LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP! :( IACV? TPS? ECM? Dies cold, High idle warm.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 10:42 AM
alien1974
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks like a faulty tps to me
Old 01-17-15, 09:03 AM
dylanoj
Driver School Candidate

I will order a new tps sensor after I get the other iac in. Thank you for the input.

Quick question, when the main part of the iac is out, should the shaft with the head on it and spring around it move freely at all? Both of mine only move in/out like 1/16" ...but idk if it electronically controlled, or totally stuck. Should I be able to push that shaft in and out by hand, if so how much play should it have approximately?
Old 01-18-15, 10:54 AM
dylanoj
Driver School Candidate

I squoze the air hose going from the IAC to the intake, and the idle lowered and steadied... it must be just the IAC right?
Old 01-22-15, 06:47 PM
dylanoj
Driver School Candidate

Well, I replaced the IAC, the harness connector and the o-ring between the two halves of the IAC,
AND IT FIXED THE PROBLEM! The car now starts up and idles and runs great.

HOWEVER, I am back to where I was a couple weeks ago, the car randomly decides to not start... like, I'll go to start it, it will start, then die, then I try to start it again, and it will just turn over forever and not start, then I let it wait a min, and try again and whilst it is turning over I'll pump the gas pedal slightly, but rapidly and it start sometimes. Sometimes it will just start if I give it a few min and come back... any ideas?
Old 01-22-15, 09:21 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Good grief take it to a mechanic. You should have read the codes before you put one dollar into it. You might have a vacuum leak, faulty O2 sensor or something along those lines. Get the fault codes read before you waste any more money.
Old 01-23-15, 10:53 AM
dylanoj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
Good grief take it to a mechanic. You should have read the codes before you put one dollar into it. You might have a vacuum leak, faulty O2 sensor or something along those lines. Get the fault codes read before you waste any more money.
I'm sorry, is this not the place to troubleshoot issues?
I've gladly spent about $120 so far on parts, and fixed a few problems.
I am mechanically inclined, and paying $1k+ for what I've already done for next to nothing doesn't sound pleasing.

I've had great results on many forums for other vehicles.

Is there a different, more knowledgeable forum I should be consulting instead?

...I've never had someone tell me to stop "wasting money" and just "take it to a mechanic".
That seems ludicrous to me and it would completely negate my reason joining this forum in the first place...
Old 01-23-15, 12:51 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Your In the right place, that's just one members opinion. When you are not getting anymore responses then maybe go somewhere else.
Old 01-23-15, 07:21 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dylanoj
I'm sorry, is this not the place to troubleshoot issues?
I've gladly spent about $120 so far on parts, and fixed a few problems.
I am mechanically inclined, and paying $1k+ for what I've already done for next to nothing doesn't sound pleasing.

I've had great results on many forums for other vehicles.

Is there a different, more knowledgeable forum I should be consulting instead?

...I've never had someone tell me to stop "wasting money" and just "take it to a mechanic".
That seems ludicrous to me and it would completely negate my reason joining this forum in the first place...
I'm telling you to find a mechanic because it's pretty clear you don't know what you're doing. In my opinion, it's probably cheaper to take it to someone who does than to throw parts at a problem and pray for results. At least let the mechanic diagnose the problem, then you can buy the parts and repair it yourself if you'd like to save a few bucks.
Old 01-24-15, 11:35 AM
dylanoj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
I'm telling you to find a mechanic because it's pretty clear you don't know what you're doing. In my opinion, it's probably cheaper to take it to someone who does than to throw parts at a problem and pray for results. At least let the mechanic diagnose the problem, then you can buy the parts and repair it yourself if you'd like to save a few bucks.
It's clear I don't know what I'm doing because I've successfully and completely resolved the original issue a came on here for help with?

...Or was it something else which somehow proved that to you?

Obviously I amn't 100% knowledgeable in diagnosing any engine, and neither is anyone else.
That what places like this are for.

WHY would I go pay a bunch of money to have someone diagnose my car, when I can explain what it is doing on a forum and someone with potentially more knowledge than a mechanic I could take it to could tell me what the problem is.

Seriously, does that not make sense?
jesus christ.
Old 01-24-15, 11:39 AM
dylanoj
Driver School Candidate

If someone could point me to a more useful forum that would be great, maybe a 1uzfe forum?
I can't find much.

I tried joining Lextreme, but they never sent me the confirmation email to activate my account... -_-
Old 01-24-15, 12:00 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by dylanoj

I tried joining Lextreme, but they never sent me the confirmation email to activate my account... -_-
I'm in that same boat. Tried joining and nothing.
Your next thing to do is check fuel pressure.
Old 01-26-15, 04:37 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Have you checked the intake hose for rips? Have you cleaned the throttle body yet?
Old 01-26-15, 09:14 AM
dylanoj
Driver School Candidate

My cel finally came on and it is a code 22... ect sensor. Which I have already cause I was planning on replacing it because I thought that MIGHT be the problem and the reason it would occasionally randomly not start. Because if that thing is not working correctly, it could be sending a wacky signal to the ecu causing a fuel/air ratio problem.

I still only have about 10% faith that is gonna work. But I will post back with results. If that doesn't cure it, I'll definitely be checking fuel pressure etc.
Old 01-26-15, 09:16 AM
dylanoj
Driver School Candidate

I have checked for rips, I have not cleaned the TB yet.

...I'm thinking about seafoaming it, anyone had any results with seafoam on an ls400?
Old 01-26-15, 12:54 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Seafoam has been used by lots of members with no complaints. Whether it's useful or not is another discussion.

Quick Reply: HELP! :( IACV? TPS? ECM? Dies cold, High idle warm.