LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Too late to modify? Trade in LS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 01:14 PM
Marx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Too late to modify? Trade in LS?

I need some honest opinions

I have a 92 LS, with 142k on the clock. With the exception of dome 16 in GS400 wheels, the car is stock. The problem is I have the tuning bug. I keep flip-flopping on the issue, but I'm not sure that I should invest any more money into turning my LS into something special. I have begun to consider other cars to maybe trade it in for that would be sportier, and hopefully easier to customize, Possibly an SC400, GS300, or another Acura Legend (<--should have never sold that car).

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-03, 02:30 PM
Lvangundy

Your dillema sounds right at home to me.

I have a 1990 LS with about 157,000 miles which I purchased in Oct. 2001 with 118,900 miles. I've had the mod bug pick at me here and there, but there isn't much available to spruce up the LS into something even comparible to newer Lexus i.e. GS or LS (in terms of speed.) I've spent hours frustrated thinking what to do with the car, sell or keep investing money into it to keep it maintained. Maintenance issues will always come up. It seems you need about 7-10K to restore the old LS's into a gem. So far I've spent about $5,500 total, some in maintenance and a little here and there in aftermarket stuff.

Overall there is more available for the other Lexus models to improve handling and engine power production. The LS is not a very sporty car, but there are SOME things you can do. The later year LS cars have more suspension parts available from Japan and besides parts they are MUCH faster. If you really wanted to go for the (l)extreme you could talk to Lextreme about his powerful twin-turbo he had fabricated for his 1991 LS400.

SC cars although similar in the engine, are very much different. They ride quite a bit harsher, but the ride is still pretty plush along with the comfort and interior design. If you drive one, you'll see that the SC is a bit faster than the LS. About 1 second faster in the 0-60 times, plus the better handling. I'd say there are newer cars which can give you much more, with the possibility of a warranty and the 'new car' feeling. Look at the new Lancer Evo, the STi, Mazdaspeed.

My advice is to test drive some old SC cars, acura's or whatever else you are thinking of replacing your LS with and see how you like them. Another thing, you could always get a more sporty car, and do a little bit to your LS for a cruiser but with a little more kick. (exhaust, shocks, etc.)

Last edited by Lvangundy; 04-28-03 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-28-03, 02:40 PM
tn52
Rookie

Default Tuning bug?

Here is my $.02:
If money is no objection then you can modify/perf. tune ANY car - there is no question about that. Since most of us are not as $$$ as mister B. Gates (I apologize to some of you here first), you will have to do serious researches and accept the practical logic: LS platform doesn't go along well with your tuning bug. To make it simple, you got a wrong car. To help narrowing down with your readings, I suggest that you need to think out loud:
1. Buget?
2. Import or domestic?
3. Availability and abundance of after maket tuning parts ( please forget about custom make components)
4. Ease of tuning?
5. And what is your final goal/s? what will make you happy?

Getting there happy with the minimum effort, hassle, and cash is preferable. Otherwise, you just get yourself into a sinking hole...Cheers.
Old 04-28-03, 02:51 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Well,

It has to do with money. I have connections where to get performance parts. How much do u want to spend? With your LS, I can help you with the following mods.

1. JDM 2JZGTE into the LS for $6,000 285 bhp
2. Supercharged for $5,500 7 psi around 275 rwhp
3. Custom Single Turbo for $6,000 7-8 psi around 310 rwhp.

Once again, if you are willing to spend, performance is possible. If you need more, modification on my motor can make around 500-550 rwhp. Money talk....... Remember, even if you have a supra, it still cost money to do mods.....
Old 04-28-03, 10:40 PM
bigbodyLS
Driver School Candidate

hello all,

i am also a newbie. i just got a hand me down lexus from my parents. its a 93 LS400 all stock. i don't think i am going to touch anything in the engine. i just plan on upgrading the body of this car just to make it stand out a bit. so what options do i have for the exterior? 1st off, where can i get clear bumper lens? approx how much do those cost? thanks fellas

MARX: good to see another 1st gen TL owner! i also have a 1st gen TL and know pretty much about the car so if you have any questions on your TL, let me know.
Old 04-29-03, 01:06 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

OK, you have an LS400. Not the most sporty package but still fairly nice potential with a V8 engine and rear drive. Some power/performance options:

Re-curved torque converter, $300 + labor.
optionally a PI TC, $900 + labor

the PI would be slightly better and quicker but the re-curved should drop 1/4 to 1/2 a second off your 0-60 times and improve quickness of downshifting and overall responsiveness of car.

Good high flow intake system with proper cold air box, $100-300, 5-10hp.

Properly engineered cat back exhaust system, $700-1000, 15-20hp.

True merge collector style long tube headers, apx $1000 when available, 25-30hp.
Old 04-29-03, 03:50 AM
theomms
Driver

i am at the same crossroad. my 1996 LS has high miles and i dont want to put too much money into it before it hits the shrarp downslope of resale value after 150,000 miles. i thought about it a lot and the solution seems simple: keep my LS a couple of more months and then sell it.

here is the big flaw in that plan. what other car would i want besides the LS!! i can only think of three:

Ls430
S-class benz
S-type jag(just drove one and was blown away, not too shabby)

to me, everything besides these cars would feel like a down grade compared to my current LS. so why would i sell a car that a already have to get a car that is not as nice. i have had many other sports cars and i do miss the exciting feel of speed and cornering, but honestly i gotta drive to work every day and it is much more satisfying to cruise along in my LS than any of the other cars that i have had. so blah blah blah blah....

here are some things that you could do:

1.sell your LS while it is still worth something and invest a little money now to get a better LS; newer year or less miles. you will end up spending that money on repairs anyway, this way you get an LS with less miles. that way you dont have to feel to as guilty about investing money in your car to look better or go faster.

2. keep your LS drive it to and from work enjoy it until it dies (maybe it will reach 1 million miles). in the mean time buy a toy car to tinker with on the weekends. there are plenty that are fun and affordable: datsun 510, honda crx, second gen RX7, civic hatchback, miata, and if you dont like imports get a 5.0 mustang. most of those cars are cheap enough now so that if it catches on fire you can laugh about it.

3. sell your LS. then if you want speed forget about a GS or an SC. Just go get like a 94 turbo supra. crazy fast and when you sit in it you will think "wow, this is pretty luxurious for a jet cockpit". there will be no room for kids or groceries, but hey even if you have to make two trips you can still get there in half the time.
Old 04-29-03, 11:56 AM
Marx
Rookie

Talking

Thank you all for your feedback.

For the record, I don't think of of my LS400 as the wrong car for me. I feel that as far as Japanese luxury sedans go, the first gen LS is the standard (Acura Legend was first, but not in the same class and the Q45 has always struggled to match the LS in appeal). Thanks to enthusiasm in Japan for the Celsior, It also has a lot more aftermarket support than other cars in its class.

I am concerned with the complexity of its systems, and with my LS the high mileage.

I think that I will keep the LS, and get something cheap and easy to tinker with in a few months.
Old 04-29-03, 12:15 PM
Marx
Rookie

Unhappy

Hey BigBodyLS RE: First Gen TL.

It was my wifes. Apparently car theives really like them to because it got stolen 4 weeks ago. Found it 2 weeks later. The body was fine but it was missing wheels and most of the interior . The Ins. company totaled it out. She driving a new Matrix. (I know, I know, a Matrix. But thats what she wanted and its important to keep the wife happy!)
Old 04-29-03, 02:38 PM
tn52
Rookie

Smile I agree...

Quote:
"I think that I will keep the LS, and get something cheap and easy to tinker with in a few months."

It looks like that you want to stay with imports? Personally, I did the same route...The old Acura Integra (4 cyl) or Nissan 300Z/Maxima (6 cyl) are perfect candidates for performance tinkering. Toyota Supras cost more... You can find perf. parts just about any corner of the streets. Expertise tuning is abundance. Just make sure that you look for a stick shift to start with - to me, it's a little bit of a joke to go racing with auto transmission...
Old 04-29-03, 08:58 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default Marx

Originally posted by Marx
Hey BigBodyLS RE: First Gen TL.

It was my wifes. Apparently car theives really like them to because it got stolen 4 weeks ago. Found it 2 weeks later. The body was fine but it was missing wheels and most of the interior . The Ins. company totaled it out. She driving a new Matrix. (I know, I know, a Matrix. But thats what she wanted and its important to keep the wife happy!)
Marx: Don't knock the Matrix. Take it out for a spin. See how it handles and how it drives. You may be pleasantly surprised at what Toyota packed into this little tinker-box It ain't an LS by a long shot, but a real fun-to-drive, multipurpose, high-revving, hatchback. As an LS owner, I must confess I do love the Trix tho'
Old 04-29-03, 10:14 PM
bigbodyLS
Driver School Candidate

how many horses does that thing push out? 1/4 time? aren't those 6 speed?? my neighbor said she might get one but she scared her insurance rate may increase b/c its a sports car...turns out its considered a SUV. i dont know if this is true or not..
Old 04-29-03, 10:59 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bigbodyLS
how many horses does that thing push out? 1/4 time? aren't those 6 speed?? my neighbor said she might get one but she scared her insurance rate may increase b/c its a sports car...turns out its considered a SUV. i dont know if this is true or not..
My apologies for going off-track here in responding to this question:

The Trix is actually a CUV "Crossover Utility Vehicle" and comes in 3 trim levels. The 6-speed version is the XRS up-trim level. This is mated to the Yamaha 2zz engine with 180hp and 130Ibft of torque. Trouble is it is a dog off the line, but a real live wire across all torque range, esp >6000rpm where it really comes alive. With 17" wheels, ABS, and disc brakes, the XRS can be had for a tad under $20K. The XR can be had for $17K, but it is FWD with the Corolla's 1zz 130hp engine. With the body moldings, it looks racy and hot, if you are into stuff like that !!!

Here is an initial road test of the production model

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...2_0203_matrix/

Their is also a comparo with the Subaru WRX and the Mazda P5 at http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/112_0205_wag/

Insurance on our fully loaded '03 XR model was $295 for 6-months (with FULL coverage, I mean everything covered) - 21st Century Ins, in So Cal.

Scores at least an 8 in the fun-to-drive category, if you don't mind a little engine noise (slightly tuned exhaust) due to loud growl of the engine. It has been a runaway success so far. Get your neighbor to go for a test drive, she will not be disappointed. I remain amazed at the amount of storage space in such a small bundle. My most loved gadget is the 115V power outlet on the dash. The kids can now watch DVD movies from my laptop plugged into the power socket. Neat !

Last edited by bluestar; 04-29-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 12:36 PM
Marx
Rookie

For the record.

My wife loves her Matrix (reason enough to let her buy one). And I do think its a great balance between looks and utility. I love the cargo space. But compared to her 3.2 TL, its noisy and underpowered. I forgot what its like to drive an econbox engine (130 hp). Our v8's and 6's spoil us.

My other gripe is that its nearly as much GM as Toyota. The interior is definatly GM. The glove box door doesn't fit flush, the coin tray door won't stay closed and the radio is a Delco unit.

But I have my LS, shes happy that she has her Trix. its all good!
Attached Thumbnails Too late to modify? Trade in LS?-stephs-easter-egg-03.jpg  
Old 05-01-03, 11:22 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, matrix lovers. Just wanted to jump in and tell you that it's cousin is the Pontiac Vibe. So if you can get a good deal on a vibe you'll be getting a matrix. (sorta, like a prism is a corolla)

Quick Reply: Too late to modify? Trade in LS?