LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

suspension diagonosis/symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 04:39 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by bdruff
... something I am sure is related is a pull to the left when I apply the brake.

It is just the initial braking, it will pull to the left when the brake is first applied and then pull back to the right when I release the brake.

If I hold the wheel and step on the brakes, keeping it straight, I can then let go of the wheel and it will track straight. That makes me think it's not the brakes but a suspension issue.

Still trying to track down where it is.

I know the brakes were recently serviced and caliper replaced on the drivers side.
I had a recent possibly related experience on my '91.

I ended up finally finding a failed UCA bushing - the rear bushing on the front right UCA. To find it, I jacked the car up with the wheels still on, but off the ground. Then by hitting the tires hard with my hand and listening/feeling for different types of vibrations, I found that my left side was solid, but the right side had a little ring to it. I then traced it more carefully and could tell that that failed bushing was allowing some vibration when hitting it.

I had done the more commonly instructed push/pull sorts of testing for looseness for many years and never found it.

I had always had a constant pull to the right that could not be corrected by multiple alignments. Now that I know the answer, it makes perfect sense. The wheels were properly aligned. Then, as soon as I start driving, the slight drag force on the right front wheel (just from rolling - no change when applying the brakes) would allow that rear UCA bushing to shift inward, allowing the right wheel to point just a little outward, to the right. So I had a _constant_ steering wheel angle to the left to correct this. The angle did not change with speed, since the bushing shift was all or nothing.

I replaced the failed UCA a week or so ago (Raybestos, fit perfectly and visually looked just like OE), and it completely fixed my drift to the right problem.

Over the years, I have also replaced the front lower ball joints (common repair on my years), strut rod bushings, struts, strut mounts, and other strut stuff.

Funny that the PO recently replaced the caliper - exactly the same sort of thing I did while chasing this - I actually rebuilt all calipers and the master cylinder while I was thinking the brake was dragging. I'm glad I gave up before replacing wheel bearings.

Since your problem starts only when you apply the brake, I'll guess it's a little different than mine, and not as bad. Mine would happen just by driving.

I don't know much about the specifics for the '96 - I know the strut rod/bar is different from mine though. The UCA's are kind of the same between the two generations. OE has different part numbers. But the Raybestos part I used successfully says it works for 90-00. So I don't want to give too much specific advice because it could be a little different. But it sounds like from the good questions you're asking and the good help you're getting, you'll probably be able to do a better job than the tire shop would.

Last edited by oldskewel; 02-06-15 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 04:58 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by bdruff
... Les Schwab tire center. ... estimate is for a new control arm assembly. They said it was a ball joint (I think i know which one they are talking about) but that after paying for labor for pressing out bushings, I may as well just replace the arm with new bushings installed.

parts were not oem and most likely poly. He said he could get one from the dealer and give me the same price as he got it for if i wanted.

estimate: control arm assembly $238.42

Remove and install $45

Alignment front and back

Total out the door $386.53

Thoughts?

I have tools and can probably get the pressing done for cheaper than what they would charge.

$45 seems pretty good for total labor but if i could get the whole job done for around $200 by doing it myself, id probably do that.

anybody with experience?
Assuming they're talking about the upper control arm shown clearly in your photos = one ball joint and two bushings. The bushings on those UCAs are not sold by Lexus, but you can get pretty solid looking equivalents for around $10-$12 each (eBay, at least) if you're willing to press out / press in. The ball joints, however are not replaceable.

Quality aftermarket UCAs can now be found for ~$120. My Raybestos was great, but search on here for other good options. At the high mileage our cars are at, and at this price, it probably makes sense to just replace the whole UCA. Some I'm sure will insist on doing both sides if you do one (nice that the tire shop did not try to talk you into that), but I did not and mine is fine.

That quote does look very fair, but I think you should be able to buy the whole UCA and do it yourself. I would not even count on needing an alignment. I did not.
Old 02-06-15, 04:58 PM
bdruff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a great write up here on replacing just the ball joint. The local dealer had it for a good price and I ordered it. Should be here Monday. I also read an alignment might not be totally necessary but I might do one anyway because I just did the strut bar and the car has new tires.

I'll post if it fixes it. I hate unresolved threads. Thanks everybody
Old 02-09-15, 06:18 AM
bdruff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Assuming they're talking about the upper control arm shown clearly in your photos = one ball joint and two bushings. The bushings on those UCAs are not sold by Lexus, but you can get pretty solid looking equivalents for around $10-$12 each (eBay, at least) if you're willing to press out / press in. The ball joints, however are not replaceable.

Quality aftermarket UCAs can now be found for ~$120. My Raybestos was great, but search on here for other good options. At the high mileage our cars are at, and at this price, it probably makes sense to just replace the whole UCA. Some I'm sure will insist on doing both sides if you do one (nice that the tire shop did not try to talk you into that), but I did not and mine is fine.

That quote does look very fair, but I think you should be able to buy the whole UCA and do it yourself. I would not even count on needing an alignment. I did not.
The quote was for the lower control arm. He didn't point it out to me so there is a chance he was talking about the UCA. He talked about over $100 in pressing out bushings but said several times "lower control arm" at first he suspected lower control arm bushings but then said he was sure it was the ball joint on the lower control arm.
Old 03-16-15, 11:54 AM
bdruff
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem solved

So I bought the Lower control arm with the ball joint from Lexus here in town. Then I let it sit in the trunk for the last month. The noise came and went but mostly, it was quiet. I knew I needed to change it but yesterday, it was loud and I had time.

I followed this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ll-joints.html

Super easy. I was able to rent (free if I returned it) from an autoparts store. I tried to do it with a pully-puller but it kept slipping. the tie rod puller made quick work of it.

There is a large bolt directly under the ball joint. In the thread it is referred to as a 27mm. Mine was 24mm.

Torqued down and good as new. No noise, no pulling to the left when I brake or to the right when I release the brakes. Even feels a little tighter.

Pretty happy now.