LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

questions on driving habits

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 07:46 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Had my LS over 100mph this weekend on the freeway just as the sun was breaking.....smooth as silk. It's a beautiful thing. Someone mentioned long in first gear when cold. Is this the norm?
Old 02-03-15, 09:18 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by pmarr
Had my LS over 100mph this weekend on the freeway just as the sun was breaking.....smooth as silk. It's a beautiful thing.
that was really nice... brings a tear to my eye

as for holding the gear, i think it's actually 2nd gear that gets held... the car always seems to want to shift out of 1st somewhat quickly. but anyway yeah the car will hold the gear till about 2500 rpm or so before shifting. this only happens until the coolant needle begins to move off its peg (at about 100℉ or so i think). once you see the needle beginning to rise it shouldn't be doing it anymore.

being in an LS at 100+ mph on an empty highway really does make you wonder what's so illegal about it doesn't it?
Old 02-04-15, 02:04 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

it stays on the gear longer bc the car needs to warm up first including the transmission fluid. in my toyota tacoma, when cold, the truck feels like it's in neutral when taking off as the fluid is not thin enough to move through the torque converter as efficiently.

this is why i recommend warming up the car for about a minute before driving, and be easy on take offs until the oil gets to temperature (~30mins of driving). the temp gauge only measures water temperature.
Old 02-11-15, 03:42 PM
FroDearest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
obviously i want my LS to last as long as it can, and if i could i'd just trundle around all slow like much like my grandparents before me, however the 1UZ vvti is just such a magnificent powerplant, the temptation to floor it every once in awhile is just too much!

main points of the thread coming up now:

so my questions are... will "exploring the performance envelope" every so often (maybe once in every 4-5 drives) have long term negative effects? should the pedal find itself touching the floor, it's only after the car has been on for awhile and is thoroughly warmed up, and i am INCREDIBLY gently for the first 10 minutes or so of driving. i also make sure to change my oil and trans fluid somewhat frequently, only with mobil 1 synthetic and type t-iv of course

another thing i find i can't help myself doing every once in awhile is putting the gear selector in L when i come to a stop, making the turn, giving it some, and then putting the selector back in D. my complaint is that it shifts out of 1st too soon, and when you want some acceleration its already in 2nd, so by holding 1st gear like that you can have much more acceleration on demand

so should i stop doing one, or both of these? i haven't noticed any issues and the car runs perfectly fine, i just don't want to find out that i did some major damage later on though
I regularly "explore the performance envelope" in my 1990 ls400 with 254k miles. I change the oil about every 5k miles and the air filter once a year. No problems at all, and the car still feels lively!
Old 02-12-15, 01:36 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FroDearest
I regularly "explore the performance envelope" in my 1990 ls400 with 254k miles. I change the oil about every 5k miles and the air filter once a year. No problems at all, and the car still feels lively!
that makes me feel better, are you fastidious about being very gentle when the car is still warming up? transmission still shifts fine and there's no weird noises or anything? are you the original owner?
Old 02-12-15, 05:28 PM
Yamae

Received 851 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
haha i thought i was the only one that put the car in neutral at red lights when the car is still cold. i did it for the same reason, as well to save my foot/leg from pressing onto the brake too hard since the car is still idling high and wants to go!
So you guys don't know how the AT wears the clutch. Aisin's engineers never touch the shift lever until they arrive at the destination because they really know how the AT works. Hope you guys don't shorten the AT life.
Old 02-12-15, 07:48 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yamae
So you guys don't know how the AT wears the clutch. Aisin's engineers never touch the shift lever until they arrive at the destination because they really know how the AT works. Hope you guys don't shorten the AT life.
i know shifting in and out of gear while you're moving is bad, but what about shifting into 4, 3, 2, or L?
Old 02-13-15, 12:38 AM
Yamae

Received 851 Likes on 643 Posts

i know shifting in and out of gear while you're moving is bad, but what about shifting into 4, 3, 2, or L?
You can get the answer viewing the drawing which I posted 2 years ago.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...trainer-3.html

Every gear uses one clutch or more. The 1st and 2nd gear use "Forward Clutch (C1)", 3rd and 4th gear both "Forward Clutch (C1)" and "Direct Clutch (C2)", 5th gear both "Direct Clutch (C2)" and "O/D Direct Clutch (C2)". Every time when a clutch works, it wears some and someday a slipping will start to occur. AT clutches never last forever like our life.

Last edited by Yamae; 02-13-15 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 04:42 PM
FroDearest
Driver School Candidate

that makes me feel better, are you fastidious about being very gentle when the car is still warming up? transmission still shifts fine and there's no weird noises or anything? are you the original owner?
Yes, I take it easy on the first drive of the day. Transmission shifts perfect, though I probably need new mounts. No strange noises from the drivetrain. I'm not the original owner, in fact I'm the third. The previous owner was a young man and he probably did get on it even more than I do.
Old 04-07-15, 07:42 PM
JJDAG
Driver

that was really nice... brings a tear to my eye

being in an LS at 100+ mph on an empty highway really does make you wonder what's so illegal about it doesn't it?
You couldn't have said it better !
Old 04-18-15, 12:02 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

As crazy as this sounds it seems to be that one way to kill an Ls400 is to just putt around town in it. These cars love to be driven HARD. And as long as your fluids are good and it's running right it's good to throw it around and buiry the needle now and then. They have performance drivetrains and like to be kicked around. Let's put it like this. Treat your Ls400 like your girl. good but not too good cause she will run away if you aren't an ******* once in awhile.
Old 04-18-15, 11:49 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
As crazy as this sounds it seems to be that one way to kill an Ls400 is to just putt around town in it. These cars love to be driven HARD. And as long as your fluids are good and it's running right it's good to throw it around and buiry the needle now and then. They have performance drivetrains and like to be kicked around. Let's put it like this. Treat your Ls400 like your girl. good but not too good cause she will run away if you aren't an ******* once in awhile.
Sorry they are not performance cars, and they are meant to be old granny cars. So what is performance about rubber u joints? If you want any machine to last, you don't put it to the limits.
How often are Top fuel dragster engines overhauled? Yeah like after every run or so, that's a thousand feet. So yeah if you want to wreck stuff go ahead and beat it.
Old 04-20-15, 12:00 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
Sorry they are not performance cars, and they are meant to be old granny cars. So what is performance about rubber u joints? If you want any machine to last, you don't put it to the limits.
How often are Top fuel dragster engines overhauled? Yeah like after every run or so, that's a thousand feet. So yeah if you want to wreck stuff go ahead and beat it.
yeah i don't know if i'd call it a "performance car" but it is certainly an incredibly well performing car

take a look at the brochure down there and tell me that they're not basically telling you to make sure to leave that accord you pulled up next to in the dust

http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/St...?sort=9&page=1

they can't talk about an engine that "from 0 to 60, bests the mercedes-benz s420 and bmw 740li" and then make it some pig... also comparing a top fuel dragster to a street car? for a start top fuel engines make over 7000 horsepower, burn nitromethane (not gasoline) at a rate of over 11 gallons per second, and burn up their spark plugs mid way through the run. they're built to quite literally be the fastest accelerating vehicles on land, not durable luxury sedans meant to provide years of comfortable, worry-free motoring, which the LS just so happens to do brilliantly

Last edited by Stroock639; 04-20-15 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-20-15, 02:29 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

THE Top fuel comparison was to show what BEATING A MACHINE DOES. And what the repair requirements are when extracting way more from a machine than what it was meant for. Those engines are pushed to limits that are not sustainable, well I guess the ET's tell the story.
Old 04-20-15, 07:42 PM
JJDAG
Driver

Yes I wouldn't call the LS 400 a "performance car" either but for a heavy luxury sedan it does perform extremely well especially at high speeds. I also don't feel that some spirited driving wouldn't hurt it one bit, but doing burnouts, donuts, drifting and what not is simply just not good for any car performance or not it will break. Theres a difference between flooring it getting on to a parkway or passing someone these cars certainly have plenty of power to do so and more than enough to maintain higher speeds without a problem. Theres a difference between beating on the car and driving fast as well as a time and a place. I do find it hard to keep it under 80 on the highway its just so smooth and quiet I feel like i'm going 40