Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

I drilled a hole right thru my climate control display

Old 11-06-14, 01:02 PM   #1
dveneman
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default I drilled a hole right thru my climate control display

I finally decided to install the Ram Mount (for smart phone) from a previous vehicle that has been just sitting on a shelf. I really missed this thing and so far do not regret the small hole that can someday be discreetly covered. Or I can buy a used replacement on Ebay.
It seems really solid and fairly well placed. I will see how I like it after living with it for a couple months.
Having the holder for the phone encourages me to use my headset and avoid tickets.
1/4" x 3" stainless bolt with tab welded onto head. Threaded end sticks out to accept 1" ball mount.
Next project is to find an inverter (with usb outlets too) that will fit nicely into the ashtray area.

This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by dveneman; 11-06-14 at 01:11 PM..
dveneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 02:30 PM   #2
RugbyDad
Driver

Since you felt so cavalier about holes in your climate control, I would have drilled a second hole and threaded a USB charger through it. Really close to the mounts' hole and either ziptied or taped the cord to the mount so it stays put. Keep the dash clean and free of wires and clutter
RugbyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 02:47 PM   #3
dveneman
Driver

I have tried that before, but the short length is really tough on the wire and makes wire replacement difficult. Plus, there are times when you need to have power with the phone out of the grip or a passenger needs power while holding their handset.
Old 11-06-14, 06:02 PM   #4
Stroock639
Rookie

why does there appear to be such a degree of variance with regard to how that center air vent assembly fits in these cars? some seem to go further back than others, yours seems to stick out quite a bit... did you happen to notice if that first became like that after you first took it out for the first time or was it always like that

"Irving" 覧⫸ 1999 LS 400 **Premium Package** w/ 18" LS 430 wheels (grandpa delete mod), JBrady intake, muffler delete, V8 badges on fenders
Stroock639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 06:29 PM   #5
timmy0tool
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via AIM to timmy0tool

wow never knew there was a void there to even do this. good job, but that looks rather large and obtrusive to me (how big is your phone?)! better that than a ticket i suppose.
Old 11-06-14, 06:53 PM   #6
Kansas
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroock639 View Post
why does there appear to be such a degree of variance with regard to how that center air vent assembly fits in these cars? some seem to go further back than others, yours seems to stick out quite a bit... did you happen to notice if that first became like that after you first took it out for the first time or was it always like that
There is no variance at all when the head unit, HVAC control and center vents are reinstalled properly - which is not the case in this installation.

I've installed numerous phone consoles and brackets, charging cradles, phone holders, hidden USB charging ports, etc. The installation shown in this thread is certainly unusual.

I would have used either a Pro.Fit VSM-G3 hidden bracket / ball mount or a Pro.Fit "Bravo ball" mounted on a modified Pro-Fit Legend bracket like I used on my 2000 LS400 - no drilling required for either.
Old 11-06-14, 07:07 PM   #7
Stroock639
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
There is no variance at all when the head unit, HVAC control and center vents are reinstalled properly - which is not the case in this installation.
can you think of anything that could be preventing it from going back all the way?

"Irving" 覧⫸ 1999 LS 400 **Premium Package** w/ 18" LS 430 wheels (grandpa delete mod), JBrady intake, muffler delete, V8 badges on fenders
Old 11-06-14, 07:12 PM   #8
Stroock639
Rookie

also Jim i must admit it makes me a little sad every time i see your signature now

Old 11-07-14, 05:00 AM   #9
Kansas
Lexus Champion

Quote:
can you think of anything that could be preventing it from going back all the way?
The HVAC control and head unit could be installed a little high on the side brackets - there is a little "wiggle room" when installing them. I removed the HVAC control and head unit from my 2000 LS many times when doing projects and once I didn't position the components on the bracket properly and my vents wouldn't snap into place flush either. It also found it necessary to press the HVAC control and head unit firmly together when installing the screws that hold them to the brackets so that there wouldn't be a crack between the two modules.

Quote:
also Jim i must admit it makes me a little sad every time i see your signature now
Thanks for that. I still drop by occasionally. I'm finding it strange that I like my Sienna van so much - taking it in today for it's 10,000 mile service. My Sienna confirms my opinion that the most satisfying vehicles are the ones that are fully loaded with every possible option.
Old 11-07-14, 06:06 AM   #10
Stroock639
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
My Sienna confirms my opinion that the most satisfying vehicles are the ones that are fully loaded with every possible option.
a very astute observation, a wise man you are (obviously, you've been a long dedicated LS 400 owner ) my exact reasoning why it's a ridiculous idea to get something like a merc CLA, a mercedes for UNDER $30,000!!!!!! which doesn't even include the most basic of luxury "essentials" such as leather, or heated seats. it's at least another $12-13k before it's something you'd actually want

i will say however i am very happy that when my grandparents bought the car new back in August of '99 (holy crap i was only 6 then) they happened to find one with the PM package which i think is the best way to go for this car. i'm happy it doesn't have the factory nav which would be ****** today and i really like the look of the dashboard how it is without some screen taking up all that space and making smaller buttons. i'm also happy it doesn't have the nakamichi, which would be cool except that they're now defunct and parts are harder to come by, such as the LCD i had to replace, TWICE! come on japan, you're better than that

Old 11-07-14, 10:13 AM   #11
dveneman
Driver

Quote:
The "variance" shown in the photo is because I had not yet snapped the registers back in place when I took the pictures. They were such a pain to get out, but I did so without damaging anything I am pleased to say.
Yes the X grip is a little clunky, but unlike other holders, it's easy to adjust, and utterly unflappable.
Old 11-07-14, 10:28 AM   #12
Kingsoup
Pole Position

good job! and fun thread title, I try to avoid my phone while driving, but I can see using google maps while in transit like that could be pretty useful.

My sweet built in Sat Nav usually shows me driving straight through a park in Yokohama when I switch to it, ahhh!
Air Suspension Controller/Radar Cruise
Sport Sedan Aspirations/Currently Cruise liner soft suspension

Current: 02 F150 5.4/12 Focus Ti/97 Cr250R/96 Katana 600/05 AC 500M
Previous: 93 Celsior/93 3000gtVR4/95 WRXsti/5 Supras/
Kingsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 12:05 PM   #13
Kansas
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dveneman View Post
The "variance" shown in the photo is because I had not yet snapped the registers back in place when I took the pictures. They were such a pain to get out, but I did so without damaging anything I am pleased to say.
Reach through the vent slats with small blade screwdrivers and pull the retaining clip on both interior sides of the vent frame inward as you slide the vent assembly out. The vent assembly will slide out effortlessly.
Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 05:01 PM   #14
Stroock639
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dveneman View Post
They were such a pain to get out, but I did so without damaging anything I am pleased to say.
i used to think it was such a nightmare to take that vent assy out but one day i saw some tutorial on how to remove it and i can't believe what an idiot i was being about taking it out

shine a light into the vents and on the sides of the vents closer to the sides of the car there is an easily noticeable metal clip inside each. pull out on each of the tabs while you have some kind of prying tool at the top center of the assy and the entire piece (without falling apart or really needing any effort) should just easily slide out

Old 11-07-14, 05:01 PM