LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'98 Lexus LS400 issues - sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-14, 08:40 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Lexus LS400 issues - sputtering

Just recently bought a 1998 Lexus LS400 from my uncle at 238,xxx miles (has been passed down and taken good care of by family). Three days ago I was driving home on the interstate with cruise control going about 70 mph (full tank of gas) when the car started to sort of sputter. By sputter, I mean I felt the car jolt forward abruptly, and then feel as if it was slowing down. It kept doing this even out of cruise. Eventually, my RPMS read under 2,000 and I began to lose speed on the interstate. I had to push the pedal all the way to the floor to get any acceleration, this lasted for a few prompt minutes before it no longer worked, and I just consistently lost speed until I was able to pull over to the side of the road. In doing so, I was unable to accelerate anymore. I shut off the car, and restarted it, battery light came on. I was able to take off and make it to my subdivison before it did the same thing, except this time turning over but not starting back up. I tried several times, and the battery never did die. Two days later I try to start it to load it up on a trailer, and it starts fine. I take it to a guy who knows a bit more about cars than I do, and he has it sit and idle for 2-3 hours. The car doesn't shut down. He suggested the possibility of water getting into the gas tank, or possibly needing to replace the fuel pump and/or filter. I drove it back home, and it began doing the same things on the interstate, now it is dead again.

So I am completely oblivious when it comes to the subject of cars, does anyone happen to have any speculation or insight, perhaps guidance on what I should be looking at?

Car also has an engine light, I tried to check it out and it didn't come up with a code. I'm going to go back out in the morning and try to get it started, I was suggested by an ex Toyota/Lexus mechanic to buy the chemical by HEET to remove water from the gas and put it in.

Last edited by RA40; 12-27-14 at 11:38 AM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 12-26-14, 09:37 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

The check engine light should give you a code. Are you saying that you can't pull the code? Autozone does this for free.
Old 12-26-14, 09:40 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

I used a device that my uncle owns to try and pull a code, but it didn't give me one. Apparently the check engine light has been on for a while, tomorrow morning I will take it autozone and get the code checked as well.
Old 12-26-14, 09:43 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

The code will always give you an indication of what's going on with the car. Come back and post the info and I'm pretty sure you will get this straightened out with our help.
Old 12-27-14, 05:57 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

yep, get the code, someone has had it before you, and can help or at least point you in the right direction... OH, Welcome to the club also... the staff here is great..

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)
Old 12-27-14, 06:20 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

If you have all the repair records, check to see if the throttle position sensor (TPS) and/or the pedal position sensor (PPS) has ever been replaced.

I posted instructions on how to test these components at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...rror-code.html

By all means, don't throw parts and HEET at this problem. Check for problem codes and test the components that the codes point to.
Old 12-27-14, 08:25 AM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

The codes are p0171 and p0420, ill figure out if said things were replaced.
Old 12-27-14, 12:58 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

p0420
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420
Maybe be a bad O2 sensor

p0171
I had this code recently and it had something to do with the fuel trims being rich/lean bank 1. This could be an O2 sensor not reading correctly also. Mine cleared up after I cleaned the MAF sensor and ran a couple of treatments of fuel system cleaner.
Old 12-27-14, 03:19 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

From what I understand this engine light isn't necessarily new, well at least the emissions one isn't new. What kind of additives would you suggest for fuel system cleaning?

Also, thanks to whoever helped clarify the threat title!
Old 12-28-14, 03:43 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I used Chevron Techron and it worked great.
Old 12-28-14, 04:14 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And what are your fuel trims doing? And what are the O2 voltages doing?
Old 12-29-14, 06:00 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

It's ran well for a day now, I used the Chevron stuff in it, hasn't stalled on me yet. The engine light is obviously still there, but now I have a few other questions that perhaps you guys could help me out with (I'm an absolute novice so please take it easy on me).

I've done a considerate amount of research on this vehicle in terms of the stereo system, and I can confirm that it is a Nak system. I would like to integrate aux functions into the stereo without having to completely replace the head unit or without sending it to that company in California to have them modify it, and I have never soldered or messed with wires before. I'm kinda on a time crunch because I am a college student and I only have about a week on my hands to mess around with this before I have to get back to the grind. I need an inexpensive way to make this happen. So far I have considered my options and deem the quickest way is to take out the 6 disc cd changer and splice the wires. However, I am in need of a wiring diagram and I'd rather not pay to use it from some external site. Can anyone walk me through this process? From what I have read I need to get an RCA adapter, splice the L & R+ wires, and then splice the RCA cables and connect them somehow, but how exactly do I do this?

Another one, I have the primary key w/ remote for the Lexus, it is original. Apparently it stopped working a while back, today I changed the battery on it and the light started working on the key. However, none of the buttons work with the car. I've tried the programming myself using several websites, but they all seem to differ and I can't seem to get it to work for the life of me. Should I be adding, rewriting it, deleting it, or what? The most responsive it became was my first couple of trials in programming mode, I made it to the point where I needed to press and hold a button on my transmitter, but the car locked and unlocked itself twice (apparently meaning the programming has failed).

As I said, I am an absolute novice here, any help would be greatly appreciated and I have done hours of researching but have come up with mostly negative results and confusion, thanks!
Old 12-29-14, 06:11 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

99% of the time 420 codes equals new cat.
do you have and misfireS
system too rich might be sending unburned fuel down the tailpipe that will destroy a cat if left untreated.
i would find the cause of the rich code first and then the cat. either way looks like your getting a new cat. i wouldnt go aftermarket with the cat. majority of the time they last around 2 years for states that salt roads.
Old 12-31-14, 03:38 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joncurry94
It's ran well for a day now, I used the Chevron stuff in it, hasn't stalled on me yet. The engine light is obviously still there, but now I have a few other questions that perhaps you guys could help me out with (I'm an absolute novice so please take it easy on me).

I've done a considerate amount of research on this vehicle in terms of the stereo system, and I can confirm that it is a Nak system. I would like to integrate aux functions into the stereo without having to completely replace the head unit or without sending it to that company in California to have them modify it, and I have never soldered or messed with wires before. I'm kinda on a time crunch because I am a college student and I only have about a week on my hands to mess around with this before I have to get back to the grind. I need an inexpensive way to make this happen. So far I have considered my options and deem the quickest way is to take out the 6 disc cd changer and splice the wires. However, I am in need of a wiring diagram and I'd rather not pay to use it from some external site. Can anyone walk me through this process? From what I have read I need to get an RCA adapter, splice the L & R+ wires, and then splice the RCA cables and connect them somehow, but how exactly do I do this?

Another one, I have the primary key w/ remote for the Lexus, it is original. Apparently it stopped working a while back, today I changed the battery on it and the light started working on the key. However, none of the buttons work with the car. I've tried the programming myself using several websites, but they all seem to differ and I can't seem to get it to work for the life of me. Should I be adding, rewriting it, deleting it, or what? The most responsive it became was my first couple of trials in programming mode, I made it to the point where I needed to press and hold a button on my transmitter, but the car locked and unlocked itself twice (apparently meaning the programming has failed).

As I said, I am an absolute novice here, any help would be greatly appreciated and I have done hours of researching but have come up with mostly negative results and confusion, thanks!
I have no ideal about the cd. Have you tried Puredrifters aux mod? As far as the key is concerned you might have to pick up a cheap ebay fob and program it with that original key. You should not have to reprogram the original key, If the buttons are not working then either you have an issue with the door actuators or the buttons just don't work anymore. I think member billyd just had this issue and ended up buying a new one. That key does start the car right?
Old 01-01-15, 05:48 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late replies, work has had me overwhelmed.

Yes, the key starts the car, and I can use it to unlock the doors manually.

I was just told yesterday that my uncles wife hit a deer a few years ago, and the deer ended up hitting the trunk, and ever since that accident the keyless hasn't worked. He took it to a toyota dealer that he knew, who didn't actually look at it but mentioned something about an antenna in a trunk possibly being it. I tried programming it a few times, all to no avail. I don't think it's an issue on the key-end of things.

As for the cd and audio, I had a fellow electrician help me out, we wired it and used the cd hack, now I am going to run it into my center console, buy a bluetooth receiver to plug into the cigarette outlet and stream from there!

I had an exceptionally HARD time figuring this out! You don't need to solder, you don't need to send it to California, and it can be done cheaply in the matter of 30 minutes. If anyone needs the instructions on how to do this, please contact me!

Engine light 0763 - Ideas? I am extremely incompetent. Is it worth taking it to someone to have it checked out?

Quick Reply: '98 Lexus LS400 issues - sputtering