they bolted in, but wasn't really sure. Hopefully it will be a fairly quick job. Then all i have left is to do the tie rods and get it on the rack again.
Old 08-28-13, 11:48 AM
dc893
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by usoff89
Thanks PD! I noticed they bolted in, but wasn't really sure. Hopefully it will be a fairly quick job. Then all i have left is to do the tie rods and get it on the rack again.
Post up your results, please. I've gotta 92 and NEED to get mine done. I have the stupid clunk and its getting LOUD. Kinda strange it started right after my alignment at the dealer. Anybody know where else to get these parts? $156 seems expensive for this. Been searching for anything aftermarket to save a little $. I know everybody says stay away from aftermarket, but willing to take a chance if I can find something cheaper.

Last edited by dc893; 08-28-13 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-28-13, 02:31 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dc893
Post up your results, please. I've gotta 92 and NEED to get mine done. I have the stupid clunk and its getting LOUD. Kinda strange it started right after my alignment at the dealer. Anybody know where else to get these parts? $156 seems expensive for this. Been searching for anything aftermarket to save a little $. I know everybody says stay away from aftermarket, but willing to take a chance if I can find something cheaper.
don't know of an aftermarket solution, and yes these are expensive on 90-94 so I think I would make sure this is the worn part, as opposed to lower ball joint, lower control arm bushings and and upper control arms, all of which could also cause a "clunk" - also rack bushings need to be looked at.

best price I have seen on p/n 48674-50030 strut bar bushing is $148 at Lexus of South Atlanta
Old 08-28-13, 02:39 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
don't know of an aftermarket solution, and yes these are expensive on 90-94 so I think I would make sure this is the worn part, as opposed to lower ball joint, lower control arm bushings and and upper control arms, all of which could also cause a "clunk" - also rack bushings need to be looked at.

best price I have seen on p/n 48674-50030 strut bar bushing is $148 at Lexus of South Atlanta
As I posted in a previous post. Sewell is at $144.81 with the discount. I know its only a few dollars cheaper, but thats the cheapest I found online. I did however get mine threw a friend at lexus for $120 each before tax!
Old 09-04-13, 07:12 AM
j e f f
Driver School Candidate

Just got my new strut bars from Sewell with bushings already in place for my '97.
Great place to order from and $111 per side.

Any special instructions for the removal/install with bushings already in the bar?
(I probably missed some of this in 280 some posts in this thread...)
Old 09-04-13, 03:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

1-you can do this without removing the shock, just unbolt the lower bracket (not the top bolts) and lever the spindle down to give you clearance after you remove the lower shock bracket.
2-final torque on the bolt through the bushing needs to happen AFTER the car is resting on the ground, don't do it while the car's jacked up or you'll tear he bushing while driving.
Old 09-06-13, 07:41 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgive me guys (if this has been answered already). I've read about the first 12 pages of this thread and my eyes started burning so I just had to post. I searched and didn't find anything specific...

All of these front end clunking noises over bumps you guys are hearing....I'm getting them from my rear. WTF?

Currently I'm in the fudge it all mind state and have been putting together a suspension kit for all corners. Gonna spend the rest of this year stocking parts to come as close to replacing the entire suspension as my wallet and my body's need for food can stand, but was wondering what the heck is causing this noise anyway.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-06-13, 10:08 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Twista4004
Forgive me guys (if this has been answered already). I've read about the first 12 pages of this thread and my eyes started burning so I just had to post. I searched and didn't find anything specific...

All of these front end clunking noises over bumps you guys are hearing....I'm getting them from my rear. WTF?

Currently I'm in the fudge it all mind state and have been putting together a suspension kit for all corners. Gonna spend the rest of this year stocking parts to come as close to replacing the entire suspension as my wallet and my body's need for food can stand, but was wondering what the heck is causing this noise anyway.

Any thoughts?
carrier arm bushing and/or rear strut rod bushing.

Quick Reply: Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)