LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ADDICTED to LEXUS

Old 03-14-15, 02:11 PM
rljmusic
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ADDICTED to LEXUS

Hi my name is Ray and I am an addict. That is right, i am addicted to LEXUS. This is a really well engineered vehicle and fun to drive too. Pesky power steering but you have to have some form of challenge in your life or you are not doing it right. Must be that balance thing that some of the old masters teach. That is OK. It is good to be with like minded friends to decipher all things Lexus and to keep the fun alive. I was not too sure if i would like this Lexus thing my other half was going to pick me up in from a long trip after she bought it. i was thinkin, here we go with the over priced yuppy car.Then she hands me the keys and said, here you drive it. I was liking the seats and she gives me a rundown of all the things it has and i became friends with this car real fast. I like the way this car is and after turnin wrenches on it I like it even more. Is this just me or are there other addicts like me in Lexus land? I want one of those new sporty models that looks like a tuner car. Lexus does it right.
Old 03-14-15, 07:06 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

if you're talking about the LS 400 then yeah i'm definitely an addict. it's a car you really don't think TOO much of, and if you've never properly experienced one you'd probably just think it was another ES like many people i've seen, unaware that what they're actually seeing cost nearly twice as much as an ES. before i was incredibly lucky enough to get my grandparents' LS, it was a car i had never really given any thought about, but as i drove it more and more i started to realize just how much better and nicer it is than everything else, even the current 460.

the ENGINE is just amazing, makes almost no noise at all at idle, but step on it and the car just takes off with easily enough oompf to make everyone spill their drinks. i've timed my 99 LS at about 6 seconds flat 0-60, which for the old soft barge is pretty impressive i think. not to mention it'll get over 30 mpg highway, an impressive feat when it was new, but even after all these years still gets just as good milage. just a testament to how incredibly over-engineered and over-built the 1UZ-FE is.

all the controls are laid out perfectly, the buttons are big and very easy to find with only the quickest of glances, and every single one feels EXACTLY the same as when it was shipped over here from japan in may of 1999. even though the throttle control is electric (starting with the 98 model years) there is still a physical cable from the pedal to the engine. even though your input goes through a computer, the throttle response is so good that you feel like there is a direct correlation between how much you flex your foot and how much you sink into the thick, luscious leather.

in a parking lot the steering can be easily operated with only a pinky finger, yet at speed it weights up perfectly, and gives a great feeling in a high speed corner. this car just revels at speed! i've taken mine up to 130 once and it was incredible stable and i probably could've gone even faster. my car sees 100 every so often and just shrugs it off every time like it might as well be doing 40. aight that's enough for now, assuming anyone actually read all of this...
Old 03-14-15, 11:37 PM
kyk007
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stroock639
if you're talking about the LS 400 then yeah i'm definitely an addict. it's a car you really don't think TOO much of, and if you've never properly experienced one you'd probably just think it was another ES like many people i've seen, unaware that what they're actually seeing cost nearly twice as much as an ES. before i was incredibly lucky enough to get my grandparents' LS, it was a car i had never really given any thought about, but as i drove it more and more i started to realize just how much better and nicer it is than everything else, even the current 460.

the ENGINE is just amazing, makes almost no noise at all at idle, but step on it and the car just takes off with easily enough oompf to make everyone spill their drinks. i've timed my 99 LS at about 6 seconds flat 0-60, which for the old soft barge is pretty impressive i think. not to mention it'll get over 30 mpg highway, an impressive feat when it was new, but even after all these years still gets just as good milage. just a testament to how incredibly over-engineered and over-built the 1UZ-FE is.

all the controls are laid out perfectly, the buttons are big and very easy to find with only the quickest of glances, and every single one feels EXACTLY the same as when it was shipped over here from japan in may of 1999. even though the throttle control is electric (starting with the 98 model years) there is still a physical cable from the pedal to the engine. even though your input goes through a computer, the throttle response is so good that you feel like there is a direct correlation between how much you flex your foot and how much you sink into the thick, luscious leather.

in a parking lot the steering can be easily operated with only a pinky finger, yet at speed it weights up perfectly, and gives a great feeling in a high speed corner. this car just revels at speed! i've taken mine up to 130 once and it was incredible stable and i probably could've gone even faster. my car sees 100 every so often and just shrugs it off every time like it might as well be doing 40. aight that's enough for now, assuming anyone actually read all of this...

Stroock - you summed up the LS400 perfectly and hit all the high points I am starting to see and notice in my car. I bought mine a couple months ago, and just like you, this car was not even on my radar at first. Its strengths and merits are almost subtle, but excellence is its calling card.

I am still amazed at the tight turning radius of this car, esp. considering its length. On my road trip back from Texas (to Seattle) I got to experience what you describe as reveling at high speed. The engine note is intoxicating to me, yet the way it revs speaks to the build quality of the 1UZ-FE.

Great job on describing the experience that is the LS400. And Ray, welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 03-15-15, 09:00 AM
CSTU93
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are making me want to go for a cruise.
Old 03-15-15, 01:09 PM
Caseyjones
Rookie

I'm addicted, no doubt. I often drive my Samurai instead but only because the top comes off and I can go literally anywhere. I drove an ES and arrived at the conclusion that Lexus was over rated, but the accidental drive in the LS400 had me hooked and I bought it on the spot. They are NOT even close to the same. It immediately reminded me of my former S class in terms of build quality, and of my old Honda in terms of reliability. Win win.

This is one of the finest all around cars I have ever driven. I'm sold, converted, addicted and very happy. This car is a gem, a hidden gem to judging by book values. I have never seen more car for less money, ever.

Just give in to peer pressure, its ok... all the cook kids are doing it, it wont hurt you! dont be a prude!

I can quit anytime I want, honestly... yup.
Old 03-16-15, 04:56 AM
JJDAG
Driver

Ive had my 99 LS400 for a week now, I like it more and more every time I drive it. This is not a car I would have even searched for when I was looking for a replacement for my Lincoln but I stumbled on this one and took it for a very spirited test drive ( the salesman was grabbing at anything to hang on) on returning to the dealership I bought it. I hope to get many years of driving pleasure from it. Enjoy yours !
Old 03-16-15, 06:17 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

They are a steal at their current prices. The engineering in these cars is excellent. From the first LS I bought (1993) to the last one I just picked up for $3200 for a 1998 and every one in between has been a joy and pleasure to own. That's why I just sold my 4runner to get back into the LS as my daily driver. I've had the 93, 95, 99, 2000 and now the 98... all are with friends or family as I have a hard time letting them go. They are so well crafted and to be able to purchase them with the build quality and reliability they have is definitely a steal. But then I'm preaching to the choir on this site. That's why were all here. The LS 430 stays in the garage mostly as I enjoy the ride and styling of the 400 more. I wish they still made them this good.
Old 03-16-15, 07:23 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I guess you could say I'm addicted to Lexus. My second Lexus was a 94 LS400 black with tan interior. I'm not sure I've loved a car more. There was just something about the fit and the drive. It was a pleasure. My friend told me he wanted the car if I ever sold it. So now it's his.
Old 03-21-15, 07:39 AM
rljmusic
Driver School Candidate

Default Still addicted

This car, the LS400 is great. I went through power steering hell training so I guess this is an initiation rite for a used Lexus owner. I passed.