LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to keep Original Sub when adding a New Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 01:14 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever a comprehensive how-to is compiled it HAS to be put into the faq.. This is one of the most asked questions with one of the most complicated and misunderstood "solutions" if that's what you can call it.
Old 11-19-14, 02:53 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

a good start is here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...em-diagram.pdf

Originally Posted by bornking
I also have my nak amp and sub working with an aftermarket deck.
Check my posts you will see where I had issues and how I solved them.

Cheers!
this thread, though it's still vague as to what was done to make it work since you had it sent out to get wired by another party, and the installer wasn't completely right (since he installed the illum wire which killed the sub function).
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...onversion.html
Old 11-19-14, 06:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

without spoofing the digital signal required by the amp I don't see how this is going to work.

That being said, no reason someone can't clamp an oscilliscope on the data cables and figure out the signals needed to turn the amp on/off/maintain.
Old 08-15-15, 01:53 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
I must admit this is true even though Kansas is vehement that It can be done. I changed out my amp when I changed the head unit but it would be nice to see some type of tutorial since this is one of the most asked questions.
Did you or anyone else capture this in a thread? I am about to do the same thing since the SLA-22 did not work out. Btw, on a pioneer system, do ALL the speakers run through the amp under the pass. seat or is it just the sub? Thanks.
Old 08-15-15, 11:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

all speakers.
Old 08-17-15, 07:37 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
all speakers.
Thanks PD. Kinda answered my own question last night when I pulled up the seat and saw all the wires coming off the amp. Luckily, Yamae and aptoslexus provided me with wiring schematics on my OP so I'm gonna have a go at it. Funny, when I first bought this LS I thought it was "really cool" that it had the factory Navi - not considering how difficult it would be to upgrade the system later on. My biggest fear at this point is cutting off OE connectors...once you do that there's no turning back, right?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...got-to-go.html
Attached Thumbnails How to keep Original Sub when adding a New Head Unit-imag1524.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 08-17-15 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 01:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

You could de-pin the connectors and try to re-pin into a non-nav, but no, wires can always be repaired.
Old 08-18-15, 10:41 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
The bundle of wires from the aftermarket Kenwood head unit were plugged into the OEM connector leading to the Nakamichi amp under the front passenger seat. The Best Buy installer installed a pin adapter on each wire from the Kenwood and inserted the pins into the appropriate slots in the OEM connector to led to the Nak amp. No "module boxes" or other magic boxes were used although a friend guessed that the pin adapters contained resisters. It looked like a tedious process and the installer wore the kind of lighted magnifying glasses that dentists use. I watched the pin adapters being installed on the workbench from the customer waiting area so I did not get a good look at them.

I popped the Kenwood out of the dash part way after the install so I could extend the USB and aux-in cables to the upper console tray but I did not unwrap the tape that was hiding the connections - didn't want to mess up a good thing since everything including the subwoofer was working perfectly.

Since no wires were cut, the original Nakamichi head unit could have been reinstalled quickly. If fact, that was part of the price - removing the Kenwood and reinstalling the Nak head unit in case I wanted to move the Kenwood to a different vehicle.

I have assumed that the pin adapters are a standard part that Best Buy installers use but I can't guarantee that. As I said in my thread about the Kenwood install, the Best Buy installer was a "mature" (40 something?) Lexus owner who talked about the aftermarket audio/video system he had installed in his LS430 and who seemed especially interested in taking on my project.
How freakin' lucky was this, Kansas? An experienced installer who just happens to be an LS owner...working at Best Buy? You should play the lottery with those odds. BB is the LAST place I would go to buy electronics...never mind letting them install a system in my car! No, I'll fiddle around with mine a bit more and if I can't figure it out I already have an installer in mind. Like you, I would rather do this without cutting wires so even if I bring it to the shop, I'm going to have them leave the new HU partly exposed (by not reinstalling the climate controller) so that I can see their work.
Old 08-19-15, 07:00 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Seems as though an aftermarket amp(s) can be installed in the middle of the in/out speaker and sub wires, no? You'd just have to ID the wires by color combo.

Or, is that too simple a solution?

There are some nice compact amps which are powerful and clean - used on bikes and sportscars with limited room...