LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Can Any Decent Shop Replace Springs/Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 08:15 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can Any Decent Shop Replace Springs/Struts?

I have the Eibach/Tokico combo ready to go into a 90 LS400.The question is can any decent repair shop swap the stock suspension for the above? Any tricks or things to watch out for? Do i need to ask them any questions to confirm they are capable? If i remember correctly it's booked at 4 hours labor to do the front and rear.Any thoughts,comments or suggestions please!
Old 04-03-03, 08:46 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Default C'mon Guys...

spill your guts!
Old 04-04-03, 05:44 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY

If you are even a little bit mechanically inclined, you can do this yourself. Instead of paying hundreds of dollars just to install these, spend the money on upper spring pads/cups and bump stops, this way you don't have to compress the OE springs to get those hardwares out.

The Eibach springs on most cases don't need spring compressor to install and if you look at the shocks/springs, you can see that there is nothing attached to it, not even brake lines or speed sensor wires. Three nuts on top and one big one in the bottom and you are done with one corner. Very simple.

I don't know how to gauge a shop competence just by asking questions. You can probably try any speed shops that deal with suspension parts and see if they have the means to do it.
Old 04-04-03, 06:03 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Smile Thanks for the reply Tom

So if i read your reply correctly,the replacement of 2 parts on each spring assembly negates the need to compress? Looking at a parts list can you pick out the parts that i need (front) A)bumper,spring 4833150010 B)insulator,spring 4815750010 C)mount,upper 4868050040 D)cap,mount 9095001659 I assume the same 2 parts are also applicable to the rear? Thanks!
Old 04-04-03, 07:24 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

I don't know if those are the correct part numbers, but their descriptions sound right. Knowing Lexus, they might be quite expensive. From all 4, I can see you need A and B, what's the difference between C & D ? Is D that round, small plastic piece that seals the lock nut ? Any pictures to these ? You can probably get away without D, also, check if these are sold in a kit, this will save you headache and some money. Remember that front and rear maybe different.

How did you get those part numbers in the first place ? If you got the prices on these, please post here so others can use the information.

About compressing the springs, on most cases lowering springs don't need to be compressed, but if yours do, you can always rent a spring compressor for free (with safety deposit of course) at Autozone/Advance/any other auto parts store, this part is the most labor intensive unless you have air tools or electric impact gun. Not having to compress the old springs usually cut the time needed by half if not more, and try to have a buddy who has done this kind of job before to help/watch over you.

Be careful, compressed springs can be dangerous. I don't want anyone to get hurt.
Old 04-04-03, 07:40 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Hello Tom-what i can do is scan and email you exploded diagrams of the front/rear suspension with part #'s and retail prices (which may be slightly out of date) if you want you can post your email address here or sent it to me at: [email]bmg56@webtv.net i've been getting 20% off retail on OEM Lexus parts using a couple of places-Steve Ganz from Carson Toyota being one of them.

Last edited by Bradster; 04-04-03 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 07:44 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

My email twahjudi@insight.rr.com

Thanks !
Old 04-04-03, 08:01 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

It's on the way! i have a 14 page insert that covers the 90-94 LS400 that must have come from a body shop repair guide-it has exploded diagrams,parts #'s,retail prices and hours to repair-bought it off Ebay a while back.I'm going to photocopy it and send these copies out to fellow board members as my way of contributing and paying back for all the great info i've gotten here.About a buck should cover the costs of photocopying and mailing.Do you think it's a good idea?