LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

cheapest way for better sounding exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 08:40 AM
msweber97
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cheapest way for better sounding exhaust

Now that i finally have my car running right, what is the cheapest and easiest way to make the exhaust sound deeper and just a little bit louder? Not sure if just going to a muffler shop and having the factory ones cut out and cheap ones put in would be alright or not whats everyones input?
Old 12-28-14, 08:49 AM
lexmoose
Pole Position

do the muffler delete mod

ask the shop to cut near the muffler and put a pipe in place. this will give you the deeper sound and loudness ur looking for
Old 12-28-14, 09:05 AM
msweber97
Driver

i dont want it too loud so i would like to have some type of muffler on there but want a deeper sound and a little bit louder then stock for sure.
Old 12-28-14, 09:08 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

....Sorry, i couldn't resist.

Try poking around on Youtube and see what some others have done. People are usually proud to show off their exhaust and are quick to share what brand they used.
Old 12-28-14, 09:19 AM
msweber97
Driver

wish i had money for full exhaust headers on back!
Old 12-28-14, 09:38 AM
msweber97
Driver

there are some good sounding exhausts on youtube cant decide to have resonators removed and keep mufflers or just get rid of mufflers for now
Old 12-28-14, 11:52 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Luxury cars are supposed to be quiet. If you want loud cars change your interest in car make and brand.
Sports type cars are for fancy handling, speed, performance, and lots of noise from the exhaust. Its not a cheap way to go, but the logical way to go. I'm sorry I still don't understand the reasoning that goes behind hopping up a 4 door sedan luxury vehicle and changing it into a corvette or challenger type use vehicle. Not only is it a horrendous waste of time and money, it completely ruins the value of the car. It makes it look like a kids car and no one with any sense will buy it because they think it was trashed / hot rodded etc. etc. Any of the good purchases people on here brag about are good low mile "ORIGINAL" cars. The mufflers were stock and not deleted the cars looks show room floor new. That is what to strive for with your cars not messing em up. Keep up the value because someday it will end up on Craigs list and you will want the most you can get for it. Sorry but its just so disappointed seeing so many messed up cars when looking for a good one that's why I write this stuff.
Old 12-28-14, 11:55 AM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Muffler delete isn't what I call loud, unless you go WOT.

here's mine, not the best vid but give you an idea
Old 12-28-14, 12:12 PM
msweber97
Driver

yes luxury cars are supposed to be quiet and luxurious, but if someone wants a little tone their exhaust then there is nothing wrong with that everyone had their opinion on what they like. There is always a right way and wrong way of doing things and trashing their vehicle. Changing the way an exhaust sounds isnt what i consider trashing a car though
Old 12-28-14, 12:13 PM
msweber97
Driver

lchouinard i remember watching your video on youtube. i do like the way it sounds i may go with just the muffler delete for now and see how i like it if its still too much then i may add an aftermarket muffler back on.
Old 12-28-14, 12:17 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Now, I've seen everything.. LOL.. an LS that sounds like Impala SS.. though it sounds good, it doesn't "fit the image of Luxury cars" especially the caliber of "LS's".. Its wrong on so many levels but "to each their own."
Old 12-28-14, 12:54 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

LOL you guys crack me up, a car can be luxurious a fun to drive too, Ill be 85 later in my life...

here's some other more recent "luxury" cars

What was your point?
Old 12-28-14, 01:21 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

hahaha, you trying to compare a Ultra Super niche Luxury sport (Rolls coupe & Bently GT) to a Premium Luxury Sedan.. This is Oranges and Apples.

However, I do have a V8 powered GS with Borla exhaust, but GS's were made to be performance/luxury sedans with more emphasis on performance. But, my point is Cars like LS's are so refined, having an open exhaust just seems out of place. Imagine meeting your friends at the country club and cranking an LS's thant sounds like a Big Block El Camino.. thats my point.. you can do anything you want, it just don't feel right.. But on an AMG Mercedes or a Bentley coupe where its inherent (Stock) image is to do a such thing like sounds like a rocket-ship.. LoL
Old 12-28-14, 01:40 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish one of you guys was closer to me. The previous owner of my 97 LS400 thought it was a good idea to cut off the OEM exhaust and put in a 3" exhaust with glass packs and flowmasters. Sounds like a throaty pickup truck.....

Worst part of it all is that he saw fit to punch out the catalytic converters.... Not my idea of what a LS400 should sound like so I'm trying to go back to stock without breaking the bank.

Anyone in WA or OR want an exhaust system swap?
Old 12-28-14, 04:05 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ejthomp
I wish one of you guys was closer to me. The previous owner of my 97 LS400 thought it was a good idea to cut off the OEM exhaust and put in a 3" exhaust with glass packs and flowmasters. Sounds like a throaty pickup truck.....

Worst part of it all is that he saw fit to punch out the catalytic converters.... Not my idea of what a LS400 should sound like so I'm trying to go back to stock without breaking the bank.

Anyone in WA or OR want an exhaust system swap?
Key word. BREAKING THE BANK, the kids that wreck the factory original what ever on these cars just have no idea how much those parts or what ever they just ruined cost to replace. Exhaust is one of them. And in states like California you can not use any kind of after market replacement as far as I understand. So you are stuck paying top dollar for the exhaust parts. If you have to modify the exhaust drop the original out and put the junk in and play. Just don't ever sell the car or keep the factory stuff for the next guy or gal.

Quick Reply: cheapest way for better sounding exhaust