LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is air suspension standard

Old 04-01-03, 07:27 PM
LexBubble
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is air suspension standard

Hello, I am not too familiar with the LS400 but have seen alot of threads concerning air suspension on the LS400. I am looking at a 99 LS400 but need to know what I should look for. Does air suspension come standard on all LS400 or is it an option? All info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-03, 07:44 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least with the first generation LS400s it was an option. From what I can tell it was an expensive option so those are kind of hard to find, but I have seen them. I think it is also an option on the newer models as well, but see what others have to say.
Old 04-02-03, 08:17 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it is a option. It is better to stay away from the Air suspension models. I do not think it is worth all that $$$ What it basically does is lower the car at bit a high speeds.
Old 04-02-03, 10:08 PM
97LS400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air suspension is part of the "Ultra Luxury" package. It provides an even better ride quality than the standard LS suspension (which is already great.)

If you follow all the discussion threads at the forum you will find that they discuss 3 things:

1. How the adjustment rods (at each wheel) can be used to manually change the ride height.

2. How to order/install an aftermarket electronic ride height controller so the car can be adjusted from the cabin.

3. Several mentions of the car loosing air when parked and several matching descriptions of how to seal the top of the shock where the air seems to start leaking on these rare occasions.

The only complaints on this forum from Air Suspension owners were those that replaced the shocks and paid big $$$. Sounds like more than a few of those could have made minor repair #3 and stopped the air loss.

I did a lot of homework and bought a 1997 LS400 with all options, including the air suspension. I love the feeling when this car gets up to speed and just sucks down to the road tighter.

Some Mercedes/Lexus shopper summed it all up when he said something to the effect of "you guys should look on the Mercedes forum to realize how lucky you are. Most of the Lexus discussions are 'how do I customize my car' and most of the Mercedes forums are complaints about what is broken on their car!"
Old 04-13-03, 06:10 PM
MGRepairs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension

Boy, I would sure like to learn more about option #3, repairing the air leak! I have tried to search, but am not the best at surfing. Sending a link, offlist can work mgrepairs@yahoo.com, may help.

BTW, I second the thoughts about Mercedes lists, owning one of those as well.
Old 04-20-03, 12:32 AM
97LS400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have seen 1/2 dozen threads where the car settled down when not running and they were able to hear a leak at the top of 1 (or more) shock towers. Several reports that an appropriate piece of inter-tube patch and rubber cement have successfully repaired the leak. I have not taken my shock tower apart (my suspension is fine) but for a couple dollars worth of material I am sure that the top of the shock can be sealed if that is the primary source of air leakage. To access the rear towers caps remove the side lining in your trunk.

You could also listen carefully to locate a damaged fitting or line leak. If the controller were to go bad that would just be a great excuse to go with an aftermarket unit that has more height control settings than stock. Unfortunately... there appears to be little or no controller failure.