LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 Ls400 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-15, 01:43 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Ls400 starting issues

Hello clublexus. OK so I'll start out by saying I've been searching for a few hours now and I've come up with nothing. OK so on the the problem,

My starter originally went out on my 91 ls400, replaced that, deleted egr, put it back together wouldn't start, ac compressor had seized and serpentine belt snapped, bypassed that, cranked but wouldn't fire, wiggled the efi relay and it fired up, then died, vacuum leak, fixed than, ran like a dream, test drove and came back.

Now on to the problem at hand now, when I got back from my test drive the motor was smoking, leaking injector oring, but the car ran with no issues. Pulled out the injectors, replaced all the orings, and now when I go to start it, it cranks fires and then dies, regardless if I have my foot on the pedal or not, I hear the fuel pump priming after every start, and the car will stay running if I spray starting fluid in the intake. It has me super confused because it ran before I replaced the orings. No check engine light either. I tried jumping B+ and Fp terminals and didn't hear the fuel running through the rail or return line. Pulled out fuel pump relay, tried to start wouldn't start, put it back in and it fired. Opened ecu and didn't see any leakage from the caps but I'm not ruling those out just yet. Any help would be appreciated. Or if someone could point me to a thread that I might have missed would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-15, 12:35 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem solved

The connector for the coil on the passenger side was brittle and had broken off. It runs again
Old 03-02-15, 01:15 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by sc4shelby
The connector for the coil on the passenger side was brittle and had broken off. It runs again
was that the solution? your car runs now?

why did you remove the EGR? i'm surprised you don't have a CEL when doing that.
Old 03-02-15, 01:18 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Funny it didn't run and have a bad miss.
Old 03-09-15, 12:39 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
was that the solution? your car runs now?

why did you remove the EGR? i'm surprised you don't have a CEL when doing that.
Yes that was the solution, the car runs now, but now i have a random miss that im trying to track down, it only happens occasionally when cruising and more often at WOT. When i had unbolted the EGR from the intake manifold and bent it slightly away to get the manifold off, the tube completely snapped in two and i just wanted the car to run so i had a means of transportation, and I'm still surprised its not throwing a CEL,, i haven't put in a 10 ohm resister yet to trick the ecu.
I know the CEL works because it illuminates when i turn the key on but then goes off as it should

Originally Posted by dicer
Funny it didn't run and have a bad miss.
That's how my 92 sc400 was when it didn't have a coil pack, but the connector I'm talking about was the two wire one on the bottom of the passenger side coil, it wasn't even connected, and i read somewhere that if the ecu senses something like a coil not plugged in, it wont run the fuel pump so it wont flood the motor.