LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 ls400 nakamichi skipping problem radio cd cassette

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 01:47 PM
Jofosho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ls400 nakamichi skipping problem radio cd cassette

Noticed my stereo skipped if I turned up volume to loud (anything half way and over)

been looking through threads I want to say the last hour and no luck. Only thread that helped was the one title "Nakamichi stereo help please!!"

I purchased a new Nakamichi Amp off ebay and It still skips so it has to be something else.

Read online that it had to be the "amp" or the "volume control unit" causing my problems.

seeing as new amp did not fix my problems..it has to be the "volume control unit" so where can I find this piece? been looking all over.. to no avail.

or is the volume control unit just an entire new head unit..?

let me know

thanks!
Old 10-27-14, 01:54 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

so no matter what media you are listening to, radio CD and cassette, it always skips if the volume is too high? sometimes bad or damaged CDs contribute to skipping, but you also mentioned radio and cassette.

volume comes from the headunit so yes it's the entire HU if that is the culprit.
Old 10-27-14, 02:01 PM
Jofosho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
so no matter what media you are listening to, radio CD and cassette, it always skips if the volume is too high? sometimes bad or damaged CDs contribute to skipping, but you also mentioned radio and cassette.

volume comes from the headunit so yes it's the entire HU if that is the culprit.

Thanks for the response! and yes, it is from every source. CD's, cassette (or cassette iPod adapter), or even the radio on any station..

that answered my question then lol just wish there was a cheaper solution.

well 98-00 nakamichi amp will be for sale soon then haha i don't need two
Old 10-31-14, 02:54 AM
Jofosho
Driver School Candidate

Default Nakamichi Stereo. Last question I swear. skipping amplifier head unit

98 ls400 Nakamichi

Problem:

Nakamichi stereo Skips whenever I play anything...Cd,Cassette, Radio, doesn't matter

What I have done:

New Nakamichi Amplifier (under passenger seat)
-unfortunately this did not fix my problem. It still skips

Seeing as that did not work. What i found in previous threads is that it might be the "volume control module" so i purchased this...

New Nakamichi Head Unit
- This did not solve my problem either..

This is my new question:

I see there is a box on the back of the 6 Disc CD Changer. is this another Amplifier that might be the culprit to my problems? This is my last attempt to fix this. IF it does not work im gutting this Nakamichi out of my car and putting my own stereo in (rather not do it, but low volume music in car..sucks) lol

thanks guys!
Old 10-31-14, 07:30 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Does your car have or has it ever had a Lexus phone system? A "short" in the phone ECU under the false floor on the right side of the trunk is a common cause of this problem.
Old 10-31-14, 02:07 PM
Jofosho
Driver School Candidate

this is my trunk. where phone ECU used to be. any diagrams on how to fix this circuit with no ECU?
Old 10-31-14, 03:19 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

yikes! you found your culprit!

remove anything non-OEM, and match all the wiring colors back to each other. where are all these going to?! aftermarket amp or headunit?! you don't need a phone ECU. just make sure the wiring is not shorting or grounding itself intermittently.
Old 11-01-14, 08:00 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The "gray with green stripe" wire on one of the large phone ECU connectors in the trunk is the audio system mute. Verify that it is not wet, corroded or getting intermittently grounded.

When there is no phone ECU, the connectors should be attached to a plastic bracket on the bottom of the tool kit receptacle.
Old 01-04-15, 01:30 PM
Jofosho
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Hey y'all,

Its been a while since I posted but heres what I did

I removed all non-oem components and plugged the female and the male connectors together and put it back under the tool box where there was a clip to hold it in place.

I still have the same problems that I have been having before. I am terrible at wiring things and wondering if anyone knows of someone here in florida that might be able to come check out my car cause it has to be a wiring issue. It seems no wires were removed that were OEM.

I love my car but I need music. tired of not being able to turn it up at all. is it ok where its at. yes. But I would love to be able to listen to loud music (when the windows are down for instants)

let me know if there is anything else I should try. I have replaced it all. I recently read about a "balance control connection" that might be loose in the headunit I am going to check outl.

Replaced the amp and the headunit with no luck. so its back to the drawing board.

thanks a million.
Old 01-04-15, 05:28 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Jofosho
Noticed my stereo skipped if I turned up volume to loud (anything half way and over)

been looking through threads I want to say the last hour and no luck. Only thread that helped was the one title "Nakamichi stereo help please!!"

I purchased a new Nakamichi Amp off ebay and It still skips so it has to be something else.

Read online that it had to be the "amp" or the "volume control unit" causing my problems.

seeing as new amp did not fix my problems..it has to be the "volume control unit" so where can I find this piece? been looking all over.. to no avail.

or is the volume control unit just an entire new head unit..?

let me know

thanks!
Check the voltage regulator circuit for the processor in the head unit. Observe the Vcc line using an oscilloscope. I bet you can see the voltage going down when the sound level is high. Dropped voltage often malfunctions the processor. You need some skill to fix this though.