LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Considering getting a used LS400 for next winter

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 08:09 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Considering getting a used LS400 for next winter

Yes, I realize this is a premature question as winter is far away, but I just think I should start thinking about this well ahead of time! Just humour me please.

I am considering getting an early nineties LS400 as my winter car. I recently installed the L-tuned side skirts and TTE front lip spoiler on my 99 GS400 and that effectively renders it a summer car or winter car when snow is less than 2 or 3 inches in depth.

I have heard great things about the LS400 (the early models). Apparently the engines are good for over 300K miles and they don't have any serious issues - other than some AC and power lock problems.

Please tell me about your car and any problems you have had. Also what color combination looks best on these cars of that vintage. I am leaning towards lighter colored cars rather than dark, as darker colored cars tend to look more dirty in the winter than lighter colored cars. Interior color choice? What do you think?

Any gotchas to watch out for? How is the stock suspension - too soft? DaveGS4 can probably answer this question better as he has a GS and knows what I am used to. Can the suspension/shocks be upgraded easily and does that significantly improve the stock handling? I have seen some great deals on cars with about 200K kilometers (just over 100K miles) for less than $10K (canadian) - approximately US$7K. That is a bit high for my budget, so will probably look for something cheaper.
Old 04-28-03, 09:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Just found this feedback on my question (that someelse already asked)

I have a 91 LS also. Mine has 215,000 + miles and still runs excellent. Some things to look for; check for power steering pump leak - usually from underneath, a/c compressor leak (it will look oily on the outside), and if it has air suspension check the struts for leaks and that all four side are at the same level.

Also, the 91 has R12 freon, not the R134a stuff you can buy over the counter.
Any other thing to watch out for?
Old 04-28-03, 10:16 AM
Gabeshell
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also check the valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, cam seal and, if the power steering pump is leaking, check the alternator. If the fluid leaks into the alternator it usually ruins them. I've just picked some of these items up from reading previous posts.
Old 04-28-03, 02:02 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Thanks Gabeshell!

Second question - will the stock OEM 17 inch rims that I have on my 99 GS400 fit a 90 - 92 LS?
Old 04-28-03, 02:21 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

To summarize (problems to look out for on a 90-93 LS400):
  • check for power steering pump leak - usually from underneath
  • a/c compressor leak (it will look oily on the outside)
  • if it has air suspension check the struts for leaks and that all four side are at the same level
  • check the valve cover gaskets,
  • Also, the 91 has R12 freon, not the R134a stuff you can buy over the counter
  • check rear main seal
  • check cam seal ,
  • if the power steering pump is leaking, check the alternator. If the fluid leaks into the alternator it usually ruins them

Second question:
Will the stock OEM 17 inch rims that I have on my 99 GS400 fit a 90 - 92 LS?
Old 04-28-03, 07:01 PM
jeffl
Driver School Candidate

Default Winter Car?

If you live in an area that has snow, make sure your LS has traction control. I don't have it and when I am driving in snow I have to keep checking to see if I'm in nuetral. Yes, it's that bad. I've had three different types of all-season tires on my LS and there doesn't seem to be much difference.
Old 04-28-03, 07:35 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My previous Lexus was a 93 LS400 and traded it around 95,000 miles. I didn't have any problem with this car except regular maintenance services done at the Lexus dealership. I have four-season tires but never drive on a snowy day. I had traction control in this car but noticed that the four-season tires still had grip problems with the icy surface in the parking lot. I have FWD for foul weather so I don't drive my Lexus during the bad weather. A set of snow tires probably would help a lot with the RWD during the winter.
Old 04-29-03, 07:08 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Updated list of problems with older LS series:
  • check for power steering pump leak - usually from underneath, if the power steering pump is leaking, check the alternator. If the fluid leaks into the alternator it usually ruins them. Also check the radiator, Timing Belt, Water pump They all should be new or replaced by now. Why? Those repair will run about $2,000.
  • Also have someone look at the suspension. When I bought my 92 LS, one of my front upper A-arms was ver badly worn. Check this when the car is on a lift. You should not be able to shake or jiggle any of the wheels.
  • Dont get the LS with Air Suspension. Why? Each shock is about $1,000 to replace. That is about $4,000. If it has air suspension check the struts for leaks and that all four side are at the same level
  • Do a complete compression test on the engine. The compression or leak down test runs about $85 and its worth every penny. Why? This will tell the integrity of the pistons, rings, gasket and valves.
  • Dont get 90-92 model year. Why? New model have better brake system and larger tires.
  • a/c compressor leak (it will look oily on the outside)
  • check the valve cover gaskets,
  • Also, the 91 has R12 freon, not the R134a stuff you can buy over the counter
  • check rear main seal

And yes, it sounds strange that I want to use this car in the winter, but with good snow tires, I would rather drive a RWD car than a FWD car. I will not start a debate here regarding the merits of RWD over FWD in winter. The only time a FWD car helps in snow is on initial start from a stop. After that, it's benefit is insignificant. Overall a RWD car is better in snow. I drove my 99 GS400 this winter and compared to my second car - 97 Maxima, I would rather take my GS than the Maxima. The GS just feels more secure and stable on snow while moving. On start up from a stop, it was a bit of a challenge in deep snow, other than that it handled waaaay better than the FWD Maxima. Both cars were riding on all-season tires, not even snow tires.

Moderators, can you make this a sticky? I think it is very valuable information for anyone considering buying an older LS...........

Last edited by Hameed; 04-29-03 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-29-03, 08:30 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been said before but:

Check the power steering pump if it hasn't been replaced it will need to be. They usuall go out by 100K. Reason, to close the the engine and they get to hot.

Check LCD/Temp display. They all go out, you can get this fixed for $300.

Check dash needles (RMP, Gas Gauge, Speed Om, most will go out and stop functioning. Very expensive to replace. You will see here on first gen. lex that when the car is cold they will not work until the car heats up and then they will kick on. They will do this for a while and then completly stop working. Then the lights will start to go in the dash.

Upper control arm bushing. Usuallly all were out in 1st gen lex.

And go with a 93-94 or better yet a 95 2nd gen. A few nice upgrades in the 93.

For the color light is best like you said. My fav is the Diamond Perl White with Tan interior. You hardly have to wash it since the white never looks dirty.
Old 04-29-03, 02:39 PM
ffitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

Default Considering LS 400

I had a 93 LS 400 with 100,000 miles and think you need winter tires for winter driving. Another caution is the seat springs. As these cars age the seat springs loose tension. You seem to sink down in the seat. Sounds funny but my wife had trouble getting the seat high enough to see out.
Old 04-29-03, 03:48 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hameed, Chetori?

I purchased my '91 LS400 4 months ago in Florida with 72000 miles on it. Although 4 months is not long enough to allow me to tell you about the reliability, I'd have to say that this is the best car, I or my family has ever owned. It's hard to believe it's a '91, as the styling is timeless (one of my friends thought it was a '97; and to my enormous surprise the other thought it was a 2002, yes 2002!!). One thing to keep in mind is that you'd want it to be a 1 owner (prefably), and I can tell you first hand that it's a huge difference as I can feel it. 1st owners tend to maintain their cars much better than 2nd 3rd etc (if you paid ~$40k for a car, you'd better take care of it). As for color combination, I think it's purely subjective and personal. Mine is a Cobalt Blue Metalli (navy blue) and the interior is also blue, which is in a way unique and I love it (mostly with blue exterior you'd find gray interior). But again, it's entirely up to your taste, you may like white, black, blue, red, orange, purple, pink, lol, get whatever you like....
1st gen lexus are nice, solid cars. good luck
Old 04-30-03, 09:58 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

I am relatively new to the LS but love my '94 so far. I'm the third owner. 70k miles when I bought it a year ago, now 88k.

Yes, with air suspension and see my post on replacing a rear air strut in LS Suspension forum, if you are mechanically inclined. About $400/ea for a rear one, fronts are higher. I wouldn't be scared off due to A/S, if the car is really nice; you possibly can negotiate a much lower price if you bargain, this feature has a bad rep in some people's minds and repairs could be needed. The ride is very good. You can lower the car for free. (or if you have bad air struts, it will self lower! )

Passenger seat belt retractor motor was out, I replaced it w/ a new part for about $180.

Last edited by gottahaveit2; 04-30-03 at 10:01 AM.