LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 Ls400 Fob Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 01:11 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Default 1999 Ls400 Fob Key

on one of my 99 LS's, my fob key will lock all the doors when you press LOCK,
but when you press unlock, nothing unlocks.. no sound, nothing
and even the trunk release (on fob) quit working.

once again, push lock button and car locks (as it should)
but nothing else works (of course I can unlock with the key)
but no other action, no unlock and no trunk release (with button)

have I made that clear, my FOB will lock my car but will do nothing else..

do any of you have any experience with this problem???

the key starts the car, and the alarm works, I had to unlock with key to stop it.

ANY HELP???
Attached Thumbnails 1999 Ls400 Fob Key-100_2083.jpg  
Old 10-21-14, 02:11 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Sometimes my fob wont unlock or lock after repeated attempts then out of nowhere it starts working fine. I've been meaning to get a new battery to see if that fixes the problem.
Old 10-21-14, 02:37 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

not my problem
Old 10-21-14, 04:01 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

change the battery and see if the problem persists.
Old 10-21-14, 04:10 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

been there done that
Old 10-21-14, 07:11 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

how old is that key? some of the internal connections may just be starting to go bad. don't really see what else can be done besides getting a new key, but that's pretty expensive
Old 10-24-14, 07:03 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

I have found out that the trouble is in the 3 button unit in my key, not the car..
here is what I am going to try.... ordering a matching ebay key with the 3 button assembly in it, put the 3 button in my shell and have park place program it $55 for me..... they offered me a 3 button key for 200. plus the 55$
ebay is lower.

I will see if that works and report...
Attached Thumbnails 1999 Ls400 Fob Key-1616battery.jpg   1999 Ls400 Fob Key-case1616.jpg  
Old 10-24-14, 07:19 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
I have found out that the trouble is in the 3 button unit in my key, not the car..
here is what I am going to try.... ordering a matching ebay key with the 3 button assembly in it, put the 3 button in my shell and have park place program it $55 for me..... they offered me a 3 button key for 200. plus the 55$
ebay is lower. .
Is it cheaper to get the new key cut instead of the old one reprogrammed? If so then pay that fee, then with your old fob as the master you can reprogram the new one yourself.

By the way, Sewell will sell you a new 3-button key cut to your VIN for $154, which you can then program yourself with your old key as the template.

Last edited by mappo; 10-24-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-24-14, 08:44 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mappo
Is it cheaper to get the new key cut instead of the old one reprogrammed? If so then pay that fee, then with your old fob as the master you can reprogram the new one yourself.

By the way, Sewell will sell you a new 3-button key cut to your VIN for $154, which you can then program yourself with your old key as the template.
I TRIED, had the key cut, tried to reprogram the 3 button unit and it will not reprogram, it is faulty.
that is why I am getting a different 3 button....
Old 10-24-14, 09:10 AM
mappo
Driver

I TRIED, had the key cut, tried to reprogram the 3 button unit and it will not reprogram, it is faulty.
that is why I am getting a different 3 button....
I'm not 100% sure I'm following, so forgive me if I'm getting it wrong. If the fob still locks the doors, and allows the car to start, its programming isn't bad - it's still paired to your car's ECU. It's the button mechanisms themselves that are bad, right? So your existing fob doesn't need to be reprogrammed, and you can use it to program any new fobs/keys you get.
Old 10-24-14, 10:37 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

RIGHT ON... when you reprogram a key/transmitter, after your 5/LU OC 5/LU K in turn -remove, then you press lock & unlock buttons at the same time THAT is where my unit fails, the UNLOCK button makes no contact, and the car alarm goes off and you then need to put key into driver door and turn to stop alarm..
AND that is the problem the car locks, but the unlock - trunk buttons send no message, the light on the button assembly flashes showing contact .... but no message is sent.... ARE YOU WITH ME??
Old 10-24-14, 10:46 AM
mappo
Driver

RIGHT ON... when you reprogram a key/transmitter, after your 5/LU OC 5/LU K in turn -remove, then you press lock & unlock buttons at the same time THAT is where my unit fails, the UNLOCK button makes no contact, and the car alarm goes off and you then need to put key into driver door and turn to stop alarm..
AND that is the problem the car locks, but the unlock - trunk buttons send no message, the light on the button assembly flashes showing contact .... but no message is sent.... ARE YOU WITH ME??
What I'm saying is, you don't need to reprogram your existing fob. Its programming is fine already, it just has busted buttons.

When you program a key/fob the programming isn't to tell the buttons what to do, it's to tell your car to accept that particular key's signal. Your car already accepts that fob's signals so there's no need to tell it again.

You need an entirely new fob, and you can program it using the lock/unlock hokeypokey sequence, rather than paying a dealer $55 to do it. It doesn't even need a key if you want to save the cutting cost - you can remove the metal stalk and just attach the plastic unit to your keychain as a companion fob to your existing key. When I bought my car that's what the original owner was doing. On the keychain was a fob-less key for the ignition and a 3-button fob with the metal stalk removed for button features.

Last edited by mappo; 10-24-14 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-24-14, 05:55 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by mappo
What I'm saying is, you don't need to reprogram your existing fob. Its programming is fine already, it just has busted buttons.

When you program a key/fob the programming isn't to tell the buttons what to do, it's to tell your car to accept that particular key's signal. Your car already accepts that fob's signals so there's no need to tell it again.

You need an entirely new fob, and you can to program it using the lock/unlock hokeypokey sequence, rather than paying a dealer $55 to do it. It doesn't even need a key if you want to save the cutting cost - you can remove the metal stalk and just attach the plastic unit to your keychain as a companion fob to your existing key. When I bought my car that's what the original owner was doing. On the keychain was a fob-less key for the ignition and a 3-button fob with the metal stalk removed for button features.
Oh, Yes. That is a smarter and inexpensive way.
I only spent about $5 for a used fob and reprogrammed it. The detail for my Celsior is not yet posted but I posted the process for my wife's car Toyota Caldina. You can find it at my blog page below which is reporting what I do to my good old American colleagues.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mae_yas/6243892.html
Old 10-24-14, 06:03 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

This thread sounds like a recruiting speech!

On one of my remotes, one of the actual internal buttons on the circuit board that get pressed by the outer plastic buttons have had their little pins break off where they are soldered. It results in the unlock button not working, but it still clicks and feels like they all should work. Taking the remote all the way apart showed that the actual unlock button wasn't even attached to the board
Old 10-30-14, 08:04 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

I'll sure be glad when my key arrives.... coming from NJ must be using media mail for cheap rates..
New Uncut Blade Ignition Key Keyless Entry Remote Fob Transmitter For HYQ1512V ...

Quick Reply: 1999 Ls400 Fob Key