LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Gonna buy some Coilovers :) opinions/advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 10:34 AM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna buy some Coilovers :) opinions/advice appreciated

I'm getting ready to purchase some coilovers for my 91 LS and was initially set on getting some Ksports but have since had a change of heart and looked at other options. I will be using my LS as a DD and need it to ride/handle like a car not a drag racer if that makes any sense? Not really sure what spring rates are recommended for my LS or what the stock spring rates are? Advice needed please.

Option 1. RS Performance Coilovers - Spring Rates - F12-R10
http://rsperformanceinc.com/

Option 2. Ksports - Spring Rates - F18.6-R9.8

Option 3. BC Racing - Spring Rates - F12-R8

Also if I go the RS coilover route they will custom make them which will probably allow me to change the spring rate setup if needed.
Old 04-23-15, 12:54 PM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Asked the RS Performance rep how the coilovers stack up to the competition and below is the response I got.

These are road and track tested for each model vehicle before we decide on a final product.

These are also German designed and European made coilovers. At the current sale pricing , there is nothing that compares. Closest to these would be the BC racing coilovers which cost more money and don't offer anything close quality wise.

You would have to purchase a set of coilover at around $1500USD to get this level of quality and performance.
Old 04-23-15, 02:49 PM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Old 04-23-15, 07:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

$699 for these? They say Euro made and that is a pretty broad area. The bulk of the ones from the far east, China-Taiwan are taken from JDM models. The Megan is pretty popular and a known. Not familiar with these and to me it is one of those "sounds to good to be true" situations.

Hoping to hear from others experiences.
Old 04-23-15, 07:53 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally just picked up a set of Function and Form Type 2 coilovers last week and installed yesterday. They're rated at 14kg front, 10kg rear with adjustable dampers.

So far I'm very impressed with the ride quality (coming from KYB GR-2 and Tanabe DF210 springs). The stiffer spring rates are very noticeable with bigger bumps but for normal riding, I have my dampers set 12 clicks from the softest on the front, 14 clicks from the softest on the rear (out of 32 clicks) and they ride VERY nicely and composed down the road.

As for stock spring rates.. I'm sure you can find them somewhere but I know that Tanabe DF210 are rated at 6.3kg front, 3.0 kg rear and are 10% stiffer than stock (which means stock should be somewhere around 5.7kg front, 2.7kg rear).

I understand each set of coils are different but I'm sure spring rates and dampers will be somewhat similar since I assume most of these coils are coming from the same area (as RA40 mentioned).

Here's how the car currently sits on my coils and they barely scrape on large speed bumps (coils are compatible for 89-00 F2 claim) best investment I've made on the car so far especially for the price I paid... ($825 shipped).
Old 04-24-15, 12:03 PM
Jordanf
Rookie

I have BC racing coilovers on my UCF10 with upgraded swift springs 16kg front &12kg rear which rides a lot better than the BC 12k/8k springs which I found bottomed out quite often. The ride is very comfortable and not too stiff for really low daily driving.
Old 04-24-15, 12:42 PM
PuppyRad
Driver School Candidate

bc. i wish i wasn't so impatience with getting mine. would've gotten br types lol
Old 04-26-15, 05:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

for super low static you want BC low-spec, PBM, tanabe (if you can get them, they made the best "static" coils with extremely high rate springs, but japan only), Stance, or Function/Form.
Old 04-27-15, 08:36 AM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
$699 for these? They say Euro made and that is a pretty broad area. The bulk of the ones from the far east, China-Taiwan are taken from JDM models. The Megan is pretty popular and a known. Not familiar with these and to me it is one of those "sounds to good to be true" situations.

Hoping to hear from others experiences.
Thanks RA40. I was initially thinking of getting some Megans. They have the same spring rates as the RS. I might just still give the RS coilovers a go, who knows they might be worth it and I won't know until I try them. I'll definitely write a review after.
Old 04-27-15, 08:41 AM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mocchan
I personally just picked up a set of Function and Form Type 2 coilovers last week and installed yesterday. They're rated at 14kg front, 10kg rear with adjustable dampers.

So far I'm very impressed with the ride quality (coming from KYB GR-2 and Tanabe DF210 springs). The stiffer spring rates are very noticeable with bigger bumps but for normal riding, I have my dampers set 12 clicks from the softest on the front, 14 clicks from the softest on the rear (out of 32 clicks) and they ride VERY nicely and composed down the road.

As for stock spring rates.. I'm sure you can find them somewhere but I know that Tanabe DF210 are rated at 6.3kg front, 3.0 kg rear and are 10% stiffer than stock (which means stock should be somewhere around 5.7kg front, 2.7kg rear).

I understand each set of coils are different but I'm sure spring rates and dampers will be somewhat similar since I assume most of these coils are coming from the same area (as RA40 mentioned).

Here's how the car currently sits on my coils and they barely scrape on large speed bumps (coils are compatible for 89-00 F2 claim) best investment I've made on the car so far especially for the price I paid... ($825 shipped).
Thanks for all the info Mocchan. Where did you get the F+F coilovers for $825 shipped? This definitely helps, might just get the 14kg front, 10kg rear spring rates.
Old 04-27-15, 08:45 AM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jordanf
I have BC racing coilovers on my UCF10 with upgraded swift springs 16kg front &12kg rear which rides a lot better than the BC 12k/8k springs which I found bottomed out quite often. The ride is very comfortable and not too stiff for really low daily driving.
Great thanks Jordanf. I would of thought 16kg front &12kg rear would be way stiff. Maybe I gotta rethink my spring rates. 14kg front &12kg rear?
Old 04-27-15, 09:05 AM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

How about Cusco coilovers? I found a used set for $400. Opinions? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-15, 01:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Depends on the model but getting them repaired/serviced in the US will likely be a nightmare.

When working they are quality though.
Old 04-27-15, 01:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Depends on the model but getting them repaired/serviced in the US will likely be a nightmare.

When working they are quality though.
Old 04-27-15, 04:23 PM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
for super low static you want BC low-spec, PBM, tanabe (if you can get them, they made the best "static" coils with extremely high rate springs, but japan only), Stance, or Function/Form.
Dang the spring rates are crazy! Tanabe's 26kg front and 20kg rear. I think that the majority of the coilovers you listed are more on the rare side and price wise pretty expensive. I'm looking at something under $1k for now and eventually I'll get up there. I would definitely like to try those Tanabe's one day.

Quick Reply: Gonna buy some Coilovers :) opinions/advice appreciated