LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 LS400 Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 02:38 PM
Danx2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 LS400 Buying Advice

Hello everyone, I am currently in the market for an LS400 and I have came across a 1998 LS400 that interests me greatly. But I would like to know if I am getting a good deal:

-Two owner Black on Black LS400 the driver bought it as a CPO when it had only 30k miles.

-The car currently has 270k miles (a lot I know); however, the owner has maintained the car very well. I pulled the records on the car has been exclusively serviced at Lexus dealerships since he owned it. With 14 pages of service history

-The exterior and interior is as good as can be for a car with this mileage, with no excessive wear anywhere.

-One negative however is that the car needs to have the timing belt and water pump replaced soon-ish.

He wants $4000 for it, is this a good deal? Should I offer lower for such a high mileage vehicle? Or is a vehicle with so many miles worth it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-11-15, 03:06 PM
Danx2
Driver School Candidate

One thing I wanted to clear up, the timing belt was already replaced way back at the 90k service. The most recent record entry stated the mechanic suggested to change timing belt and pump replaced "during next visit"
Old 03-11-15, 03:55 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the timing belt should have been replaced at 180k somewhere. find that record and if found would put my mind at ease. it was most likely done and 270k is where the third timing belt/water pump job is necessary once again as you know. that's a $1000 bargaining chip right there!

with that said, $4000 is a lot for such a high mileage car needing necessary maintenance, and it's only a 98 where not many things were standard. a 99 would have been better. i say wait him out and see if you can get a better deal, or what i recommend is to look for another one. though these motors are virtually bulletproof, 270k is way too high to gamble with in my eyes. good luck sir!
Old 03-11-15, 06:26 PM
Danx2
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah just checked the records, it also had the 180k service done too!

Sorry for being a newb: So I the timing belt has to be done every 90k miles?

Also what does the 90k service include?

Thanks for the help Mr. Tool.

Last edited by Danx2; 03-11-15 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 10:39 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF the timing belt/water pump were recently replaced, $4000 would be around the most I would pay. The fact that it will need the tb/water pump immediately, I would not offer more than around $3250 - $3350 tops. Otherwise, I would wait for another car to come around. They usually do.
Old 03-11-15, 11:52 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Here is my thoughts. Yeah these cars can go to some high miles, but the problem is things do wear out. Even with the hopes of high miles on these cars, I consider 300,000 miles the limit for very possible major work.
Even with good maintenance that is still high. You will be buying a car that for all practical purposes is worn out. Unless major things have been done lately. Like front suspension, rear suspension, all wheel bearings, engine and transmission overhaul. Then yeah it would be worth the high $. A timing belt job is more like a $2000 bargaining chip, because there will likely be more than normal needed. Like fan bearing and other such front of engine accessories that turn via the serpentine belt. It really sounds more like a 2k car than a 4k. I see so many low mile cars priced close to that.
Old 03-12-15, 12:15 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If that is your budget, look at the 96-97 cars... IMHO, I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for that car unless it had record of every oil change, tranny service, pump, belt, pully, filter, tire, brake and bulb replaced on the car... Anything short of a perfect service history on a car pushing 300k miles as asking for trouble.

As has been said, these cars can go forever.... But only if they are maintained to a high standard.

I wouldn't waste too much time with this one... There are plenty of gems out there, don't settle for a turd because you are impatient!
Old 03-12-15, 09:28 AM
Danx2
Driver School Candidate

IF the timing belt/water pump were recently replaced, $4000 would be around the most I would pay. The fact that it will need the tb/water pump immediately, I would not offer more than around $3250 - $3350 tops. Otherwise, I would wait for another car to come around. They usually do.
Alright I will try to talk the guy down if at all possible if not I will move on.

Originally Posted by Shmee
If that is your budget, look at the 96-97 cars... IMHO, I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for that car unless it had record of every oil change, tranny service, pump, belt, pully, filter, tire, brake and bulb replaced on the car... Anything short of a perfect service history on a car pushing 300k miles as asking for trouble.

As has been said, these cars can go forever.... But only if they are maintained to a high standard.

I wouldn't waste too much time with this one... There are plenty of gems out there, don't settle for a turd because you are impatient!
I looked up the records on the car and the service record is very extensive, this guy has maintained the car very well.

I would still need to have the car taken in for a pre-purchase inspection. (That's if I want to move forward).
Old 03-12-15, 03:49 PM
LsG86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was me I would definitely buy a 98-2000 model, those are really nice. I love my 97 but I am craving a 98-00. 270k is a lot BUT IF it was maintained at the dealer all its life I would buy it but NOT for 4000.
Old 03-12-15, 06:02 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Danx2
I looked up the records on the car and the service record is very extensive, this guy has maintained the car very well.
Have you looked up what the factory service intervals are and what is included at each service and cross referenced with the mileage and invoices you have?

having a big sack of invoices =/= a solid service history all the time.
I've seen guys with stacks of invoices but they were only for little things like oil changes, light bulbs and break-down; not major services on correct intervals. don't be fooled is all i'm saying.

like i said, at the mileage you are looking at, you are at the cusp of a number of MAJOR services as well as the end of life on a lot of non-service parts. 270-300K is getting into the region of a transmission replacement; virtually every bushing is going to need to be replaced in the suspension along with a few expensive components along like F&R UCAs and wheel bearings; a new rad, fan clutch and lurch bracket are probable; the timing belt and water pump are scheduled now; the cam and F&R crank seals are probably getting close to replacement time....

You could be looking at $5000+ of service and maintenance on this car in the next little bit.... if i was you, i'd make damn sure that service history does well beyond "extensive" and is perfect at $4000

there have been much nicer and lower mileage examples purchased on here by members for the same money...

look at a bunch of these cars, there should be a ton for sale in Cali!
Old 03-12-15, 08:59 PM
Danx2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shmee
Have you looked up what the factory service intervals are and what is included at each service and cross referenced with the mileage and invoices you have?

having a big sack of invoices =/= a solid service history all the time.
I've seen guys with stacks of invoices but they were only for little things like oil changes, light bulbs and break-down; not major services on correct intervals. don't be fooled is all i'm saying.

like i said, at the mileage you are looking at, you are at the cusp of a number of MAJOR services as well as the end of life on a lot of non-service parts. 270-300K is getting into the region of a transmission replacement; virtually every bushing is going to need to be replaced in the suspension along with a few expensive components along like F&R UCAs and wheel bearings; a new rad, fan clutch and lurch bracket are probable; the timing belt and water pump are scheduled now; the cam and F&R crank seals are probably getting close to replacement time....

You could be looking at $5000+ of service and maintenance on this car in the next little bit.... if i was you, i'd make damn sure that service history does well beyond "extensive" and is perfect at $4000

there have been much nicer and lower mileage examples purchased on here by members for the same money...

look at a bunch of these cars, there should be a ton for sale in Cali!
Thanks for the sage advice Mr. Shmee.

As far as the service records go, here are the accounts of it:

Oil Changes

Other Services
264k Changed brake Fluid
229k Power Steering Fluid
213k Wheel Alignment

Major Services
188k 180k Service: Replaced Brakes Rotors/Pads, replaced timing belt, water pump, belt idler, belt tensioner, tranny flush
125k 120k Services: Replaced Brakes/pads, wheel alignment,
110k Service: Balanced Tires, Replaced Battery Cable, Serviced Brakes
105k Service: Rotate Tires, Drain and fill Rear Differential, Air filter, replaced hood struts
97k 3750k Service
94k 3750k Service
91k 90k Service Rotated tires/aligned wheels, Timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, replace O-Ring, fuel injection service,
87k 3750 Service
83k 3750 Service
79k 80k Service

Repairs Done
264k Replaced Transmission mounts, shift rod, and Transmission gasket
220k Replaced Cat
196k Flushed Radiator (clogged)
196k Replace RF Upper Control Arm and RF Strut Rod
128k Replaced Throttle Body
64k Replaced Both Front Radius Arms and O2 sensor

Here are just some of the major things up to a point, there is many more minor things. It all seems very extensive to me.

But understand, I will probably pass on something with so many miles.
Old 03-12-15, 10:19 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at it this way. How much do you have available to spend on a car? Now expand your search a bit and see how many cars, other LS400's, fall into that range. Like Shmee said, the semi-major/minor things can add up at that age/mileage. If the seller isn't willing to come WAY DOWN on the price, move on. If it was me, I would be willing to travel for the right car. You're in CA right? Check Phoenix and Las Vegas areas. It's a short flight and a nice drive back to Cali.
Old 03-13-15, 07:40 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Even though I love these cars... and just bought one for $3k.. I know there is a time for diminishing returns. Although my first one a 93... performed pretty flawlessly except for the AM radio until is untimely demise.

I think the price is high for the miles, but there does seem to be a lot of timely maintenance done. These cars, well, any car for that matter, with this age and miles will require some attention. If you're good mechanically and have some decent tools, then you can take care of most of these things yourself with the help of the forum.

I think, for a bit more money you could buy a car with less miles on it and still have a decent maintenance record. Just don't be in a hurry.
Old 03-13-15, 10:40 AM
Danx2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advice
Old 03-13-15, 10:56 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

So after seeing your list of work, i say HARD NO on this car, at any price.

No tranny service record in last 100k miles
No brake service history
No timing belt and WP since 188k
Suspension work minimal
Was likely stuffed into a curb on the RF corner at 196k

Looks pretty neglected since ~200k on the major service front.
There should have been at least 2-3 transmission fluid services since 188k, probably similar amounts of cooling system services... a plugged rad is also a sign of neglectful maintenance....

keep looking and don't waste anymore time on this one, imho.

Quick Reply: 1998 LS400 Buying Advice