LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 12:56 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms

Not trying to overstate the obvious here, but adding negative camber to your setup places a lot of stress on your wheels and suspension and is not for those who want any kind of a "stock" look or feel when they are done. My reasons: I just want to get that VIP look while riding static. When I searched the forums on how to do this all I could find was incomplete information so I made this quick DIY thread. My setup (and methods) may be different from yours so results will vary.

First things first - you can achieve a few degrees of neg. camber by adjusting the factory adjustment bolts that came with the car, so that's obviously the first step. Support the rear of the car on jacks to unload the suspension and (optional) remove your rear wheels. Turn the "adjustment disc" on the short toe arm and the longer camber arm so the flat edge of the discs are pointing towards the centerline of the car.
Attached Thumbnails DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms-imag0946.jpg   DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms-imag0947.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-30-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-29-14, 01:16 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Once you have the discs where you want them retighten all four points and then loosen-up all four of your megan arms. I chose to remove the rear wheels as well since it's easier to manipulate the arms with the wheels off - working in the wheel well from the outside of the car. This position also gave me a better POV of which direction to turn the adjusters, and while you're here you may want to readjust your coils; compensating for the extra drop you're gonna get by leaning the wheels. I lengthened both sides up to 4.5" from 4".
Attached Thumbnails DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms-imag0950.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-29-14 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 01:18 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

My highly scientific neg. camber adjustment method: eyeball the toe and desired camber angles as I extended the short arm out to 4" and the long arm to 5" (both pieces were measured from one locking nut to the other). At this point (with the suspension unloaded) it will be nearly impossible for you to judge if you added too much until you get the car back on the ground so you may have to repeat this process a few times. Hand tighten the locking nuts and put the wheels back on.

With the wheels back on, however, you should be able to see if your toe in/out is good or not. Not trusting my calibrated eye this time I used the old string level method and dialed it in as close as I could by readjusting the short arms.
Attached Thumbnails DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms-imag0949.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-29-14 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 01:24 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Once I was fairly confident that everything was where I wanted it to be, I retightened everything and put her back down for a look. Results achieved: a nice little gangster lean with almost full tire contact. Not too aggressive and thanks to the prior coil readjustment, the residual drop of the entire vehicle was minimal. As long as it can still maneuver up/down my driveway I'm good!
Attached Thumbnails DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms-imag0952.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-29-14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 01:28 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Since I was working on a sloped driveway I pulled back into the (relatively level) garage and took a measurement with this handy clinometer app and despite my eyeballs telling me one side leaned in more, both sides actually fluctuated between 8.5 and 9.2 degrees so they are basically within a fraction of a degree off from each other. Next up: the test drive.
Attached Thumbnails DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms-img_1205.jpg  
Old 12-29-14, 01:36 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Test drove the car and I did not see one bit of difference (yet) it it's handling characteristics. It still rides tight over the bumps and everything else that goes along with a lowered, heavy car yet still goes down the highway straight as an arrow at 90+.

Last job for tonight is to get her up on the ramps (suspension loaded), crawl under there and final tighten everything down. I don't have a shorty torque wrench so I'll just be using the PFT method. Cheers.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-29-14 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 02:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice write-up but why in the name of god are you adding negative camber when you have such weak fitment that doesn't require it?

Also, I may be a bit rusty but i'm pretty sure you're doing the string-toe wrong, you're not supposed to use the outside of the body as the reference point. You're going to destroy those tires until you get it properly aligned.
Old 12-29-14, 03:18 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Nice write-up but why in the name of god are you adding negative camber when you have such weak fitment that doesn't require it?

Also, I may be a bit rusty but i'm pretty sure you're doing the string-toe wrong, you're not supposed to use the outside of the body as the reference point. You're going to destroy those tires until you get it properly aligned.
Why did I climb Mount Fuji? There is no explanation, other than "I like it". And I have to ask...how do you "properly align" negative camber anyway?

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-30-14 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-29-14, 03:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Getting ready to drop 40-50mm wider/less offset wheels next.

Could have gone this way too:

Last edited by RA40; 12-29-14 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 12-29-14, 03:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Why did I climb Mount Fuji? There is no explanation. And despite none of your other dire predictions of my mods coming true, I have to ask...how do you "properly align" negative camber anyway?
0-toe or a little bit of toe-in with the hope it toe's out under load.

the camber will excessively wear your tires of course, but not nearly as fast as the toe/thrust being off.
Old 12-30-14, 02:22 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh wow... So much to correct... Space reserved for adaquate reply tomorrow...
Old 12-30-14, 11:02 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
Getting ready to drop 40-50mm wider/less offset wheels next.

Could have gone this way too:

Wow, now that's really different - though I won't ask "why" since I'm sure this person thought it was a really great idea.
Old 12-30-14, 11:42 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shmee
Oh wow... So much to correct... Space reserved for adaquate reply tomorrow...
Oops, looks like I forgot to route my "modification permission slip" via the CL panel-of-experts again. Seriously though, if you have something to add relative to safety or another serious matter I'm all ears.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-31-14 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-30-14, 12:38 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any idea on the minimum and maximum camber achievable with Megan arms?
Old 12-30-14, 07:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That GS photo is a chop BTW.

Quick Reply: DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms