LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New owner First time Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 12:47 PM
unirok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner First time Lexus

I have owned many cars in my life but never a Lexus.

I sold my 2006 Cadillac STS-V and bought the Fiancé a 2012 Honda CRZ and myself a 1998 LS400 and I am blown away. The car has 140K and is in better shape than the Cadillac I sold. Car has a few options like HID headlights and moon roof but the most amazing thing is how deceivingly quick it picks up speed.

Old 04-21-15, 01:07 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

congrats on the find! silly cadillacs ha ha ha...

the 98-00 models are truly the holy grail of the LS, you still get the classic lexus look and feel, and lack of overwhelming unnecessary electronics that overcomplicate things. the 98 also introduced many technologies still in use on toyotas (variable valve timing, variable intake geometry (ACIS), voice navigation, etc...) and as you said it has a tendency to deceivingly increase speed. it really just whisks you down the road like few others
Old 04-21-15, 02:11 PM
unirok
Driver School Candidate

Fellow long Islander I am born & raised there. Port Washington NY. Only been in Texas 6 months. Im really impressed with the LS400 so far. It was between this car and a 2004 LS430 with Nav but it felt heavy and slower slightly when I drove it?

Originally Posted by Stroock639
congrats on the find! silly cadillacs ha ha ha...

the 98-00 models are truly the holy grail of the LS, you still get the classic lexus look and feel, and lack of overwhelming unnecessary electronics that overcomplicate things. the 98 also introduced many technologies still in use on toyotas (variable valve timing, variable intake geometry (ACIS), voice navigation, etc...) and as you said it has a tendency to deceivingly increase speed. it really just whisks you down the road like few others
Old 04-21-15, 03:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Nice buy but knowing what I already know I would have gotten the 430 though it most likely cost more. I'm not knocking the LS400 by any means.
Old 04-21-15, 03:54 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unirok
Fellow long Islander I am born & raised there. Port Washington NY. Only been in Texas 6 months. Im really impressed with the LS400 so far. It was between this car and a 2004 LS430 with Nav but it felt heavy and slower slightly when I drove it?
you're from port washington? no kidding, that's where i live lol... it must be nice to get to take the LS out on some nice 85 mph texas roads when the closest thing here is the L.I.E. out in suffolk which is still only 55 effin mph... total BS

i personally prefer the 400 looks (with the 430 18s and a 1 inch drop) but i'm probably somewhat biased
Old 04-21-15, 04:21 PM
unirok
Driver School Candidate

I would say the LS430 is much improved as far as interior looks and electronic comforts but I don't drive nearly as much as I used to since I work at home and the LS400 was 1/4 the price it made sense for me. When the time is right I would rather just move up to a LS460 but for me right now the LS400 is perfect. Im still getting used to the exterior color.

BTW I owned a 2005 Audi A8 prior to the Cadillac so I am aware of what engineering perfection is.

Originally Posted by sha4000
Nice buy but knowing what I already know I would have gotten the 430 though it most likely cost more. I'm not knocking the LS400 by any means.
Old 04-21-15, 07:47 PM
JJDAG
Driver

Welcome you will find a lot of great info and advice in this club, Nice car! I recently bought a 99 ls400 my first Lexus as well, your comment -
" the most amazing thing is how deceivingly quick it picks up speed." So true these cars will double the speed limit in a flash on the highway. I never expected to enjoy driving this car as much as I do. Its a much better built car than the Cadillac, my last car was a lincoln , loved that car but really only miss the big trunk. Good luck and most of all enjoy your new ride !

John
Old 04-21-15, 11:23 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Beautiful car! Love the color Congrats on the find.
Old 04-22-15, 05:41 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome to the club and great car and great find and welcome to Texas. Another option that you have on your 98 is your wood steering wheel. That was not standard for the 98 model year, but was for the later years. Enjoy the ride. Get the maintenance caught up and just enjoy the comfort and hidden power.
Old 04-22-15, 12:34 PM
unirok
Driver School Candidate

I have owned a 92,95,98 Towncar A 90,95 Continentals 93,98 markVIII and 2003,2005,2008 CVPS as well and they are rock solid cars but none had the refinement or engineering of this 98 LS400. I expect to be amazed when I eventually own a LS460.

I test drove a low mile 95 Acura Legend 5 speed and a high mile 04 Acura RL and almost bought one. I am glad I waited though I am concerned about winter traction on ice.

My ls400 has the base Pioneer audio not sure what options I have adding nave or better sound.

The car had extra owners manuals and cases in the trunk for a 1992 LS400 and 1999 ES300 I will be selling

Thx

Originally Posted by JJDAG
Welcome you will find a lot of great info and advice in this club, Nice car! I recently bought a 99 ls400 my first Lexus as well, your comment -
" the most amazing thing is how deceivingly quick it picks up speed." So true these cars will double the speed limit in a flash on the highway. I never expected to enjoy driving this car as much as I do. Its a much better built car than the Cadillac, my last car was a lincoln , loved that car but really only miss the big trunk. Good luck and most of all enjoy your new ride !

John
Old 04-22-15, 12:40 PM
unirok
Driver School Candidate

Yes your Car looks hot with the LS430 18s I may do that soon. I miss the LIE & NSP Texas toll Highways and never ending construction sucks. Cool that LIRR has a train straight from NYC to PW.

You or your parents must be very well off if you are living in PW though its no Sands point but getting there lol.

Do the 18" fit with no modifications

Originally Posted by Stroock639
you're from port washington? no kidding, that's where i live lol... it must be nice to get to take the LS out on some nice 85 mph texas roads when the closest thing here is the L.I.E. out in suffolk which is still only 55 effin mph... total BS

i personally prefer the 400 looks (with the 430 18s and a 1 inch drop) but i'm probably somewhat biased
Old 04-22-15, 01:41 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unirok
Yes your Car looks hot with the LS430 18s I may do that soon. I miss the LIE & NSP Texas toll Highways and never ending construction sucks. Cool that LIRR has a train straight from NYC to PW.

You or your parents must be very well off if you are living in PW though its no Sands point but getting there lol.

Do the 18" fit with no modifications
yes, i modified absolutely nothing, just a straight swap no biggie

and yeah my parents do pretty well, that's the only reason i still have the car lol, i'm a college student i can't afford the lexus flagship... it used to belong to my grandparents who got some money from a settlement and i guess they decided to go out with a bang and got the car new back in august of '99. when they got to be in their mid 80's they decided they shouldn't be driving anymore and LS 400's really aren't worth too much these days so instead of selling it they passed it down to me. don't worry i never forget how lucky i am to have it and have done nothing but try to maintain it as best i can.

i'm proud to say that i did completely pay for the new wheels as they're "not necessary" and it took a big chunk of the money i made over the summer but totally worth it. totally outclasses the rest of the UMass parking lot it's currently in hahaha
Old 04-23-15, 01:38 PM
unirok
Driver School Candidate

Here is a better picture in daylight I also found a toolbox in the trunk. I felt another box under the front seat but could not put it out while driving and I am at work not near the car. What was that box under the drivers seat?

The car is missing the jack though can someone please tell me what other Toyota models jacks will work?

Thank you I tried search but my system came to a standstill both times with no results.
Old 04-23-15, 02:25 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

the box under the drivers seat is the "official" lexus first aid kit, unless things have been changed there should just be some band-aids and some cotton gauze and whatnot... there's just a little handle you pull on it slides right out
Old 04-23-15, 02:53 PM
unirok
Driver School Candidate

That was in the trunk I guess I will check what's under the drivers seat when I get home.

Quick Reply: New owner First time Lexus