LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

For sale in FL with almost 900k on the odometer?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 10:21 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Cool story.
Interesting item from that linked page above, by the new owner:
"A quick note on the LS’s 1UZ-FE V8 engine: The 4.0L V8 has a six-bolt main and is the only automotive engine of the era to be FAA rated. That means it’s so durable, the Federal Aviation Administration says you can stick one in an airplane, no problem."
Old 12-08-14, 03:16 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Cool story.
Interesting item from that linked page above, by the new owner:
"A quick note on the LS’s 1UZ-FE V8 engine: The 4.0L V8 has a six-bolt main and is the only automotive engine of the era to be FAA rated. That means it’s so durable, the Federal Aviation Administration says you can stick one in an airplane, no problem."
hmm still questionable but am now curious to see its plausibility.
Old 12-09-14, 05:14 AM
900kLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mappo
From your pic I see it needs new hood struts too. They're about $40 on ebay and pop right in.
Yep, needs those too... Wasn't sure it was worth mentioning...
Old 12-09-14, 05:16 AM
900kLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
hmm still questionable but am now curious to see its plausibility.
What is questionable? The mileage? or the FAA quote?
Old 12-09-14, 10:17 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to know the source of the FAA statement quoted above. I rather doubt that it is true.
The FAA would not care about the 6-bolt mains, but would insist on a dual ignition system to grant an STC.
Old 12-09-14, 11:56 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

http://www.epicmarine.com/forum4/ind...pic=289.0;wap2

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...project-35305/

apparently there is truth to the FAA statement, although the engine that was designed to be in aircraft would have been slightly more expensive to make... quite a lot more in fact...
Old 12-10-14, 11:02 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, Strook - Thanks very much for the references. I had heard this statement several times before, but nobody had given any sources.
Old 12-12-14, 04:01 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 900kLS400
What is questionable? The mileage? or the FAA quote?
the FAA part. we all know the 1UZ is solid enough for 1M miles .

looks like it is plausible, thank you for the sources!
Old 12-23-14, 09:10 AM
900kLS400
Driver School Candidate

Default Made it to LA

Hey Guys-
Matt Farah here. I'm the new, proud owner of the 900k mile LS400, which now shows a true 900,390 miles on the ODO, rather than 897,000 miles when I bought it. My friend Vinny, who picked up and sorted the car started this account, and I'm taking it over.

The Lexus made it from Tampa to LA in 4 days with zero mechanical issues at all. It cruised at 85-90 mph effortlessly, making 22 mpg and acting just as couch-like as when it was new. There are no squeaks or rattles, and the interior is just as incredible in person as it was in the original photos, with the exception of the door speaker covers, which need to be hot-glued back on.

The point of all this is not just to have a 900k mile Lexus, it's to make a movie about the journey to get the car to a million miles. (It will be All Cars Go to Heaven 3, for those who have seen our first movie). Because it was my first car, and because it's such an interesting example, I feel we owe it to the car to get it to a million, and then provide an "afterlife" once it rolls over.

So, I'm addressing a few issues that popped up along the way as I write this, such as replacing a joint in the steering column that was causing some slop, repairing the transmission kick-down function, fixing the cruise control, which worked when we left florida but stopped working somewhere in New Mexico, and the HVAC, which blows hot and cold, but only from the center 2 vents or the floor and at what seems like 1/4 power. Easy stuff, and nothing that would keep me from getting in the car and driving right back to florida right now.

Anyway, I keep hearing Club Lexus is the best place to talk about this stuff, so if any representative of the club would like to review my LS, take it on a road trip, or has a fun idea to put miles on it and be a part of the film, I'm all ears. The car is really impressive for its age, and it's going to be a really fun film.

Cheers
MF
Old 12-23-14, 12:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by 900kLS400
Hey Guys-
Matt Farah here. I'm the new, proud owner of the 900k mile LS400, which now shows a true 900,390 miles on the ODO, rather than 897,000 miles when I bought it. My friend Vinny, who picked up and sorted the car started this account, and I'm taking it over.

The Lexus made it from Tampa to LA in 4 days with zero mechanical issues at all. It cruised at 85-90 mph effortlessly, making 22 mpg and acting just as couch-like as when it was new. There are no squeaks or rattles, and the interior is just as incredible in person as it was in the original photos, with the exception of the door speaker covers, which need to be hot-glued back on.

The point of all this is not just to have a 900k mile Lexus, it's to make a movie about the journey to get the car to a million miles. (It will be All Cars Go to Heaven 3, for those who have seen our first movie). Because it was my first car, and because it's such an interesting example, I feel we owe it to the car to get it to a million, and then provide an "afterlife" once it rolls over.

So, I'm addressing a few issues that popped up along the way as I write this, such as replacing a joint in the steering column that was causing some slop, repairing the transmission kick-down function, fixing the cruise control, which worked when we left florida but stopped working somewhere in New Mexico, and the HVAC, which blows hot and cold, but only from the center 2 vents or the floor and at what seems like 1/4 power. Easy stuff, and nothing that would keep me from getting in the car and driving right back to florida right now.

Anyway, I keep hearing Club Lexus is the best place to talk about this stuff, so if any representative of the club would like to review my LS, take it on a road trip, or has a fun idea to put miles on it and be a part of the film, I'm all ears. The car is really impressive for its age, and it's going to be a really fun film.

Cheers
MF
Welcome Matt, big fan of your work!

I'll have to go out over the holidays and check out the earlier "All Cars..." videos to get an idea of how you've pulled them together in the past. I'm sure we'll have some great ideas come up and we'll get you some exposure to the broader community to chip in as well as this progresses.

One idea I've always been fascinated in was the old school AAA "Triptik" flip map guide books my family used to get when I was a kid. Last one I remember getting was right around the time of the build of this car; I was driving across country from VA to NV and still have some regrets about not stopping at some of the sites of interest that were noted outside of our aggressive 2 day drive schedule. My buddy and I still talk about wanting to go back and see the 'Barbed Wire Museum' some day.

Everybody stops at the familiar Grand Canyon or Yosemite spots, go for the more obscure interesting places and then combine it with local food and drink. That LS certainly has it's fair share of french fries under the seats... look for the local specialties and eat 'em in the car Apologies if this is the sort of stuff you already have done.

Maybe try to end up at the Toyota Museum as you clip the 1,000,000 mark
http://www.toyotausamuseum.com/

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-23-14 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 01:57 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Wow I'll def be following this thread. If I was closer I'd take it on a couple of runs to help drive that mileage up and be in the film of course.