LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Opinions on selling my '06 Civic Si for an LS400

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 10:18 AM
SHOoff11
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on selling my '06 Civic Si for an LS400

As the title states I'm considering selling my 2006 Civic Si. It has 135k and is in decent shape, but I want something nicer. In the past I've had an '03 Acura CL-S, a fully loaded '95 Taurus SHO, and a '99 BMW 328i, so I'm used to leather, auto climate control, and all of the other nice things that come with higher end cars. I've always loved the LS400s, but just never had the chance to get one. My car will be paid off in February and I'm guessing I'll get slightly over $7k for it on a good day. My question is to everyone here is what do you think of me selling the Civic for a '95-'00 LS? I figured if I looked long and hard enough I could find a "lower mileage" LS for what I could get out of the Civic. Some pros and cons would be great!
Old 10-23-14, 12:01 PM
Can
Driver School Candidate

Hi SHOoff11 ,

Totally depends on your taste and what you want out of the car.

Civics Si are great cars, generally (stereotypically) driven by younger crowd who think they're going really fast. Not really fast though. Here are a few things.

Civic = Compact
LS = Full size Sedan

Civic = Shoebox light
LS = Tank heavy

Civic = FWD
LS = RWD

Civic = Eco
LS = Luxury ( too much Luxury IMHO )

Civic = Regular Gas
LS = Premium Gas

Civic = Good fuel economy
LS = It's a damn V8! (but Fuel economy is comparable to V6s)

enough already!

Hey man, if you drive an LS, you'll understand why people go for it. It's just amazing ride quality compared to Civics. For a 7k$ , you can get a decent 98 or even a 99 LS400 with similar mileage as your CivicSi, and trust me, it's well worth it.

Expect less upgrade options than civic . LS guys are more like a "VIP style" modding mindset. Performance upgrades can cost you serious money (I'm talking M112 or M90 SCs). But with 290+HP, a 98/99 LS is more than enough power you need. It just put my ECT to "Power" and smoke civic drivers everyday! :P

Once you move from a 2006 Civic Si to a 98/99 Ls400, you'll actually feel "upgraded". Everything is premium,including the sound system, dashboard, remote start etc . (see the hidden features thread) .

It's a choice for more serious drivers. I personally chose to keep my LS because my old folks enjoy the smooth ride and the comfort level it has. It's got a much longer wheel base, plus 16" stock tires give low road noise and an extremely stable engine.

If I could spend 7k and get a 98 or a 99 ls400. I wouldn't think twice.

HAVING said that! Look for the following :

a) When was the timing belt replaced?
b) When(and not IF) was the starter replaced?
c) Is the power-steering pump leaking at all?
d) Suspension and alignment

If these are covered and the body is in mint condition. Go for it.

My brother bought a 2012 Altima, and when he drove my 95 LS , he was very impressed as it had almost all the things of a car that's 17 years newer. It's a stable car that'll last you a lifetime.
Old 10-23-14, 01:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Good primer Can

Read through the FAQ so that you see what are common discussions with this car and as they age. That said, your price point is a good spot to find an LS that isn't beat.
Old 10-23-14, 01:05 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

I woudln't do it, the Civic Si is a more fun car, just as reliable if not more so, way better mileage, more modern interior and a lot newer.

Thats one of the funnest cars that is cheap to own you can own. Not that I don't like the LS400, but as my only car? Civic wins everytime for me.
Old 10-23-14, 01:29 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i can totally go both ways on this but being the old dude that i am (early 30s) i prefer to ride in comfort with automatic trans and leather. a UCF20 is a perfect choice, but i would def look for 98-00 models since they are the most refined of the bunch.

i came from a honda background and i can see the fun aspect of the SI. in fact i still own my H22-swapped accord, but i hardly drive it anymore with stiff suspension and manual trans. i've driven many SIs (FAs/FGs) and i can attest to their performance and handling but nothing beats the LS for comfort. plus they are built better, being a much older car too!
Old 10-23-14, 02:03 PM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to consider is the relative scarcity of LSes compared to Civics. Your local Carmax isn't going to have 3 of them loitering on the lot. They only sold about 50,000 units total of the final 98-00 version, for instance. If you need to sell the Civic before you begin shopping for the LS, you might be without a car for a while, as it could take some time to find just the right LS at just the right price. It took me 4 months to find my baby, though I was being especially picky.

Last edited by mappo; 10-23-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-24-14, 05:07 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

There are two low mileage late model 400's on the dallas CL site...
Sounds like you know you want to upgrade from the ride of the civic and you've got some experience with the nicer cars. The 98-00 models are certainly the cream of the crop and worth finding a clean one. I don't believe you will be disappointed. Get what you want, but know, as stated above, you may have to look a bit to get the car you really want. So give yourself plenty of time so you don't just buy what's on the market at the moment but can wait and get the car you want.
Old 10-24-14, 09:43 AM
SHOoff11
Driver

Originally Posted by Can
Hi SHOoff11 ,

Totally depends on your taste and what you want out of the car.

Civics Si are great cars, generally (stereotypically) driven by younger crowd who think they're going really fast. Not really fast though. Here are a few things.

Civic = Compact
LS = Full size Sedan

Civic = Shoebox light
LS = Tank heavy

Civic = FWD
LS = RWD

Civic = Eco
LS = Luxury ( too much Luxury IMHO )

Civic = Regular Gas
LS = Premium Gas

Civic = Good fuel economy
LS = It's a damn V8! (but Fuel economy is comparable to V6s)

enough already!

Hey man, if you drive an LS, you'll understand why people go for it. It's just amazing ride quality compared to Civics. For a 7k$ , you can get a decent 98 or even a 99 LS400 with similar mileage as your CivicSi, and trust me, it's well worth it.

Expect less upgrade options than civic . LS guys are more like a "VIP style" modding mindset. Performance upgrades can cost you serious money (I'm talking M112 or M90 SCs). But with 290+HP, a 98/99 LS is more than enough power you need. It just put my ECT to "Power" and smoke civic drivers everyday! :P

Once you move from a 2006 Civic Si to a 98/99 Ls400, you'll actually feel "upgraded". Everything is premium,including the sound system, dashboard, remote start etc . (see the hidden features thread) .

It's a choice for more serious drivers. I personally chose to keep my LS because my old folks enjoy the smooth ride and the comfort level it has. It's got a much longer wheel base, plus 16" stock tires give low road noise and an extremely stable engine.

If I could spend 7k and get a 98 or a 99 ls400. I wouldn't think twice.

HAVING said that! Look for the following :

a) When was the timing belt replaced?
b) When(and not IF) was the starter replaced?
c) Is the power-steering pump leaking at all?
d) Suspension and alignment

If these are covered and the body is in mint condition. Go for it.

My brother bought a 2012 Altima, and when he drove my 95 LS , he was very impressed as it had almost all the things of a car that's 17 years newer. It's a stable car that'll last you a lifetime.
Thank you so much for the plethora of information! I've been reading about these cars for some time now, and I feel like I can DIY most of the repairs this car would need. As for premium fuel the Si requires it and so has every single other car I've owned so that's not a big issue for me. I think I've about convinced the wife even though the car is older it's just as reliable if not more than the Civic. I'm going to try and find one to drive today so she can get a feel for one even though she won't be driving it that much.

Originally Posted by RA40
Good primer Can

Read through the FAQ so that you see what are common discussions with this car and as they age. That said, your price point is a good spot to find an LS that isn't beat.
Good to know, I figured my price range would yield something decent.

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
I woudln't do it, the Civic Si is a more fun car, just as reliable if not more so, way better mileage, more modern interior and a lot newer.

Thats one of the funnest cars that is cheap to own you can own. Not that I don't like the LS400, but as my only car? Civic wins everytime for me.
The Civic is fun, but I don't drive it that hard. The fit and finish of this car is pure garbage, my family is owned Hondas in the past and that has by far been the most poorly built. The 8th gen civics have paint issues, and the tranny on the SIs are garbage, I'm looking to get rid of mine before I have to rebuild the tranny.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i can totally go both ways on this but being the old dude that i am (early 30s) i prefer to ride in comfort with automatic trans and leather. a UCF20 is a perfect choice, but i would def look for 98-00 models since they are the most refined of the bunch.

i came from a honda background and i can see the fun aspect of the SI. in fact i still own my H22-swapped accord, but i hardly drive it anymore with stiff suspension and manual trans. i've driven many SIs (FAs/FGs) and i can attest to their performance and handling but nothing beats the LS for comfort. plus they are built better, being a much older car too!
I'm actually only 22 but I've always loved large sedans, especially the LS. My dad has an RX350 and I love the quality of it. He's put almost 70k on the car in a little over a year and a half and there hasn't been a single problem with it. As for a fun car an M3 will be coming within the next two years hopefully, then I have a luxo barge and a fun car.

Originally Posted by mappo
Another thing to consider is the relative scarcity of LSes compared to Civics. Your local Carmax isn't going to have 3 of them loitering on the lot. They only sold about 50,000 units total of the final 98-00 version, for instance. If you need to sell the Civic before you begin shopping for the LS, you might be without a car for a while, as it could take some time to find just the right LS at just the right price. It took me 4 months to find my baby, though I was being especially picky.
Before I sell the Civic I'm going to try and get my '83 BMW 733i drivable. It's my project car, but could get me around for a bit of I needed it to. I'll have to sell the civic first anyway so I can get the cash.

Originally Posted by Legender
There are two low mileage late model 400's on the dallas CL site...
Sounds like you know you want to upgrade from the ride of the civic and you've got some experience with the nicer cars. The 98-00 models are certainly the cream of the crop and worth finding a clean one. I don't believe you will be disappointed. Get what you want, but know, as stated above, you may have to look a bit to get the car you really want. So give yourself plenty of time so you don't just buy what's on the market at the moment but can wait and get the car you want.
I'm perfectly willing to travel to get exactly what I want, I figured Texas or South Florida would be where I'd have to go to find one of these cars in good shape. I flew to St. Louis, MO one way to get my SHO and drove it back to Mobile.
Old 10-24-14, 10:18 AM
Can
Driver School Candidate

Have your way with it. I have a 95 and just last night, the mechanic's shop was saying my car is old and doesnt have an OBD2 port or a security system. They were wrong in both. With a 98-00 LS , you're looking at same , if not better technology in a 2006 or 2007 Toyota or Honda . Here's something to make it even better :

http://www.vmrcanada.com/reference/r...ity_survey.htm

Last year Lexus was on top. It's only because they started making IS, ES and RX models domestically here that the reliability of used cars has declined.

But your wife, take her out for a ride in a neat and clean 98+ LS400, and she'll be convinced.
Old 10-24-14, 11:35 AM
SHOoff11
Driver

Originally Posted by Can
Have your way with it. I have a 95 and just last night, the mechanic's shop was saying my car is old and doesnt have an OBD2 port or a security system. They were wrong in both. With a 98-00 LS , you're looking at same , if not better technology in a 2006 or 2007 Toyota or Honda . Here's something to make it even better :

http://www.vmrcanada.com/reference/r...ity_survey.htm

Last year Lexus was on top. It's only because they started making IS, ES and RX models domestically here that the reliability of used cars has declined.

But your wife, take her out for a ride in a neat and clean 98+ LS400, and she'll be convinced.
Glad to hear about the reliability. I've always heard the toyotas/Lexus with a "J" vin were practically indestructible. I've checked Craigslist and Autotrader and I don't see anything locally to go test drive, but I may drive around later and see if I can't find one at a small lot or something to show the wife. She's driven Chevy's, a blazer and a Avalanche, so there's no way she won't like the LS, at lest I hope so.
Old 10-24-14, 03:27 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

I didn't know that about those Civic's, I thought they were pretty much super solid cars!

The fit and finish of the LS is super good, theres no doubt there. I just think the Civic is a superior daily driver if its your only car, Although I see you live in a non-winter area you don't need to worry about RWD snow head-aches, test drive a good one and see how it compares. Also do you drive a lot? the MPG and premium thing could get old.
Old 10-25-14, 07:50 AM
SHOoff11
Driver

I'd drive quite a bit, maybe 300mi a week. I'm at my in-laws this weekend and drove all over looking for one to drive, but was unable to find one. There is a '00 with 103k at at a buy here, pay here lot right by my house. The car has been in an accident, one headlight is newer than the other and the hood lines don't match up. I may still go drive it just because that's the only thing local I can find.
Old 10-26-14, 06:22 PM
SHOoff11
Driver

I'm calling about a '99 (white/tan 122k nav coilovers with maintenance done) tomorrow that's in Miami (I'm in Mobile). The only thing that doesn't work is the steering wheel tilt. If I decide to get it, I'm paying the loan off on the Si tomorrow and taking out another one until I can sell the Civic. A family friend is going to sell it for me and usually sells cars in less than a week so I'm not too worried. I'll update this thread once I figure everything out.

Last edited by SHOoff11; 10-26-14 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 12:10 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

steering wheel tilt is a common (and easy) fix. hopefully the price is within reason and the car turns out to be to your liking. keep us informed please!
Old 10-27-14, 03:52 PM
SHOoff11
Driver

I talked to the guy today and he was super knowledgable and has fixed a bunch of stuff on the car since he's owned it. I'm getting more detailed pictures of it tonight so I can make my final decision. If all goes well I'll be going to the credit union to get the loan and get the car this weekend. I'm hoping I can get it for $8000, but I'll keep this thread updated with whatever happens.

Quick Reply: Opinions on selling my '06 Civic Si for an LS400