LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Clicking noise from front of vehicle

Old 12-27-14, 05:44 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clicking noise from front of vehicle

Hi guys! Hopefully this hasn't been answered yet, I've tried searching on this forums but I still haven't found an answer.

Recently I purchased myself a 1996 LS400 with 224k miles.

During the initial test drive, I did not notice any strange vibrations or noises coming from the vehicle (perhaps this was due to me not being so used to the vehicle being so quiet? Coming from a 1997 Prelude that had little to no sound insulation). However, a day or so after purchase I started to notice a clicking sound coming from what seems like the front of the vehicle. The clicking gets faster as the speed goes up (almost like there's a rock stuck in the tread of the tire). I took all tires off the vehicle and took a look at the tread today and there were no rocks.

I've read some things about bushing, strut rod bushings, or maybe the EGR valve. The thing that has me stumped is the fact that I'm actually feeling the 'click' through the steering wheel further leading me to believe that it's coming from the wheels/hubs.

If there's any known issue for this I would greatly appreciate any input/feedback.

Here is a recording of said sound, it's very quiet but you can hear it if you listen closely/turn the volume up.

https://soundcloud.com/katsu-ito/ls400-clicking
Old 12-27-14, 07:27 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If it is vehicle speed related it could be anything from a wheel bearing to an ABS sensor rubbing on the tone ring, or even a bent backing plate rubbing on the brake rotor. So remove tires and look around, try turning things by hand and reproducing the noise.
Old 12-27-14, 09:26 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Sounds good, I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-14, 05:04 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Here's an update - Jacked the front of the vehicle off the ground, played with both front wheels and there was no play. Spun both wheels around and no odd noises. Slight grinding/friction noise but I'm guessing that was either the brakes or sign of age from wheel bearings.

Jacked rear of the car, put in neutral, spun left side wheel and I immediately heard a clicking/clanking/knocking-type of noise coming from what sounds like the rear differential. I'll have to do some research on this...
Old 12-28-14, 08:57 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

If the noise is from the diff, drain the oil and see how it looks and if any metal comes out.
Old 12-29-14, 05:12 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
If the noise is from the diff, drain the oil and see how it looks and if any metal comes out.
I'll try and change the fluid sometime this week. However, here's a video showing the noise that I'm hearing... I'm almost certain that it's the noise I'm hearing inside the vehicle as well since it got faster and slower depending on how much gas the car was given.

Old 12-29-14, 11:04 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocchan
I'll try and change the fluid sometime this week. However, here's a video showing the noise that I'm hearing... I'm almost certain that it's the noise I'm hearing inside the vehicle as well since it got faster and slower depending on how much gas the car was given.

20141229 182703 - YouTube
I'm having the same issues, the clicking only occurs when the car is in gear and I'm driving off, it smooths out or goes away after I hit 3rd and 4th gears. No clicking at all when the car is in neutral, even at higher rpms. A mystery for sure, I thought it was the front rt bearing at first, but my alignment spec. says the bearings are fine. I haven't jacked up the rear yet, but this has me stumped also because the sound seems to be coming from the rt front. Please let me know what you find out, I probably won't get to mine until Spring (warmer weather:-)
Old 12-30-14, 03:50 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

The issue I'm having is that this clicking is persistent throughout all the gears. It gets hard to notice after 50MPH or so due to the road/wind noise but it's still audible.

Taking my car into my local mechanic tomorrow so I'll definitely keep this thread updated.
Old 01-05-15, 01:28 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocchan
The issue I'm having is that this clicking is persistent throughout all the gears. It gets hard to notice after 50MPH or so due to the road/wind noise but it's still audible.

Taking my car into my local mechanic tomorrow so I'll definitely keep this thread updated.
Is the sound present while in neutral? How about in neutral at higher rpms? As I've mentioned, there is no clicking sound while in neutral, even at higher rpms. If this is the case, I think you can safely say it's not coming from the engine or exhaust imo.
Old 01-05-15, 10:09 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
Is the sound present while in neutral? How about in neutral at higher rpms? As I've mentioned, there is no clicking sound while in neutral, even at higher rpms. If this is the case, I think you can safely say it's not coming from the engine or exhaust imo.
Due to time restraints, I haven't been able to take my car into the mechanic as I was originally planning.

With that said, there aren't any clicking noises while the car is in neutral/park at idle or higher RPMs. It's only present while the vehicle is in motion and is most noticeable around 15-20 MPH after letting off the accelerator. Noise is still there at higher speeds but obviously not as noticeable due to other noises in the cabin.

I basically ruled out any engine or exhaust noises due to what I just said...It's just a small annoyance now. I took my wheel off and noticed that the rotors didn't have screws so I went and bought screws for the rotors hoping that (maybe) it was the cause. It wasn't but it was $1 so I can't complain much

I saw another thread about rear hub grinding noise and about how it was coming from the dust shield. I looked at the dust shield to see if it was making contact with the rotor but with no luck; it wasn't touch anything.
Old 01-06-15, 02:43 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Wow, kinda scary. I would not just use jacks for that, if they let down the car would take off. It could be a U joint cv or otherwise making the noise. A bearing ? If it was me I would remove the tires (so not to get hurt by them etc), and block it up or jack stands, and be very careful not to get wound up in it and use a mechanics stethoscope and listen at various points near the rotating members. You can get the stethoscope at almost any auto parts store or harbor freight. It would get you close to the noise. Its probably best to have it up on a lift, much safer than trying to crawl under it. But I think you would still want the suspension arms loaded like they would be while driving it.
Old 01-06-15, 03:02 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Yeah, that wasnt the best of ideas, had jack stands in case the jack failed but still an obvious risk.

Decided to take both wheels off and put on stands today -found out the noise is coming from the right hub assembly. I'll post a video later, I think it's a wheel bearing. No play in the wheels which I find odd, noise isn't as noticeable while under braking - will take into mechanic to get a professional opinion asap.
Old 01-06-15, 08:11 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Brake pad indicator. Your brake pads may be worn and need changing
Old 01-07-15, 12:00 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hows the parking brake look?
Old 01-07-15, 05:22 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Brake pads seemed to look fine the last time I went and checked, lots of material left on all four corners on each pad.

Will I have to take apart the entire assembly to check my parking brake? I remember seeing a write-up about it on this forums so if that is the case, I may check that whenever possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking noise from front of vehicle