LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95-97 Reverse signal in dash area?

Old 02-28-15, 07:06 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 95-97 Reverse signal in dash area?

So I was finishing up my Double-Din install today and for the life of me, I cannot find any mention on these forums of a suitable location to tap into to get a reverse signal for the deck.

Now i know i can run a wire all the way up from the back, but:
1. i don't want to
2. thats ghetto
3. i've already put the interior back together
4. a front signal source has to exist
5. i really don't to

I know a ton of guys have double-din decks with reverse cameras and i was curious if anyone has found a good location. I am fairly sure I could tap into the source for the gear indicator light on the cluster, off the back of the cluster, but that signal probably has to come though the massive junction module behind the deck, so it would be cleaner and easier to just tap in there.

I know a few other people who would probably be interested in this info as well!
Old 03-01-15, 08:18 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

The only method I've seen is to tap into a wire leading to a reverse light at the back of the vehicle. If I had installed a backup camera for the Kenwood double-din I had in the 2000 LS400 I sold last year, I was going to mount the camera on the plastic trim panel that contains the two license plate light modules. This would have allowed running a wire a few inches from the camera to a reverse light wire in the trunk lid.

Is your camera wireless or did you already run a cable from the camera at rear of your LS to your new double-din?
Old 03-01-15, 09:20 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

This is for a JDM speedo/tachometer unit. The reverse 12V is the one circled red at the orange colored 18pin connector. This is coming from the neutral safety switch. USDM has connectors at differet positions but the pin assignments may be the same.
Attached Thumbnails 95-97 Reverse signal in dash area?-reverse-signal.jpg  
Old 03-01-15, 12:46 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Where is that unit located Yamae?

Kansas, yeah, the only method ever mentioned is usually off one of the reverse lamp wires at the back. my camera however doesn't need one, it is the deck that wants the signal and the camera harness didn't provide an extra wire to tap into the reverse lights... And I neglected running an extra wire assuming there would be a source up front, cause ya'know, that would make sense!
Old 03-01-15, 05:10 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Shmee
Where is that unit located Yamae?
I never thought you ask me such a simple question. Don't you know where speedo/tacho meter is?
Old 03-01-15, 10:01 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

oh, on the back of the cluster.

I thought you were referring to a control unit somewhere under/behind the dash, since that is what I was talking about.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-15, 11:14 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

if the cluster doesn't work, why not try to tap a signal off the shifter itself?
Old 03-03-15, 03:57 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
if the cluster doesn't work, why not try to tap a signal off the shifter itself?
Do you mean the neutral safety switch?
Old 03-03-15, 10:40 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I checked the the neutral safety switch and there was no dedicated signal for JUST the reverse. Signal was on for all motion gears and off for Park and Neutral...
Old 03-03-15, 01:43 PM
timmy0tool

i would imagine there has to be a signal to relay to the cluster that the gear lever is in position to light up the indicator, no?
Old 03-03-15, 05:58 PM
Yamae

I checked the the neutral safety switch and there was no dedicated signal for JUST the reverse. Signal was on for all motion gears and off for Park and Neutral...
Did you check pin 8 of the connector at the neutral safety switch?
You can get +12V from there when you shift to reverse.
Attached Thumbnails 95-97 Reverse signal in dash area?-neutral-safety-switch-connector-pin8.jpg  
Old 03-03-15, 10:03 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Yamae,
I checked the connector mounted on the front of the shifter assembly, looked to be a 8 slot connector but only had 5 wires. I'll pop the console off and get a picture of the connector tomorrow.
To be perfectly honest, I do not know what the connector was for, I was taking an educated guess that the connector was related to the shifter position. I cannot find a 1996 wiring diagram nor component location list so i'm forced to fly blind on this.

I was under the assumption that the NSS was mounted on the side of the transmission?

Yamae,
Do you happen to have a complete wiring harness diagram and component location list?
Old 03-04-15, 01:06 AM
Yamae

Yamae,
I checked the connector mounted on the front of the shifter assembly, looked to be a 8 slot connector but only had 5 wires. I'll pop the console off and get a picture of the connector tomorrow.
To be perfectly honest, I do not know what the connector was for, I was taking an educated guess that the connector was related to the shifter position. I cannot find a 1996 wiring diagram nor component location list so i'm forced to fly blind on this.

I was under the assumption that the NSS was mounted on the side of the transmission?

Yamae,
Do you happen to have a complete wiring harness diagram and component location list?
I have complete all manuals for JDM UCF20/21 94-97.5 and 97.6-00 written in Japanese. USDM models are a bit different from those.

The connector I informed you is connected to the neutral safety switch attached to the side of the AT body and is located between ATF cooling lines. You can't see it only removing the shift gate. You can see it under the car.

Sorry to say but what Timmy mentioned today was not correct although he often does good jobs to help people. He was only assuming the point this time.
Old 03-04-15, 11:16 AM
timmy0tool

no problem yamae, i was indeed speculating as i really don't know. i would like to know for future reference. you are the technical guru, i applaud your vast knowledge and help!
Old 03-04-15, 11:59 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I did the same thing as Timmy, and assumed there would be an output off the shifter assembly in the cabin.

I guess I'm pulling signal off the back of the cluster then.

Happen to have a removal diagram for the cluster handy for the 95-97?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95-97 Reverse signal in dash area?