LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How an LS is supposed to drive? Advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 09:32 AM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How an LS is supposed to drive? Advice needed please

So I bought a 91 LS a few months ago and so far I've done a full tune up (spark plugs, wires, distributor caps, distributor rotors, air filter, oil filter, and oil change), replaced the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, and valve cover gaskets. Also some misc gaskets, seals, and belts.

The car should run pretty well now that I dumped some money into it but it feels like it's still lacking something when I drive it. From a stop, when I begin to accelerate it takes off pretty well for the first maybe 10 to 20 seconds then it kinda bogs unless I gun it then it takes off but so does my gas.

My question is, is that how all LS400's drive (sluggish)? Is that what I should expect? or should the car run better?

I've done some research and narrowed it down to three possible things that could be causing these problems. I will have to replace the coil pack, the coolant temperature sensor, and the fuel filter. Am I missing anything that could be causing this problem?

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-15, 10:35 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

the '91 is down on power, and gears from the later generations, especially the 98-00 with the vvti and 5 speed so it's not gonna feel as fast as those. i'm pretty sure those 1st gens got about 8.5 sec 0-60 when they were new, do you have any idea what yours gets? the lack of electronic throttle control might also contribute to the slowing down feeling at speed, the later cars with the etcs-i automatically opened the throttle more as the speed increased even with the pedal remaining in a constant position
Old 02-25-15, 11:58 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Coil pack? Does it run with no missing, jerking etc.? I don't think a coil is a problem unless you lost half the engine, it would be a noticeable miss.
Old 02-25-15, 12:05 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Leaking capacitors in the ECM can cause the symptoms you're describing. I suggest you look into that thread. It should not be sluggish. I had a 93, that was very strong during acceleration.
Old 02-25-15, 02:59 PM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the '91 is down on power, and gears from the later generations, especially the 98-00 with the vvti and 5 speed so it's not gonna feel as fast as those. i'm pretty sure those 1st gens got about 8.5 sec 0-60 when they were new, do you have any idea what yours gets? the lack of electronic throttle control might also contribute to the slowing down feeling at speed, the later cars with the etcs-i automatically opened the throttle more as the speed increased even with the pedal remaining in a constant position
Don't know how many seconds it takes to get to 0-60 but can check later. I'm almost sure that its not 8.5 probably closer to 9. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-25-15, 03:20 PM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Coil pack? Does it run with no missing, jerking etc.? I don't think a coil is a problem unless you lost half the engine, it would be a noticeable miss.
Yeah it runs fine and for the first 10 seconds it jolts if I need it to but then it feels like all the power is sucked out and it just steadily advances but there is no oomph to it. It doesn't jerk just feels like maybe not enough gas is passing.
Old 02-25-15, 03:23 PM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
Leaking capacitors in the ECM can cause the symptoms you're describing. I suggest you look into that thread. It should not be sluggish. I had a 93, that was very strong during acceleration.
Thanks I'll look this up. Any link?
Old 02-25-15, 03:40 PM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
I just checked and this seems to be very similar to what I'm experiencing with the LS. Thanks again!
Old 02-25-15, 03:41 PM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Anybody do ECU/ECM rebuilds here in San Diego, CA that's good?
Old 02-25-15, 07:52 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

It shouldn't feel "sluggish" per se, these are pumping out around 250HP, 260 Torque, so it should have quite a bit of muscle, Especially at your elevation. When i had my 95' In Long beach, it felt like i had to hold tight to the steering wheel when giving it hard throttle off of red lights.
Old 02-25-15, 08:48 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I also have a 1991 LS with 321,000 and still going strong with everything original including the A/C PS etc. Don't forget we weigh close to 4,000 pounds so it is a little slow out of the hole but comes strong after 50mph.The only thing I found expensive was the front end components replace twice upper control arms lower control arms lower ball joints strut rod bushings had to buy at Lexus $385.00 all the others bought thru one strop car parts & labor all came to $2,000. Also if you want the brightest tail lights go to DDM tuning in Vista and ask for the new super bright 1157 led bulbs they are insanely bright use red leds only, I also got the dual stack red for the rear window brake light. I also got the HID fog light only $35.00 again insanely bright the headlights on the 91 are not good for HID they blind everyone. The reason my trans ps rear end and engine are original I use synthetic oil in everything I change everything at 40,000 miles engine oil at 15,000 to 20,000miles.
Old 02-26-15, 10:52 AM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
It shouldn't feel "sluggish" per se, these are pumping out around 250HP, 260 Torque, so it should have quite a bit of muscle, Especially at your elevation. When i had my 95' In Long beach, it felt like i had to hold tight to the steering wheel when giving it hard throttle off of red lights.
Thanks
Old 02-26-15, 11:16 AM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
I also have a 1991 LS with 321,000 and still going strong with everything original including the A/C PS etc. Don't forget we weigh close to 4,000 pounds so it is a little slow out of the hole but comes strong after 50mph.The only thing I found expensive was the front end components replace twice upper control arms lower control arms lower ball joints strut rod bushings had to buy at Lexus $385.00 all the others bought thru one strop car parts & labor all came to $2,000. Also if you want the brightest tail lights go to DDM tuning in Vista and ask for the new super bright 1157 led bulbs they are insanely bright use red leds only, I also got the dual stack red for the rear window brake light. I also got the HID fog light only $35.00 again insanely bright the headlights on the 91 are not good for HID they blind everyone. The reason my trans ps rear end and engine are original I use synthetic oil in everything I change everything at 40,000 miles engine oil at 15,000 to 20,000miles.
Thanks for all the info. I've been meaning to go to DDM, I work a few exits from the one in Mira Mesa. I added a can of Restore and regular oil for the first oil change and once I need to change the oil again I'm going full synthetic. Didn't know that about HID headlights blinding, thanks again. Any pics of your 91's headlights and tailights?
Old 02-26-15, 06:37 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not normal
Old 04-16-15, 04:01 PM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Finally got the caps replaced on my ECU and the car is running way better. Thanks all for the advice. Now I gotta fix a few more things to get her back to normal.

Quick Reply: How an LS is supposed to drive? Advice needed please