LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 05:06 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Mounts

Anyone here every replace their motor mounts? The dealership wants $500 to replace them on my 93 LS but my brother says we can do it. I asked about a transmission jack and he said all we need is the tire jack and a small piece of plywood. Jack the motor up to take the presure off the mounts and then unbolt the mounts and put in the new ones? Is it easy or should I just pay the dealership to do it?

The dealer said their are 3 mounts two on the motor and 1 for transmission and he said only the motor mounts were bad and that the trans mount was ok.

Last edited by spxChrome; 04-08-03 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-08-03, 07:13 PM
Lvangundy

The dealer I asked always suggested replacing all three. Probably to save on labor and just to get eveything done while you're in there.

I have two of the mounts for the engine - paid $60 on e-bay. Still need the transmission one. Local shop wants $200 to install as he says you need to drop the oil pan.

Debating whether to drop another $300 in my old car..

Last edited by Lvangundy; 04-08-03 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-08-03, 10:02 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had new motor mounts and tranny mount installed on a 90 LS400 with 232K miles.Very big difference right off the bat as when the car idles there is virtually no vibration through the steering wheel,you can't even tell the engine is running! Smooth as a baby's bottom! The motor mounts were 90.00 each and the tranny mount was 50.00 (Carson Toyota) labor is listed at 1 hour per side and 6/10 of a hour for the tranny mount.My local shop charged me 65.00 total (they treat me well) even though the mounts weren't "bad" all those years and mileage along with the heat and vibration have to degrade these parts.It's worthwhile to change when your vehicle gets up there in age-even though the old ones may be functioning. PS i don't believe they had to drop the oil pan.
Old 04-16-03, 11:40 AM
azari
Intermediate

so from what I understand, engine/tranny mounts' function is to reduce vibration in a car, right? Now, which one causes more vibration if either one is bad? In other words, a malfunctioning tranny mount causes more vibration or a malfunctioning engine mount?
thanks
Old 04-16-03, 02:46 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by azari
so from what I understand, engine/tranny mounts' function is to reduce vibration in a car, right? Now, which one causes more vibration if either one is bad? In other words, a malfunctioning tranny mount causes more vibration or a malfunctioning engine mount?
thanks
From my experience I believe the tranny mount would give more vibration. At first I thought I needed new engine mounts plus tune-up. One mechanic told me I needed a full tune-up, throttle body, etc another one told me that all I need to do is change to tranny mount, of course he put the car on the lift and checked it out. Turns out true, that one little mount changed every thing the car felt brand new again, no vibrations.
I paid $34 bucks + shipping for the mount @ J. Marks Toyota in Texas 713-943-9900 ask for Jeff
Old 04-16-03, 03:29 PM
azari
Intermediate

approximately how much am I going to be looking at for a tranny mount (labor and everything included)? Same question for an engine mount.... in my '91, when I'm at a stop say behind a red light at idle, I do feel a bit of vibration expecially when I put my hands on the steering wheel... might be it, no?
Old 04-16-03, 06:14 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Lexozz-34.00 is almost 50% off the retail price! Can that be the standard discount from J. Marks Toyota? That would be way cool

Azzari-book time to change motor mounts are 1 hour each side and 6/10 hour for the tranny mount-most shops charge from 55.00-85.00 per hour for labor.I personally would replace all 3 at the same time and be done with it.
Old 04-16-03, 10:25 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

my lex dealer wants $480 for both motor mounts. no trans mount since they said it was ok
Old 04-17-03, 05:25 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Time to find another dealer Spxchrome..The mounts retail for approx 112.00 each,a total of 224.00 for both-deducting that amount from 480.00 leaves 256.00 which is what they are charging you for labor.The book says 2 hrs to install the pair.That works out to 128.00/hr.literally highway robbery.Buy the parts youself saving about 45.00 and shop around for installation-try a local Toyota dealer,i find they're less greedy than the Lexus dealers
Old 04-17-03, 08:01 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Can any mechanic install them? No tricks or special instructs? That is what I was wondering. My brother is a cert honda tech and he can help me install them if there isn't any tricks involved?
Old 04-17-03, 11:57 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

I don't believe there are any tricks involved in installation-alldata.com rates the job a "B" moderate mechanical skills needed.You might want to register you Lexus with them for 25.00/year lots of info including exploded diagrams,installation instructions,service bulletins,labor rates,OEM part #'s and prices.I found it well worth the money.Good Luck!
Old 04-17-03, 03:32 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bradster
Lexozz-34.00 is almost 50% off the retail price! Can that be the standard discount from J. Marks Toyota? That would be way cool [QUOTE]

I believe so. I priced the engine mounts from them and they told me $96.38 each. Check them out just to make sure!
Old 04-17-03, 08:35 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Default Ah the fog lifts...

I paid 90.00 for each mount which i believe is 20% off retail-your guy wants 96.00 a fair price but not as good as mine (Carson Toyota) people should realize they shouldn't be suckered in to paying full retail price on anything these days
Old 08-05-04, 10:41 AM
NC211
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 95 LS has a growing vibration when accelerating, say up a hill at around 45 mph normal driving. Anyone think this would be the mounts? It's fine at normal speed or on a flat surface, it's just when the engine has to pull up a hill while maintaining speed. Tranny or motor mount issues? Or both?
Old 08-09-04, 04:28 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lvangundy
Still need the transmission one. Local shop wants $200 to install as he says you need to drop the oil pan.
I dropped my transmission a few months back and I could definitely say that removing the oil pan was NOT required to change the transmission mount. It should not take more than 10 minutes for the shop to change the mount. Perhaps you need to shop for a different mechanic?

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts