LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 09:47 PM
thomashill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Pure nailed it. It doesn't 100% have to be those bushings, and it can be a combination of items needing replacement. The strut bushings are just a good place to start, and often result in an immediate fix.

As for the immediacy of the fix. It is suspension. It isn't broken per se. It is just worn out. It would be like someone needing a hip replacement. He can keep going on in his condition without it, but it will just get worse .. and think of the pain your car is feeling

No, really, as Pure mentioned it is a cheap fix *relatively* to many other Lexus or general car repairs. Parts are very cheap, the labor is considerably more, as it general is.

I wouldn't walk right in and just say my strut bushings are bad, replace them.. Get the shop to take a look and diagnose your problem first. Then, as is the case many times, as you experienced, all is fine. (Suspension problems and in particular 'clunking noises' are a pain to pinpoint). What I mean by this, is take it to a suspension shop other than lexus.. Let them know of the problem, and that Lexus couldn't find anything wrong with it.

If you still can't get a confirmation,.. then you can start replacing parts in trial and error.. Starting with things like the Strut bushings.

These bushing DO need to be replaced.. as most of the bushings in your suspension.

Most any LS 400 with over 120-150k on it is in need of most any wear and tear suspension part being replaced. Just the nature of the beast.. (this goes double for a cars age).
1991 w/250000 mi dealer said front sway bar bushings, quoted $130 inc parts @.6hrs. Good luck
Old 03-26-10, 09:45 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Sway bar bushings are cheap and it takes 20 min to change them, easier than changing oil.
Old 04-10-10, 01:34 PM
no1gsxr
Driver

Does the front shock mounts have bearings in them. I get the same noise too. Changed the ball joints and outer tie rods, still got the noise. I'm thinking it might be the strut mount has bad bearings or maybe the wheel bearings. I don't know what it is but I want to fix it before I get an alignmetn put on my new tires.
Old 10-29-10, 04:40 PM
ck90211
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting ready for pre-winter maintenance, and want to get good ride back in my 95 LS. Questions.

1. If I am getting OEM front strut bars, will I also need to replace Strut Bar Cushions (#48674 on Sewell's illustration, )?

2. Saw some Front Lower Arm bushings on Ebay for $ 60+/side. Anyone with experience ?

3. Ebay also has engine/transmission mount kit for $ 150, obviously not OEM. Anyone with experience? Will OEM be smoother?

4. Any benefits to replace front sway bar bushings?

5. Is there an OEM part for rear spindle bushing (I replaced with ADUS earlier in year but hope to get factory softness back).

6. Any recommendations for front brake pads (that's effective for stopping and quite)? I had Raybestos (from Autozone I think) and they are noisy.

7. Is Lexuspartsnow reliable? Their parts seem cheaper than Sewell.

Thanks for any answers.
Old 10-29-10, 05:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

1. If you are buying the Toyota part: The cushion and bushing are integrated into the unit already.

2-3. Depending on the manufacturer, there may be some slight fitting differences. some may bolt right up, others may need some putzing. Buying from a Toyota parts dealer usually provides a better bolt up experience.

4. Only if the old ones are worn and torn. At this stage...I would.

6. The stock Toyota ceramic are very good IMO and low dust. I don't even think of another pad.

7. Have you tried Carson Toyota? Sewell is ok, my last few buys have been from Carson.
Old 10-29-10, 08:35 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

well I put poly bushings in my strut rods, even after PD said they would be noisy.
I really didnt understand that,(Ithought he meant squeeks) and put them in.
TOMORROW we are taking the polys out (3 weeks) and going oem so I will have a Lexus again. the polys have no give/flex, just like it was metal to metal, even the cracks in the pavement sound off... and those idiot bumps they use now days, are like hitting speed bumps..... any one want some polys????

UPDATE: now it rides like a LS again....
Attached Thumbnails Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)-polybushings.jpg   Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)-97strut_rods.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 10-30-10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-02-10, 09:55 AM
Photoman32
Driver School Candidate

Default Strut rod or strut Bar

Hello,
This will be my first post since I'm new in this forum. I have a problem with the with what I'm calling the strut Rod/ strut bar. Dealer wants a mint for bushing and installation. I found much cheaper aftermarket poly at mybushing.com. Car is a 1995 LS400. Questions are: has anybody use them Adus # 531. Oem number are: right 4866040021 and left 4867040011. price wise they are about $150.00 for both which make me really want to go the cheap route. Any thought on them and pointers on replacing them. Thanks. Greg
Old 12-02-10, 11:02 AM
bornpeace
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Search on this forum you will get you answer.
Old 12-02-10, 11:22 AM
Rey
Pole Position

Get the adus and press the old ones out. Some people complain about increased noise but I havent had any issues. Maybe I just havent noticed on mine.
Old 12-02-10, 12:55 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

95-2000 are the same. I put polys (my bushing) in one of my 99's, which ran noise free with the OEM bushings, and the noise started, because the polys DO NOT FLEX, the oem does, (softer ride) the no flex rides HARD, you feel everything the tire touches. 3 weeks later I took them back out and put OEM in, they are only about $10 more.NOW, I done the work myself, and have a press available. so no expense. you do not need the complete strut rod, unless you are having it all done for you. .
Old 12-02-10, 04:52 PM
Photoman32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rey
Get the adus and press the old ones out. Some people complain about increased noise but I havent had any issues. Maybe I just havent noticed on mine.
Thanks, Most of the Old Chevys I have nave been upgraded to polygrafite bushing in the front end. In my 94 SS Impala there are regular poly and they make noise that you hear with the windows down. Just now try to source cheap parts for the Lexus. The dealer trys to bend me over with no grease and I'm not going for that.
Old 08-28-12, 10:36 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Strut bar bushes went in today. What a difference!

Especially, since I really need to do the struts but I can't afford it at this time. I was getting the knocking sound over rough road and it was particularly bad when hitting the brakes on rough road. She feels so much better now even though the struts are pretty weak. It is amazing the difference those simple pieces of rubber can make. Mine only had 71 K on them to boot.
Attached Thumbnails Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)-img_0133.jpg   Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)-img_0134.jpg  

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-28-12 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 10:49 PM
TheBry
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shooot, I need to get some too
Old 08-29-12, 12:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

good stuff, replaced with OEM bushes (properly clocked and installed)? or poly? (eww poly...)
Old 08-29-12, 09:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
good stuff, replaced with OEM bushes (properly clocked and installed)? or poly? (eww poly...)
Yes, OEM bushes and properly installed. Believe it or not the dealer gave me the lowest price on labor. They may of screwed up in their estimate but they only charged me $142.00 in labor. This may be a Spanish thing but I have found that even the dealer is rather negotiable when it comes to parts and labor prices. They wanted $83 for each bushing and after I told them they were only $36 from Sewell I was able to get them down to $45 Not a great deal but when you factor in shipping to PR from Sewell it comes out to be about the same. The other big item parts I need I will just ship to my family in Atlanta and bring back home with me on an airplane. Even Pep Boys prices on the KYB's are in the $130 range. Frustrating how much of a rip off it is down here...

Quick Reply: Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)