LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing belt vs shop manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 11:24 PM
nfernandez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt vs shop manual

Does anybody on this site know where I can get a 1997 ls400 shop manual for less than 150 dollars
or so, if not does anyone know how much it would cost to have the timing belt changed? I'm looking
to change it myself but if the average price of having it changed is low enough I may just chuck it at a garage and save myself the head ache.
Old 11-04-14, 02:37 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Firestone was $1400. another independent was 1200, Lexus dealer was 1100 with a loner included. Parts will run about 200, if your time means nothing then you could do it for that. Also if not done right it could cost the price of an engine and installation. And that will exceed the cost to have it done at the Lexus dealer.
Old 11-04-14, 11:11 AM
Imolas4
Rookie

Originally Posted by nfernandez
Does anybody on this site know where I can get a 1997 ls400 shop manual for less than 150 dollars
or so, if not does anyone know how much it would cost to have the timing belt changed? I'm looking
to change it myself but if the average price of having it changed is low enough I may just chuck it at a garage and save myself the head ache.

Hi there. I also searched for a manual for my 1997. I wasn't about to spend so much money while not knowing if I ca do it or not. In the end I said F*-it and took the car to the shop. Tbelt replacement was $425 labor / $250 parts . The car is old... some things are caked on there and it was just a smarter move to have someone with the right equipment and means. Saved me a lot of headache, time and money.

Old 11-04-14, 12:25 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes its the problem of dealing with crusty wires and other plastic parts on older cars. When I did a fan bearing bracket on a 90 the radiator outlet fell apart, so had to do a new radiator as well.
Old 11-04-14, 03:00 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I hear you but ... how do the pro's have any easier time with the crusted on oil / brittle plastic and hoses / etc.?

I usually do almost everything other than warranty work on all my cars, and take the extra time to clean things, replace brittle/cracked hoses, and yes, it takes a while the first time I venture into a new area. I tell myself it saves time in the long run. E.g. an oil change is not just an oil change. It's an oil change, cleaning and inspection.

But seriously, what do the pro's do there? Obviously they would probably not care enough to clean everything carefully like I do. But the brittle stuff is going to crack, etc. Or not? And I expect the customer would pay for anything that cracks due to age, assuming normal procedures are followed.

BTW, the $425 labor, $250 parts sounds like a great deal. For a T-belt, you always need to check carefully on which of the many optional pulleys, tensioners, etc. are replaced so you know you are comparing apples to apples with different shops.
Old 11-04-14, 03:41 PM
Imolas4
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I hear you but ... how do the pro's have any easier time with the crusted on oil / brittle plastic and hoses / etc.?

I usually do almost everything other than warranty work on all my cars, and take the extra time to clean things, replace brittle/cracked hoses, and yes, it takes a while the first time I venture into a new area. I tell myself it saves time in the long run. E.g. an oil change is not just an oil change. It's an oil change, cleaning and inspection.

But seriously, what do the pro's do there? Obviously they would probably not care enough to clean everything carefully like I do. But the brittle stuff is going to crack, etc. Or not? And I expect the customer would pay for anything that cracks due to age, assuming normal procedures are followed.

BTW, the $425 labor, $250 parts sounds like a great deal. For a T-belt, you always need to check carefully on which of the many optional pulleys, tensioners, etc. are replaced so you know you are comparing apples to apples with different shops.
Since you know what you're doing, the TB kits are $170-300 dollars, so you will have everything you need, minus coolant (maybe crank or cam seals)

The ease of doing things all depends on your skill level,experience and tools. I don't have great skill with this car nor did I have the tools required. It's also cold out so the best option was to just send it to the shop. I could have had my buddies help me to do the project but in the end it would have been a waste of time.

BTW, my 425/250 cost was for all of the timing belt job components, NOTHING was left out. So i got a really good deal.
Old 11-04-14, 04:40 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

doing it yourself, if you have the tools, time, and knowhow, will gain your invaluable knowledge and confidence in your car! i say do it yourself, AND there are lots of info here to help!

i did the job w/o use of the factory service manual. i simply used all the info i gathered here. this is a good place to start, even though it's for a 1st gen, it still applies!
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

also here is my thread on how i did it. it's not a DIY but just shows what it takes. i did it w/o use of air tools, or a lift! scroll down.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...n-ls400-2.html
Old 11-04-14, 07:29 PM
nfernandez
Driver School Candidate

Yeah shop manual prices are insane the cheapest one I could find online was $300 but I think that I'll just have to bite the bullet and have it professionally done.
Old 11-04-14, 07:34 PM
Imolas4
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
doing it yourself, if you have the tools, time, and knowhow, will gain your invaluable knowledge and confidence in your car! i say do it yourself, AND there are lots of info here to help!

i did the job w/o use of the factory service manual. i simply used all the info i gathered here. this is a good place to start, even though it's for a 1st gen, it still applies!
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

also here is my thread on how i did it. it's not a DIY but just shows what it takes. i did it w/o use of air tools, or a lift! scroll down.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...n-ls400-2.html
Correct. Great info on this website for DIY.