LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY negative camber setup w/ adjustable megan arms

Old 12-31-14, 10:14 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
That GS photo is a chop BTW.
Meaning...it's fake?
Old 12-31-14, 10:19 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Any idea on the minimum and maximum camber achievable with Megan arms?
No idea. I even checked their website but there is no info there either - prob. for liability reasons?
Old 12-31-14, 10:55 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So your adding negative camber because you like the way it looks and not because you need it so your quarter panels dont destroy your tires?

we are just providing you positive criticism since it looks really bad with such a sunken look. I see this trend now with Hondas and stupid negative camber on stock wheels.
Old 12-31-14, 11:03 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Meaning...it's fake?
Yup. The thought behind that is amusing though. To have that much positive camber the fenders would require equal amount of work for clearance, a flush positive look. Imagine if it was aired up.
Old 12-31-14, 12:36 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
So your adding negative camber because you like the way it looks and not because you need it so your quarter panels dont destroy your tires?

we are just providing you positive criticism since it looks really bad with such a sunken look. I see this trend now with Hondas and stupid negative camber on stock wheels.
So let me see if I got this straight: negative camber resulting from airbags or deep offsets = super cool and what I did, because it was "not necessary" = really bad? Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 12-31-14, 01:08 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright well it's not so much a correction as it is just a heads up. If you're going to string align your car, you can not tape string to your car and expect to get accurate numbers. You need to fixed reference points outside of the car to measure to in order to get accurate numbers for your toe and for your camber.

Also you cannot tighten the bolts for the suspension component that uses a rubber bushing while the car is in the air and the suspension is in droop. This tears apart the bushings when you go to lower the car and load up the suspension. Additionally, you cannot make adjustments on the ground at expect to get accurate numbers without either unloading the tension in the tires by rolling the car back and forth while bouncing the suspension and turning the steering wheel from side to side. If you have slider plates then you wouldn't need to move the car as much you just need to bounce the suspension.
As far as your method for adjustment goes, quite often with cheap arms like Meagans the adjusters are in bad positions so it's often better to do your major course adjustments on the arms and leave the factory adjustment points for doing your precise adjustments on the rack.

I know a lot of people who do their own sting alignment at home, and I have done a ton at the track, so I'm not saying you can't do it; you just need to go about it with a much different methodology. Google string alignment systems and plumb measurement methods. With a little basic math and a lot of time initially, you can figure out a way to do end up doing it quite accurately and quickly with practice.

Last edited by Shmee; 12-31-14 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 01:20 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So let me see if I got this straight: negative camber resulting from airbags or deep offsets = super cool and what I did, because it was "not necessary" = really bad? Thanks for clearing that up.
I dunno if I would say negative camber because of bags = cool...

I think it's more, "excessive camber for the sake of excessive camber = wtf"
If you are doing it for clearance reasons, which happens to be where the trend started in the first place, then that is sort of the whole point. If you are doing it to get measurements that will allow you to push your fitments, that's generally cool too.

I think it's just a bit of a disconnect between some people and others who are ardent purists and elitists. Form follows function, so if your form follows no function then that's where you'll see a lot of the "WTF?!" Type of comments.
Old 12-31-14, 01:25 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yes exactly. glad you understood
Old 12-31-14, 03:01 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I though it looked weird without the wheels being flush also. I figured the OP was getting it ready for some wheels that could not fit. If you like the wheels like that then more power to you but you did post it in a public forum... Just enjoy your car and happy new year.
Old 12-31-14, 03:01 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yes exactly. glad you understood
Good one. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-14, 03:02 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shmee
Alright well it's not so much a correction as it is just a heads up. If you're going to string align your car, you can not tape string to your car and expect to get accurate numbers. You need to fixed reference points outside of the car to measure to in order to get accurate numbers for your toe and for your camber.

Also you cannot tighten the bolts for the suspension component that uses a rubber bushing while the car is in the air and the suspension is in droop. This tears apart the bushings when you go to lower the car and load up the suspension. Additionally, you cannot make adjustments on the ground at expect to get accurate numbers without either unloading the tension in the tires by rolling the car back and forth while bouncing the suspension and turning the steering wheel from side to side. If you have slider plates then you wouldn't need to move the car as much you just need to bounce the suspension.
As far as your method for adjustment goes, quite often with cheap arms like Meagans the adjusters are in bad positions so it's often better to do your major course adjustments on the arms and leave the factory adjustment points for doing your precise adjustments on the rack.

I know a lot of people who do their own sting alignment at home, and I have done a ton at the track, so I'm not saying you can't do it; you just need to go about it with a much different methodology. Google string alignment systems and plumb measurement methods. With a little basic math and a lot of time initially, you can figure out a way to do end up doing it quite accurately and quickly with practice.
Thanks for the tip. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-15, 06:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee

nail on head.