LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel Filter & PCV

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 08:13 PM
tvd51
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter & PCV

It took me a while to locate the fuel filter on my 91 LS 400 but when I've undone the fuel line, the gas came out for about 1 liter without any sign indicating it's gonna stop. Prior to this, I already released fuel pressure by removing the EFI fuse and cranked the engine couple of times. I ended up retightening the fuel line and felt frustrated. Please help.
Another problem I had today was the PCV valve replacement. Removing the hose was easy but I coundn't pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover. Is there any trick to get this valve out ? Any help would be much appreciated.

tvd51
Old 03-16-03, 08:37 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Filter & PCV

Originally posted by tvd51
It took me a while to locate the fuel filter on my 91 LS 400 but when I've undone the fuel line, the gas came out for about 1 liter without any sign indicating it's gonna stop. Prior to this, I already released fuel pressure by removing the EFI fuse and cranked the engine couple of times. I ended up retightening the fuel line and felt frustrated. Please help.
Another problem I had today was the PCV valve replacement. Removing the hose was easy but I coundn't pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover. Is there any trick to get this valve out ? Any help would be much appreciated.

tvd51
Cant help you on the fuel filter, but you need a strong set of pliers to pull the PCV out. It will take lots of work. Just keep jerking it back and forth while pulling it up.

Last edited by LOTC; 03-16-03 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-17-03, 06:04 AM
mlevk
Driver

I have a 91 as well,
I changed my fuel filter about 4 months ago. Yes , alot of gas will come out
but I don't remeber it being a liter ? I didn't even relieve the pressure , just crack
the fitting with a rag over it and let it drip a little .
I actually had a vacuum lock on the gas from the tank/pump portion,
After iot stop leaking out, I started to install the new filter, It started to leak more
but not too much though , So I say wait it out until it stops, and replace it .
Mine was filled with BLACK debris on the pump side.
Old 03-17-03, 10:34 AM
dunn378
Pole Position

where is the fuel filter located on the 91 ls??
Old 03-17-03, 01:18 PM
tvd51
Driver

The fuel filter on 91 LS 400 is in front of the left rear tire, next to the muffler on the outer side. You have to remove the cover to see it. It's interesting that the Mitchelle CD ($20 on eBay), AllData.com and Lexus service manual don't tell you its location or how to replace it.
One Lexus technician at the Lexus dealer in Victoria said that he never replaced one and he didn't know where the filter was located.

Thanks to all of you for help and/or comments on PCV and fuel filter replacement.
Old 03-17-03, 01:33 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Been there done that.

Fuel Pressure release: If you would unplug the battery, the fuel pressure drop. After the pressure drop, you would not see to much fuel. No more that few drops. Vacuum or plastic hoses can be taken out few simple tools. A plier along with a flat screw driver. Before that spray some WD-40 into the connnection. On hand pull with the plier and other push with the screwdriver.
Old 03-17-03, 05:20 PM
92lexus
Driver School Candidate

Default fuel filter

I recently changed my fuel filter on my ls and had quite a bit of free flow gas, If you do as told above it should help, but I also took my fuel cap off and that totally stopped the gas from coming out . As for the pcv valve, easy job, just wear some gloves while pulling it, I busted a knuckle the first time i tried to yank it out.
92lexus out.
Old 03-23-03, 03:37 PM
tvd51
Driver

I finally replaced the PCV and fuel filter on my 91 LS. The PCV required a lot of yanking, but it's more interesting on the fuel filter. I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery, opened the gas tank cap, but the fuel kept spilling (more than 1 gallon), and I decided to replace the filter while the fuel was still coming out. What a big difference it makes, no hesitation, much better accelaration. I bought that car just 2 months ago with 147,000 miles and the previous owners never replaced the fuel filter. About 8000 gallons of fuel run through it, that why it's so dirty.

tvd51
Old 03-25-03, 07:57 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally posted by tvd51
It's interesting that the Mitchelle CD ($20 on eBay), AllData.com and Lexus service manual don't tell you its location or how to replace it.
One Lexus technician at the Lexus dealer in Victoria said that he never replaced one and he didn't know where the filter was located.
I ran into the same thing at my Lexus dealership. They told me the fuel filter never needs replacing. They said that Lexus said if they have ran into a fuel filter that needed replacing that the "Wanted to See It". It should never need replacing. I find that hard to believe, but whatever. They also said the same thing about the radiator hoses. They should last forever and my Lexus tech said he has been there 9 years and never seen one bust or replace a fuel filter.
Old 03-26-03, 05:47 AM
mlevk
Driver

I'd ask how many fuel pumps have they replaced ?
With "dirt/debris" restricting the filter thus making the pump
work overtime, I'd say that it wasn't a good thing.
For $30 and 1/2 hour time , I'd say it is worth it
especially when they charge 600-1100 for interval
maint. !