LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90 LS Slow cranking and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 01:36 AM
hharlin98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 90 LS Slow cranking and smoke

I have a 90 LS with 230K and I been driving it for a long time but 3 weeks ago I found out that the PCV valve grommet is broken and I replace it. I also found out that there is leaks going into the driver side
plugs. I found out there was a lot of oily sludge and replace the plugs along with the wires.
Prior to this, the car doesn't have any problem starting but last 2-3 days I have difficulties starting. I have to press the gas pedal to get it going. Once it started there is a huge smoke which is also the reason I decide to check the engine 3 weeks ago. But after driving for awhile the smoke goes off. I am puzzle, I wonder if the smoke is due to the oil deposit in the plugs earlier or bad gas since I started using mid grade gas the last 2-3 fill up. Is the battery giving me problem cranking?I replace the alternator last year and I haven't replace the battery since 99.

Thanks
Old 03-13-03, 07:37 AM
tenpointed
Banned

It sounds like your car is starting to burn oil, meaning that oil is leaking through your valves causing oil to reach your plugs thus causing the smoke at start-up. It sounds like you need new valve seals. This could be a costly repair as there is a lot of labor involved. While having that work done, you might also consider new valve cover gaskets, hoses, belts, etc. As far as having to pump the gas to get the car going, it has nothing to do with the battery. If the battery were going bad, it would crank extremely slow or not at all. The slow starting is more than likely due to the valve leak at the spark plugs, which would give resistance to the spark at start-up. After the car runs for a while, the oil will burn off, thus causing it to run smoother and to smoke less.
Old 03-13-03, 11:44 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Describe the smoke (e.g. color, smell, duration, and frequency), before assuming your car is burning oil excessively.

Last edited by hyperopt; 03-13-03 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-13-03, 02:06 PM
tn52
Rookie

Default Tune up?

I agree with hyperopt. Don't jump into any conclusion as yet.
. Black smoke = your engine is flooding -> very difficult to start
. White smoke = water/antifreeze contamination ( gasket, head problems) -> easy start
. Blue smoke = worn rings/piston -> easy start

If you can't start the engine in a couple tries then don't keep cranking the engine, don't "floor" the gas pedal because you just make it worse by flooding it. When was the last time you did a tune up?
Good luck.
Old 03-13-03, 10:04 PM
hharlin98
Driver School Candidate

Question 90 LS Slow cranking an dsmoke

The color of the smoke is grayish and just at the initial start. The last couple fill up I fill mid grade gas and could this be another problem. Yesterday I filled with Techron Super and it start up easier.
However the car is still running smooth. I think there is still excess oil that might be left from the PVC leaks from the top of the engine and flow in the plugs don't you guys think so?
If it is the valve leaks, what and where is it in the engine proximity?Do you guys think it is much better for me to replace with another used engine if fixing it will cost a lot of money?What about the stop leak oil from kragen will it work?
What about changing to Mobil 1 oil, will it help? I haven't actually done a tune up in a while just regular oil change the last 2 years at the jiffy lupe (cheap oil). I just started work after being laid off for a year.

Thanks guys
Old 03-14-03, 03:23 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 90 LS Slow cranking an dsmoke

Originally posted by hharlin98
The color of the smoke is grayish and just at the initial start.
Sound like blue smoke on cold start up ==> leaky valve seals.

The last couple fill up I fill mid grade gas and could this be another problem.
Nope, been running regular gas for many thousand miles without a hickup.

I think there is still excess oil that might be left from the PVC leaks from the top of the engine and flow in the plugs don't you guys think so?.
Not if the engine for at least 10min at operating temperature.

What about the stop leak oil from kragen will it work?
What about changing to Mobil 1 oil, will it help?
Don't expect miracle from a can. Using thicker oil will help.

Do you guys think it is much better for me to replace with another used engine if fixing it will cost a lot of money?
There is no guarantee that another used engine won't have problems. If leaking is not excessive and you cannot afford to fix the problems, then learn to live with it. Add oil often and check for foul plugs.

Last edited by hyperopt; 03-14-03 at 03:24 PM.