LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Random Wierdness: temporary stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 10:29 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Random Wierdness: temporary stalling

A strange thing happened to my '98 yesterday. After driving home from an appointment approx. 20 miles away (mostly highway miles, avg. speed: 80) I pulled into my driveway and immediately shut the car off. A few minutes later when I restarted it to pull into my garage it would fire up, run for 1-2 seconds and then immediately shut off. Did this several times before I just let it sit. Fifteen minutes later when I tried again-she started right up and idled perfectly like nothing had happened.

Retracing my steps the only eventful thing I can think of was that my car was nearly on an empty tank (which I normally never do) when I stopped off to fill up before getting on the road to come home. Any ideas?
Old 02-03-15, 11:01 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try with simple things like cleaning throttle body
CEL is on?
Old 02-03-15, 11:05 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by qewani1
try with simple things like cleaning throttle body
CEL is on?
Nope, no CEL.
Old 02-04-15, 06:45 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
A strange thing happened to my '98 yesterday. After driving home from an appointment approx. 20 miles away (mostly highway miles, avg. speed: 80) I pulled into my driveway and immediately shut the car off. A few minutes later when I restarted it to pull into my garage it would fire up, run for 1-2 seconds and then immediately shut off. Did this several times before I just let it sit. Fifteen minutes later when I tried again-she started right up and idled perfectly like nothing had happened.

Retracing my steps the only eventful thing I can think of was that my car was nearly on an empty tank (which I normally never do) when I stopped off to fill up before getting on the road to come home. Any ideas?
Check temperature related sensors. One of them must not be sending an accurate value any more and the ECU can't compensate and doesn't work well enough.
Old 02-04-15, 08:49 AM
alien1974
Rookie

clean the MAF sensor and the TB as already said
Old 02-05-15, 03:58 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Sometimes that is a crank or cam position sensor on the way out. Just another thing to consider.

If it keeps happening get someone with an expensive scan tool to check it out. They can look at the sensors Yamae mentioned and other sensor signals too. For $3000 to $10,000. you can get the tool and do it yourself. I guess there are cables and software for laptops that are cheaper and will do the same thing.
Old 02-09-15, 10:02 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the advice guys. Would definitely like to check what I can on my own, but can someone provide a diagram where these components (ECU and throttle body) are located? Sorry, not an engine guy.
Old 02-09-15, 11:15 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

start with the coolant temp sensor, which is very common on our cars.

for a 90-97 motor but should be similar to your 98. also check FAQ for more links.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ange-pics.html
Old 02-10-15, 01:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

To me it sounds like your fuel pump is reaching the end of its life. There must be a test for the fuel pump.
Old 02-11-15, 11:11 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Thanks for all the advice guys. Would definitely like to check what I can on my own, but can someone provide a diagram where these components (ECU and throttle body) are located? Sorry, not an engine guy.
Air mix path is located above throttle body... see below post

Check the below post
Originally Posted by Yamae
Recently I just have helped a friend of mine who own a 98 Celsior which had a low idle problem and a strange acceleration problem when he turned a corner. I mean the car did not accelerate as if the AT was not engaged. As he pushed the gas pedal more, the car suddenly accelerated and this was rather dangerous.

Those two problems were completely gone after cleaning the throttle body and the air mix path. I took photos at that time and I show you them here below. The air mix path is located at top of the throttle body. The red arrow at top left photo shows the location of the air mix path. 2 photos at right side show it and the lid for it. As PD wrote at former post, the lid is held with two screws.

There are 2 bigger holes and 8 smaller holes at the air mix path. Clean all the holes using a engine conditioner or a carb. cleaner. You need almost a whole can to clean those 2 bigger holes. The air mix path is designed to supply the air to injectors aiming to get better gas mileage mixing the gas and the air at the injector. This path is very important both for the mileage and the smooth acceleration.

I must tell you 2 more that the cleaning of the air mix path should be done while the engine is idling. The throttle body has to be cleaned removing hoses and you also need to push the pre-throttle valve manually.

and for cleaning throttle body, check the below post
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-and-cleaning/
https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...itating-365739

Search you will see many posts
Old 02-12-15, 07:24 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
start with the coolant temp sensor, which is very common on our cars.

for a 90-97 motor but should be similar to your 98. also check FAQ for more links.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ange-pics.html
Never thought of this one, thanks.
Old 02-12-15, 07:28 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by qewani1
Air mix path is located above throttle body... see below post

Check the below post

and for cleaning throttle body, check the below post
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-and-cleaning/
https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...itating-365739

Search you will see many posts
Thanks. This is where I'll start. After that...have the ECU's checked?
Old 02-20-15, 02:43 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Though I have not had this issue again since the first occurrence, I am doing my ECT this weekend. Along with cleaning the TB, MAF and doing a refresh on my K&N. Good times.
Attached Thumbnails Random Wierdness: temporary stalling-imag1063.jpg  
Old 02-21-15, 08:25 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

possibly could be the fuel pump, cheap and easy fix. part under 100$ if you never changed it, you can check autohaus.com for oem.
Old 02-23-15, 02:47 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Those parts ^^^ were not correct - not even close! I ordered them via Sewell, over the phone, and they still got it wrong! Surprisingly, my local O'Reillys had the correct gasket and ECT sensor on the shelf so the job went ahead as planned.
Attached Thumbnails Random Wierdness: temporary stalling-imag1066.jpg   Random Wierdness: temporary stalling-imag1067.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 07-13-15 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Random Wierdness: temporary stalling