LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

MY turn for a new toy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 02:31 AM
Lvangundy

Default MY turn for a new toy!

In some sort of partnership between Signal Auto and Tanabe they were searching for test cars for springs. So I volunteered!

Tanabe had already tested the UCF10 Celsior car in Japan and needed a test car from the US. I was fortunate enough to run into this opportunity. They are 2" drop (from stock height) which turned out to be about 1 1/2" drop. I think the model is "DF" - they are purple springs.

So - how are they? The car is alot more stiff and a noticeable amount of 'luxury' in the ride is gone. My back shocks are the stock ones and have never been replaced, therefore the rear is a lot more bouncy than the front.

Body roll is reduced, but making a u-turn still requires some body effort to not start rolling out of your seat. I raced a civic on the way home and I hit some bumps going about 110mph. The car became pretty bouncy - enough to make me hit the brakes and slow down pretty quick. The stock springs did NOT do this.

The same day I had my front sway bar bushings replaced, but my old ones were hardly worn. Good for a 13 year old car. I didn't notice any difference with these. The car looks much more agressive from the side - pics to come later. My Supra STB is still being processed and might be a couple weeks before it's done. Time for new rear shocks!

Last edited by Lvangundy; 04-19-03 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-19-03, 03:10 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: MY turn for a new toy!

Originally posted by Lvangundy
The car looks much more agressive from the side - pics to come later.
ok, its later. so heres the pics.

I think it looks good..quite low, but the car handles more like it should (actually, more like a new toyota). who'da thunk purple springs would make such a difference? *nice*
Attached Thumbnails MY turn for a new toy!-lee_tanabe2.jpg  

Last edited by meZoom!; 04-19-03 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-19-03, 03:12 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Attached Thumbnails MY turn for a new toy!-lee_tanabe1.jpg  
Old 04-19-03, 09:59 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Lookin' good! I think the 2" drop comes after the springs settle a bit.
Old 04-19-03, 01:47 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Cool, you will also notice that the car looks so much bigger and longer when lowered.
Old 04-20-03, 11:22 PM
Sanjman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

that color is a nice color too!!.... damn... she be lookin fine lol
Old 04-21-03, 12:03 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks much better. You should replace the shocks, I just dont like the feeling of bouncing up and down at high speeds. You should ask Tanabe to develop a exhaust system as well.
Old 04-21-03, 05:00 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Tell them to develop some sway bars while you're at it please...thanx.
Old 04-21-03, 11:57 AM
Lvangundy

Ok - so been a couple days..

The big thing is that the popping noise is gone for the most part. I think my issue with the crack noise when going over dips could have been a different problem than what some other people were experiencing. After the springs were put in, (correctly or at least better than the last yahoo who touched my suspension) I could hit dips pretty hard and no crack noise! The only time it comes back is if I have the steering wheel turned pretty hard in a direction going down an offramp and i hit a little dip or bump. Then the 'crack' sound can be heard again.

Rear struts are pretty bad, after the guy pulled them out and pushed them down it took quite a while for them to come back up. Due to the wear the rear is really bouncy. Like cadillac bouncy, not like a tight suspension on a civic you see bouncing on the freeway. One thing that has me confused is the marketing on the springs rates the DF (lowest drop) with a 15% spring rate, and the 'GF' springs (1" drop) offer a 30% spring rate..which is better?

Driving a lowered car is a bit different. MeZoom's comment about it feeling like a new toyota I have to disagree with. After riding in a new solara, which has a smoother, softer ride and could probably outhandle my LS I wonder what isn't right about my car. Body roll and sway is still extremely obvious. Strut bar and sway bars eventually may come. My input is that lowering your car does not make your car handle ina much improved way. Other suspension parts are more important. I feel I could write a bunch more on the subject, but I gotta run..

BR1AN - sway bars and bushings are coming soon..won't say when or from who though.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 04-21-03 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-21-03, 02:13 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Originally posted by Lvangundy
[
BR1AN - sway bars and bushings are coming soon..won't say when or from who though.
[/B]
Oh what??? You can't do that to me Lee! That's just WRONG man!
Old 04-21-03, 10:04 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

hey lee r u talking about control arm bushings????????
Old 04-23-03, 11:47 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Alot of things I see here is that people are comparing thier LS400/430's to a car that is not even comparable. To compare a luxury sedan to an economy car is like comparing apples to oranges, they are just different and you will get different results. If you want to compare cars, you can compare the LS400 to the BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class but not a Civic or Solara.

Back to your car though, love the way it drops the car...keep it up.
Old 04-24-03, 12:17 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Pagong
Alot of things I see here is that people are comparing thier LS400/430's to a car that is not even comparable. To compare a luxury sedan to an economy car is like comparing apples to oranges, they are just different and you will get different results. If you want to compare cars, you can compare the LS400 to the BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class but not a Civic or Solara.

no offense, but I think the LS400 can be compared to other toyotas...maybe more so than a BMW7. I believe Lvangundy was using the civic and solara as common examples depicting ride quality, and not exactly a comparison. Perhaps when he gets to drive around in a Bimmer 7 series, he can give us the comparison on that. And quite a few luxury sedans and "economy cars" do share the same platform.
Old 04-25-03, 12:17 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by meZoom!
no offense, .
Non taken

Just an observation that I have. I still think that comparing a ride from a lowered (insert favorite car here) to a lowered LS400 will not give you accurate results. Even if some luxury cars share the same platform with the economy cars, the weight difference will have an effect on ride quality and ride height.

So, if say you have a (lets use a Civic for ****s and giggles) Civic and use the suspension components from an Integra you dont expect the Civic to ride like an Integra just because you used its suspension right? With the Integras added weight, they have to use a stiffer spring rate on their cars to compensate for the weight, so by using this same spring/shock combo on a Civic, this Civic will now have a much more "bouncier" ride because of the higher rate of the spring.

So with that poor example done, lets get back to the LS400. To compare a lowered Solara to a lowered LS400 will be pointless because the Solara doesnt carry the same weight as the LS400. But if you put the suspension components from an LS400 to the Solara (dont know if that can be done) the Solara will have a much bouncier ride because of the higher spring rate the other car has.
Old 04-25-03, 07:52 AM
Lvangundy

In what I said about the Solara, I was referring to the smoothness and comfort of the ride.

There was still body roll is the solara I drove in, but the ride was suberb in comfort. Bumps were not harsh at all, and there were no noises coming from the suspension. The solara drove nicer than my LS400 even when I first got it with no mods at 118K miles. The higher sidewall tires and basically all new suspension components on the solara makes my LS feel like a civic (hah)

I think this is related to the soft springs that toyota uses, along with fresh bushings. Mine have never been replaced and it only looks like a performance option will available for replacement in the future. If you want stock rubber bushings you have to buy an entire new control arm from lexus. They don't sell the bushings separately to my knowledge.

About comparing the luxury class cars I can say I've never driven an S or 7 series. If we're comparing year to year I'd take a guess and say that those two cars would handle slightly better. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the idea that german cars have a tighter suspension and are more of 'drivers' cars - at least for that time. Lexus wanted to create a soft ride I belive.

Bottom line, I don't think there's a way to get GREAT handling out of the LS without sacrificing ride quality. That sucks to know since a new LS430, S-class or 7 series could probably all out handle the old LS's.

Quick Reply: MY turn for a new toy!