LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to keep Original Sub when adding a New Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 10:35 PM
RobertE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to keep Original Sub when adding a New Head Unit

I just ordered a double din nav/dvd/cd unit for my non nav 99. I ordered thru crutchfield and just noticed the part (SEE BELOW #2 from the install instruction sheet) about losing the use of the factory sub. Could someone clarify for me if this means: A) that if you don't run the wires of the adaptor to the amp under the seat that you will loose the use of the subwoofer or B) does it mean even after running the wires down to the amp you are still going to lose use of the subwoofer? If B does anyone know if there is anyway I can retain the use of the factory sub? All the speakers and sub work fine now so I didn't want to replace speakers, sub and amp if I don't have to. So any help on possibly being able to keep the stock sub (if B is what it means) and run it through the new unit would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help.

2. Connect supplied receiver wiring adaptor to
receiver following instructions supplied
with adaptor.
Note: If vehicle has factory-equipped
Pioneer system: The wires of the
adaptor must be extended and routed to
the amplifier located under the right front
passenger’s seat. The subwoofer will be
lost when the amplifier is bypassed
Old 11-18-14, 03:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please search. the only way currently to keep the factory sub and amp with an aftermarket heatunit is to purchase and use beatsonics' harness, which is ~$200-250.
Old 11-18-14, 04:53 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Yes plz search. Read this, it can be done.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8692881

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...michi-amp.html
Old 11-18-14, 10:23 AM
RobertE
Driver

Thanks PD & sha4000, I chickened out and decided to go the Beat-Sonic route. Found the SLA-22 kit that also includes the face plate at CARiD for $300 total including shipping. Again as always thanks for the help.
Old 11-18-14, 11:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by sha4000
Claimed to have been done here and there for the nak cars, but nobody's followed through on how they did it...
Old 11-18-14, 04:30 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Claimed to have been done here and there for the nak cars, but nobody's followed through on how they did it...
I must admit this is true even though Kansas is vehement that It can be done. I changed out my amp when I changed the head unit but it would be nice to see some type of tutorial since this is one of the most asked questions.
Old 11-18-14, 06:49 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

someone just needs to document it step by step, or go to Kansas' old car and take notes.
Old 11-18-14, 08:13 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this shouldn't be rocket science... Just need to find the wiring diagram for my 96 and ill test it.
Old 11-18-14, 08:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

less rocket science more electrical engineering.

It's not a simple setup, you'll end up reverse-engineering the amp.
Old 11-18-14, 08:44 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one important part to know from Kansas is if he was able to adjust the sub level from the kenwood. If yes then it's just a matter of finding the right wire for the sub signal. If not, I suspect that the signal is taken from the F and R at the amp and that you have a wire with a pot in the HU to adjust the level.

I would prefer the first possibility since it would offer more flexibility.

Ill get my HU out when it get a bit warmer and Ill see if I can trace the SUB pot on the HU to a pin in the back.

We need this resolved once and for all LOL
Old 11-18-14, 11:08 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertE
Thanks PD & sha4000, I chickened out and decided to go the Beat-Sonic route. Found the SLA-22 kit that also includes the face plate at CARiD for $300 total including shipping. Again as always thanks for the help.
please tell me you got the one with matching woodgrain
Old 11-19-14, 10:25 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

keep in mind nakamichi vs non-nak, where there will be a variance in the wiring.

also kansas had best buy install his HU, meaning best buy may have access to special installation tools and module boxes that do similar stuff to the beatsonic box (though i vaguely recall kansas mentioning he took at look at his aftermarket HU post install and found nothing but wires alone). i need to re-familiarize myself on that thread...
Old 11-19-14, 10:35 AM
RobertE
Driver

Originally Posted by mr. tetsuo
please tell me you got the one with matching woodgrain
I wish, they only had the non woodgrain available for that price. But I found a place that does wood dash trim kits that is going to make me a piece just for it. I'll post up pics when I'm done.
Old 11-19-14, 12:56 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
keep in mind nakamichi vs non-nak, where there will be a variance in the wiring.

also kansas had best buy install his HU, meaning best buy may have access to special installation tools and module boxes that do similar stuff to the beatsonic box (though i vaguely recall kansas mentioning he took at look at his aftermarket HU post install and found nothing but wires alone). i need to re-familiarize myself on that thread...
The bundle of wires from the aftermarket Kenwood head unit were plugged into the OEM connector leading to the Nakamichi amp under the front passenger seat. The Best Buy installer installed a pin adapter on each wire from the Kenwood and inserted the pins into the appropriate slots in the OEM connector to led to the Nak amp. No "module boxes" or other magic boxes were used although a friend guessed that the pin adapters contained resisters. It looked like a tedious process and the installer wore the kind of lighted magnifying glasses that dentists use. I watched the pin adapters being installed on the workbench from the customer waiting area so I did not get a good look at them.

I popped the Kenwood out of the dash part way after the install so I could extend the USB and aux-in cables to the upper console tray but I did not unwrap the tape that was hiding the connections - didn't want to mess up a good thing since everything including the subwoofer was working perfectly.

Since no wires were cut, the original Nakamichi head unit could have been reinstalled quickly. If fact, that was part of the price - removing the Kenwood and reinstalling the Nak head unit in case I wanted to move the Kenwood to a different vehicle.

I have assumed that the pin adapters are a standard part that Best Buy installers use but I can't guarantee that. As I said in my thread about the Kenwood install, the Best Buy installer was a "mature" (40 something?) Lexus owner who talked about the aftermarket audio/video system he had installed in his LS430 and who seemed especially interested in taking on my project.
Old 11-19-14, 01:09 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have my nak amp and sub working with an aftermarket deck.
Check my posts you will see where I had issues and how I solved them.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: How to keep Original Sub when adding a New Head Unit