LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission Solenoids Gone Bad?

Old 02-11-15, 05:31 PM
mikob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
What do you mean by "50% up the hot section"?
Do you mean that the level is just the half level of the hot zone? If so, add till the top of the hot zone when ATF is warm. Sorry that English is only my third language and I'm not good at it.

I drive a 98 Celsior. This is my actual experience and this may be useful for you to know the character of this Aisin's AT.

When I filled the ATF Toyota type IV up to the center of the hot zone, I had similar problems as you mentioned. I added some more ( about 0.5L= a half qt+) and it was mostly OK but it was not fully OK when very cold.

So I added some more (can't remember how much precisely) and the AT worked perfectly. It was a few mm ( 1/10 inch) higher than the top hot zone. I dare kept that level now since I drained some to be a bit less than the top level and this caused a slow shifting problem when very cold again. What I think is that the best level is the high end or even slightly higher than that and I added some more. It has been more than 28 months after that and the AT has been working perfectly.
Yamae, that is an interesting anecdote. Since I already have the new filter as of today, I will change the filter anyway and make sure to put fluid to the top after driving the car for a few miles.
Old 02-23-15, 02:34 PM
sereousl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikob
So immediately after I flushed and filled my transmission fluid on my '90 LS400, I realized I filled it too much. So I got back under and flushed until the proper level. The transmission went from perfect to abysmal instantly.

Now I'm getting these symptoms:
*Takes a long time for gear to engage, car wont move in drive or reverse occasionally (esp. in cold weather)
*Gear engages but car moves really slowly until warmed up (even at high rpms)
*Gears engage/disengage when in drive but idling (I have to keep my foot on the brake, it jolts forward when the gear engages!)
*Car stalled when idling once

I've heard the transmissions are rock solid on these. I've read that the solenoid seals sometimes rupture and the solenoids start to fail. Could this be my issue? Unfortunately no OBD on this old beast, so I can't check for solenoid codes.

My 96 es300 is doin the same wen I bought it took atleast less than a minute to move wen I i shift to drive 6month later it's take 40mins to drive n trust me it's not the oil or the filter I changer both n made sure it's enough fluid in the tranny I'm thinkn it's the solenoid gone bad or the tranaxle cable needs to reconnected to the tranny
Old 03-14-15, 04:13 PM
mikob
Driver School Candidate

All fixed. Dropped the pan, cleaned everything (including the 4 magnets) swapped in the new filter, removed as much liquid gasket as I could, and put the new filter in. There wasn't very much oil in there, probably only a couple quarts.

Put 3 fresh quarts of Dexron VI oil in and now the transmission is as good as when I got it.
Old 03-15-15, 12:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So then you likely over filled it by 1 quart. It takes 2 quarts with a normal draining of the pan. And with the wrong fluid it likely will not last too long.

So anyone could plan on marketing a new brand of compatible trans fluid, They will just write on it that its fully compatible with any thing on a lexus. Too bad if it goofs up your transmission your going to have to prove its the fluid that caused it. And the cost of that will be more than replacing 10 or more transmissions, and you'd loose. Because they'd say you are not a qualified Lexus technician and did not properly do the job.

Last edited by dicer; 03-15-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-16-15, 09:58 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All fixed. Dropped the pan, cleaned everything (including the 4 magnets) swapped in the new filter, removed as much liquid gasket as I could, and put the new filter in. There wasn't very much oil in there, probably only a couple quarts.

Put 3 fresh quarts of Dexron VI oil in and now the transmission is as good as when I got it.
But it's type four fluid not dextron six you should use.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...55UaAkfA8P8HAQ

Last edited by sam12345; 03-16-15 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 06:00 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
But it's type four fluid not dextron six you should use.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...55UaAkfA8P8HAQ
The OP stated that he used a Dexron-VI that was compatible with T-IV.

I used Dexron-VI which states it's Toyota T-IV compatible.....<snip>
I suspect that he used Super Tech (ST) Dexron-VI from Walmart:

It's hard to see but look at the fine print.

While ST is a decent enough Dexron-VI, I still wouldn't use a Dexron-VI in any application where T-IV is spec'd. Especially since T-IV isn't that difficult to find. Not saying that it wouldn't work. In this case it's not really clear cut.

ST is the only Dexron-VI that I have seen a statement saying that it can be used in T-IV applications.

I'm glad he got it sorted out and working again.
Old 03-17-15, 07:58 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by paulo57509

While ST is a decent enough Dexron-VI, I still wouldn't use a Dexron-VI in any application where T-IV is spec'd. Especially since T-IV isn't that difficult to find. Not saying that it wouldn't work. In this case it's not really clear cut.

ST is the only Dexron-VI that I have seen a statement saying that it can be used in T-IV applications.

I don't get it the toyota iv fluid at a toyota dealer is less than 6 dollars a quart why use anything else?
Old 03-18-15, 12:03 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

So the new filter and 3 fresh quarts of Dexron VI fixed your problem. It was not the solenoids.

Usually it needs nearly 3 quarts of ATF after dropping the pan and the amount you filled is right. But I don't know your Dexron VI is fully compatible with Toyota T-IV or not. I worry about the long term reliability and I would simply use the genuine ATF which contains special additives. I don't expect that other companies can make the same one.
Old 03-18-15, 03:20 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

In the 1990 owners manual it says 2.0 quarts for drain and refill. So I guess Lexus doesn't know how much trans fluid its suppose to take. Any way if you put in 3 quarts you over filled it. When I drained mine I let it sit for a long time, it still just drained out 2.0 measured quarts. Maybe the newer cars take 3, but this thread is for a 90.
Old 03-18-15, 05:21 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
In the 1990 owners manual it says 2.0 quarts for drain and refill. So I guess Lexus doesn't know how much trans fluid its suppose to take. Any way if you put in 3 quarts you over filled it. When I drained mine I let it sit for a long time, it still just drained out 2.0 measured quarts. Maybe the newer cars take 3, but this thread is for a 90.
See below, dicer and you will know why nearly 3 quarts of ATF is needed after dropping the pan.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post7804183

There stores nearly a quart under the blue line. The drain bolt can't drain the ATF existing under the blue line.
Old 03-18-15, 11:28 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

BTW, shift solenoids do trigger a code, so there is no mistake there. If you don't have a code, it is not them.
And they usually give different problems - like car is really lazy to get into second or third gear and such.
Old 03-18-15, 12:08 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Okay I stand corrected. I haven't had a trans pan off of one yet, just the drain plug. So there is a sort of stand pipe for the plug then? All engine pans pretty much drain all at the plug.
Old 03-18-15, 02:56 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peterls
BTW, shift solenoids do trigger a code, so there is no mistake there. If you don't have a code, it is not them.
And they usually give different problems - like car is really lazy to get into second or third gear and such.
My shift solenoids had issues with no codes.
Old 03-23-15, 12:48 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
My shift solenoids had issues with no codes.
That would be an exception rather than a rule. Perhaps your ECU is not working well, or something else prevented the solenoids from triggering the code.
Old 03-23-15, 07:41 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by paulo57509

I was at Home Depot yesterday and walked through their "new" automotive section. They had quart bottles of Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle synthetic ATF in a silver colored container (like Platinum engine oil bottles). It didn't specify if it was Dexron VI or not (I doubt it's Dexron VI).

On the back label it stated that it met the Mobil 3309 specification which is the specification for T-IV. This ATF isn't listed on Pennzoil's web site though.

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catal...1242976med.jpg

So now there are a few known alternatives for T-IV.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Solenoids Gone Bad?