LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

timing mark confirmation

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 08:15 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default timing mark confirmation

I'm doing the timing belt and water pump on a 96 lexus ls400 and in the process of putting everything back together. Can someone confirm the marking alignment I got shown below are correct before I pull the pin to release the tension. Also another question is on the idler number 1, where the tensioner pushes on it, does it suppose to be able to move freely when touch by hand? I have torque to specs (25lbs) but it is on tight and can't move freely when I touch it by hand. The old one I was able to move freely by just touching it. Now if I loosen the Allen bolt to where it move freely then the bolt is too loose. Thanks in advance guys

Right cam (passenger)

Left cam (driver)

Old 12-21-14, 05:41 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi SynicalVip, Yes, it looks correct but I cannot verify that last picture. As long as the LH cam is aligned with the extrusion mark as in the RH, then you are good.
Now, as concerns idler #1, I believe that there is a washer that goes between the block and the pulley. Did you put that back in? Some forget to do that and you might get binding without it.
Old 12-21-14, 08:27 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by randal
Hi SynicalVip, Yes, it looks correct but I cannot verify that last picture. As long as the LH cam is aligned with the extrusion mark as in the RH, then you are good.
Now, as concerns idler #1, I believe that there is a washer that goes between the block and the pulley. Did you put that back in? Some forget to do that and you might get binding without it.

Thanks for the reply, the LH cam marking is towards the back unlike the RH cam where it is in the front. I line them both up as close as I can get with CR at 0. As for the idler, yes there is a washer, even with it on etc it wasn't moving. Release the tensioner and it didn't push it, so loosen the idler a little until the tension was able to push it then I torque it back to specs. Now the belt is nice and tight
Old 12-21-14, 08:54 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the last pic driver side cam a pic from the side not top would be helpful
. like the pic of the passenger side cam
Old 12-21-14, 09:07 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brybo86
For the last pic driver side cam a pic from the side not top would be helpful
. like the pic of the passenger side cam
That the side that I stated above there no mark in the front side of the cams that is why I took from top view cause the mark is on the back
Old 12-22-14, 08:09 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

There is a small nick on the backside of the cam.
Old 12-22-14, 06:13 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sha4000
There is a small nick on the backside of the cam.
Yes, which I took a pic from top view
Old 12-23-14, 05:41 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
Yes, which I took a pic from top view
Looks good. Did you rotate the crank two revs and recheck for proper alignment?
Old 12-23-14, 09:00 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Looks good. Did you rotate the crank two revs and recheck for proper alignment?
Yes I have rotate it several times as well making sure it is not hitting anything or getting stuck. All the times I rotate it, it goes around without no problem
Old 12-24-14, 10:21 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
Yes I have rotate it several times as well making sure it is not hitting anything or getting stuck. All the times I rotate it, it goes around without no problem
Sounds like you are good to go then. Fire that puppy up and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-25-14, 08:36 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Okay bad news, got everything out back on and started to pour in coolant fluid and it started leaking so didn't even get a chance to fire it up! Took it all apart again, now the paper like gasket on the water pump is no good, along with the gasket on the thermostat. Now does it require to use the gasket or some FIPG is all I would need or some high temp atv Wil do?
Old 12-25-14, 09:45 AM
randal
Lead Lap

When I did my TB/WB a fews years ago, I also had a coolant leak and was initially horrified, imagining the worst case...water pump gasket. However, I traced it to a hose clamp and put on a worn-gear clamp instead. Simple fix.

So, did you locate the source of the leak or just tear everything down believing that it was the pump?
Old 12-25-14, 10:04 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

When I did my TB/WB a fews years ago, I also had a coolant leak and was initially horrified, imagining the worst case...water pump gasket. However, I traced it to a hose clamp and put on a worn-gear clamp instead. Simple fix.

So, did you locate the source of the leak or just tear everything down believing that it was the pump?

From what I can see, it was leaking right behind the plastic cover on the crank pulley. And only thing behind that is the pump and the idlers. All hose was checked several times as I do with everything else as well just to be that sure of it that everything is on correctly. So I have taken all apart already, but now need a gasket for the water pump and thermostat housing. The one it came with that kit was just paper like gasket and not metal. Would just putting high temp atv hold up? Can't seem to find the metal gasket at local part store.
Old 12-25-14, 10:43 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

If your in a hurry you can use FIPG. Just make sure you apply an even bead uniformly across the pump and just snug fit the bolts/nuts. Let it sit for about an hour before you torque them up. You should be able to find a thermostat gasket at any parts store. Now if it was me I would go to the dealer and pay the Lexus tax for a metal gasket so I would not have to deal with the messy FIPG.
Old 12-25-14, 10:48 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sha4000
If your in a hurry you can use FIPG. Just make sure you apply an even bead uniformly across the pump and just snug fit the bolts/nuts. Let it sit for about an hour before you torque them up. You should be able to find a thermostat gasket at any parts store. Now if it was me I would go to the dealer and pay the Lexus tax for a metal gasket so I would not have to deal with the messy FIPG.
Thing is I have taken this car apart way too many times already and it's one thing after another with these non oem brand timing belt kit lol. Now if I get the metal gasket, I won't need to put any ATV stuff anymore or will I still need to?

Quick Reply: timing mark confirmation