LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Alignment Issue - Caster

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 10:53 AM
Michael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Issue - Caster

When an alignment was done recently, both camber and toe has been adjusted on all four wheels. Then, I've been told that Caster is off and this cannot be adjusted. Also I've been told that it comes from car being aged.

What is an effect riding with Cater off. Is this critical and how do you correct this problem?

Stock spec for Caster is 6.3 to 7.8 deg and my 93 LS4 is currently at 9.66 deg on left and 9.40 deg on right.
Old 10-23-14, 01:00 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Caster is just like the name for the little wheel on a cart called casters. It is what helps keep the wheels to return to straight after making a turn. I don't thing there is a problem with the numbers you have. If it works good I wouldn't worry about it. Did they find any looseness in the suspension?
Old 10-23-14, 03:14 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

how are your strut rod bushings? if there is any wear on them, which is highly probable, then that is contributing to bad caster.

however it looks like the caster is off together, so i would not worry about it too much if toe and camber is within spec also.
Old 10-23-14, 08:21 PM
Caniac14
Driver

Sorry to thread jack but I figured it's an alignment caster question so what the heck. lol.

I noticed after a recent alignment that it was harder to turn my wheel at a stand still. I asked the guy and he said caster has to do with how you car aligns the tires straight again, but he couldn't remember which direction made it faster or slower, he just put mine into spec(I'm assuming the UCF20's are adjustable and the UCF10s are not?)

And for those who say check the PS, trust me that's the first thing I checked. Fluid level was good with no bubbles or visible leaks. Better not be considering I just put in all new PS pump, sensor, belt, and alternator. lol.
Old 10-23-14, 09:35 PM
Michael
Driver

Default Caster Fix

Originally Posted by dicer
Caster is just like the name for the little wheel on a cart called casters. It is what helps keep the wheels to return to straight after making a turn. I don't thing there is a problem with the numbers you have. If it works good I wouldn't worry about it. Did they find any looseness in the suspension?
dicer, no loose suspension in front. I’ve been told that bushings in front strut may be the villain and I am wondering if just bushing is replaceable.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
how are your strut rod bushings? if there is any wear on them, which is highly probable, then that is contributing to bad caster.

however it looks like the caster is off together, so i would not worry about it too much if toe and camber is within spec also.
timmy, My front strut rod bushings in front has no movement by hand but they are original with the mileage recorded on the bottom. I've bought the car new and driven gently. For the first gen LS, the strut rod bushing are not too much of a problem compared to the second gen LS, I've noticed in this forum.

On a different note, the rear strut rod bushings on the knuckle side is loose and I have to replace that on the driver side.
Old 10-24-14, 02:07 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

At 135 K nothing on the front or rear suspension of any car should need to be replaced of fixed, unless it went off road for some reason or hit a curb or what ever. By any car I mean especially a Lexus or any well designed car.
Old 10-24-14, 07:27 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Caniac14
Sorry to thread jack but I figured it's an alignment caster question so what the heck. lol.

I noticed after a recent alignment that it was harder to turn my wheel at a stand still. I asked the guy and he said caster has to do with how you car aligns the tires straight again, but he couldn't remember which direction made it faster or slower, he just put mine into spec(I'm assuming the UCF20's are adjustable and the UCF10s are not?)

And for those who say check the PS, trust me that's the first thing I checked. Fluid level was good with no bubbles or visible leaks. Better not be considering I just put in all new PS pump, sensor, belt, and alternator. lol.
I don't want him doing my alignment if he can't even remember the basics of his job.
Old 10-24-14, 02:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
At 135 K nothing on the front or rear suspension of any car should need to be replaced of fixed, unless it went off road for some reason or hit a curb or what ever. By any car I mean especially a Lexus or any well designed car.
The LS is notorious for eating front strut rod bushings well before 135k miles. Rear carrier arm bushings usually go around 125-175k miles, and sway bar endlinks are due as needed.

Rubber parts aren't immune to the throes of time. As has been repeatedly evidenced by cars needing the aforementioned bushings/bearings.

In OP's case, i'm betting on well worn strut rod bushings as well as old shocks (which lower ride height)
Old 10-25-14, 03:12 PM
Michael
Driver

Default Weight Issue

LS is the first V8 sedan the Toyota has put out in production. Many of suspension parts are reused from Toyota Cressida and most likely the weight of the LS would not have been considered fully in design. I started to have the front shimmy issues at 30K miles on mine and still having the issues. More like living with it, or gotten used to it.

I am still enjoying the ride quality of the LS though. I would not try to have it any other way, if it all possible.
Old 10-25-14, 03:14 PM
Michael
Driver

Default Sway Bar End Link

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
The LS is notorious for eating front strut rod bushings well before 135k miles. Rear carrier arm bushings usually go around 125-175k miles, and sway bar endlinks are due as needed.

Rubber parts aren't immune to the throes of time. As has been repeatedly evidenced by cars needing the aforementioned bushings/bearings.

In OP's case, i'm betting on well worn strut rod bushings as well as old shocks (which lower ride height)
When you say sway bar end link, are you referring to the rear ones or the front? Because you've mentioned the rear carrier bushings.... not sure...
Old 10-25-14, 04:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael
LS is the first V8 sedan the Toyota has put out in production. Many of suspension parts are reused from Toyota Cressida and most likely the weight of the LS would not have been considered fully in design. I started to have the front shimmy issues at 30K miles on mine and still having the issues. More like living with it, or gotten used to it.

I am still enjoying the ride quality of the LS though. I would not try to have it any other way, if it all possible.
very little if any of the suspension in the 1st gen LS400 was carried over from the cressida. the LS uses a completely different suspension layout. (double wishbone vs. macpherson strut). It's highly unlikely lexus "forgot" to factor in the weight. These are just old cars with soft rubber bushings from the factory to reduce NVH to the levels needed for the car to be church silent when new.

Originally Posted by Michael
When you say sway bar end link, are you referring to the rear ones or the front? Because you've mentioned the rear carrier bushings.... not sure...
I am referring to both, as there are sway bar end links on both the front and rear sway bars.
The carrier bushings are completely different and unrelated, as they are the lowest bushing in the rear spindle assembly, that connect to the traction rods (aka rear strut rods).