LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sooo this happened today. 90 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 08:58 PM
CSTU93
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sooo this happened today. 90 LS 400

Hi guys, long time looker here. This LS has been my moms since new from a dealer in Atlanta, GA. Anyways, its a 1990 and I'm pretty sure it came off the floor with those BBS wheels. They've been on for as long as I can remember. It sat for a few years and is barely driven anymore.. right around 181,000 miles but still no major problems.

Anyways, the entire point behind this, I currently drive a 2010 Honda and am getting VERY bored with it. I'm all over the place with my next purchase from an Acura ZDX to a LS 430/460. So for now, i'm just taking this over.

There are definitely a few things it could use but overall its still in pretty good shape. Some dumb *** rent-a-cop ran into the pass front door with his golf cart in our community so thats what the faint white is on the door. Thats what we get for parking it on the street I guess... still a bit pissed about it. Who knows I may just end up selling the Honda and live without a car payment.

I've always loved this car so i'm excited to bring it back to life--slowly.

Last edited by CSTU93; 02-10-15 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 10:15 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Congrats! Hopefully you love the car, the LS's are a great line in Lexus's family, new and old. Love the blue Take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 02-11-15, 02:40 AM
CSTU93
Driver

Thank you! I took a look at your LS, beautiful! The 98-02 is such an elegant car. My mom was supposed to be getting another LS in 02 but SOMEHOW came home with..... a yellow Hummer H2 Needless to say, we still have it BUT I'm hoping its days are coming to an end. It's right at 110,000 and it blows me away to see the difference in quality between the LS and H2. ---Since 95,000 miles (MAY 2014) we've spent close to $5,000 on the Hummer. The Lexus feels 10x more solid and it has 70,000 more miles, less preventative maintenance and its 13 years older! I just have so much respect for Lexus and the LS line.

Last edited by CSTU93; 02-11-15 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 07:27 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

welcome and yes those are optional wheels back in the day! love them and lovely car. the quality is obvious on these older chassis. they were going against merc and BMW when entering the market so they needed to be on point! enjoy ownership!
Old 02-11-15, 08:32 PM
CSTU93
Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
welcome and yes those are optional wheels back in the day! love them and lovely car. the quality is obvious on these older chassis. they were going against merc and BMW when entering the market so they needed to be on point! enjoy ownership!
Thank you! I had the pleasure of removing the window tint that was at least 15 years old. Total time for the 4 doors was about 2 hours... left the back windshield on due to the rear defrost and it still looks decent. I plan to get it re-tinted soon. Im considering going back out to the garage to figure out why the fog lights aren't working.
Old 02-11-15, 08:35 PM
CSTU93
Driver

Originally Posted by 630
Looks like a very nice car, can't wait to see what you do with it.
Thanks! I don't have crazy plans for it but I definitely want to get it up to date.
Old 02-11-15, 11:16 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Originally Posted by CSTU93
Thank you! I took a look at your LS, beautiful! The 98-02 is such an elegant car. My mom was supposed to be getting another LS in 02 but SOMEHOW came home with..... a yellow Hummer H2 Needless to say, we still have it BUT I'm hoping its days are coming to an end. It's right at 110,000 and it blows me away to see the difference in quality between the LS and H2. ---Since 95,000 miles (MAY 2014) we've spent close to $5,000 on the Hummer. The Lexus feels 10x more solid and it has 70,000 more miles, less preventative maintenance and its 13 years older! I just have so much respect for Lexus and the LS line.
The LS's are so durable, when I first got mine it had 82,000 miles on it back in July 2013, I didnt do an oil change until at least 10,000 miles later...this was before I knew it was supposed to be around every 5,000(ish). Theyre very durable cars, the technician at the dealership I go to told me the engines are practically bullet proof.
Old 02-12-15, 12:52 AM
CSTU93
Driver

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
The LS's are so durable, when I first got mine it had 82,000 miles on it back in July 2013, I didnt do an oil change until at least 10,000 miles later...this was before I knew it was supposed to be around every 5,000(ish). Theyre very durable cars, the technician at the dealership I go to told me the engines are practically bullet proof.
They most definitely are incredible cars. I think $1500 will get this one back to near perfect mechanically speaking. It currently does fine and has never left us stranded. However, like you, I want to make sure everything on it is in proper working condition and nothing is wrong. I've put 17,000 miles on my 2010 since September I won't be putting nearly that much on this though.
Old 02-12-15, 04:23 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Great car and I concur the blue looks dope! UCF10's are great cars EXCEPT for the stupid head lights. I have a '90 also and they're definitely worth restoring. Enjoy!
Old 02-12-15, 11:08 PM
MngreLMatt
Driver

Well would you look at that car. If that isn't a great looking car. Que hermosa! no?. Enjoy that big beast. Once you get to all the maintenance you have lined up. Don't forget to let those horses run every once in awhile. Doesn't have to be pedal to the floor, but there's no doubt about it, these horses, they like to be run.

What the hell am I talking about. Enjoy the ride

Matt
Old 02-13-15, 12:00 AM
CSTU93
Driver

Originally Posted by mccrimmon
Welcome! Great car and I concur the blue looks dope! UCF10's are great cars EXCEPT for the stupid head lights. I have a '90 also and they're definitely worth restoring. Enjoy!

Thank you! I'm considering taking it to a local detail shop and seeing about getting some paint correction done on the pass. front door and the trunk... and of course a full detail. I have to agree, the headlights SUCKKKK. I never noticed it but tonight it was just ridiculous. I'm going to look into some kind of upgrade but nothing tacky.
Old 02-13-15, 12:03 AM
CSTU93
Driver

Originally Posted by MngreLMatt
Well would you look at that car. If that isn't a great looking car. Que hermosa! no?. Enjoy that big beast. Once you get to all the maintenance you have lined up. Don't forget to let those horses run every once in awhile. Doesn't have to be pedal to the floor, but there's no doubt about it, these horses, they like to be run.

What the hell am I talking about. Enjoy the ride

Matt
Thanks Matt! As I previously said, I normally drive a 2010 Honda and even though it has the 3.5 v6 its still a boring drive. Needless to say, this evening on my way home, I was at an intersection waiting to turn right and got on it a bit.....the *** end swung around and the v8 roared.

I had the BIGGEST smile on my face.
Old 02-13-15, 08:50 AM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the LS, car looks great! I'm sure you'll absolutely love how solid and quiet the ride is compared to your Honda. I loved my Honda but the ride stiffness and lack of any sound insulation was getting to me, this is such a nice difference.

Are you still local to the ATL area? I'm local to this area, haha.
Old 02-13-15, 09:50 PM
CSTU93
Driver

Originally Posted by Mocchan
Welcome and congrats on the LS, car looks great! I'm sure you'll absolutely love how solid and quiet the ride is compared to your Honda. I loved my Honda but the ride stiffness and lack of any sound insulation was getting to me, this is such a nice difference.

Are you still local to the ATL area? I'm local to this area, haha.
It's definitely a car to appreciate. My Honda is a Crosstour which is built off the Accord so the sound insulation is WAY better than my 2008 Civic was. Of course, it has no comparison to the LS, even 20 years newer.

Unfortunately, I'm not near ATL. I wish! I'm in FL the majority of the time but we do have a home in Columbia, SC.
Old 02-14-15, 12:48 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSTU93
Thank you! I'm considering taking it to a local detail shop and seeing about getting some paint correction done on the pass. front door and the trunk... and of course a full detail. I have to agree, the headlights SUCKKKK. I never noticed it but tonight it was just ridiculous. I'm going to look into some kind of upgrade but nothing tacky.
Sylvania Silver Star Ultra excellent lighting option if you can find them. Philips offers an equivalent in the Crystal vision or the Extreme Ultra.

Quick Reply: Sooo this happened today. 90 LS 400